Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

Hedera

Thanks for the support everyone!

The thing is, I started this (and I really had more a One Deck Wonder period in mind, I guess) to try and free myself from the 'Tigger-tarot', which I tend to practice a lot; a frantic hopping from deck to deck, looking for the 'perfect' one (at least for that moment, that mood), which of course doesn't exist.

It's something that I do in other areas of my life as well - and it doesn't really have anything to do with the decks (or other objects) themselves, more with a certain restlessness.

I was hoping that by sticking to one deck for a long period of time, there would be no question in my mind about changing over; this was just My Deck, period. At least for the time being.

I think it might also have something to do with getting slightly bored with my card-of-the-day routine, which also happens; for a while, I tend to get a lot out of them, and then all of a sudden they stop meaning anything to me.

So, rather than switching to another deck (I wouldn't stop at 'looking at' one, or two, or half a dozen...), I'm going to take a break for a few days, have a bit of a breather, wait until I'm a little more balanced.
After that, I think I'll try and come up with a new (study-) routine, either for the Fantastic Menagerie or another deck. Something that will probably not involve daily cards, but perhaps more spreads, or other ways of working with the cards (I have several books that I'd like to work with, like the one by Mark McElroy, or the 21 Ways one).

For now, I think, I would consider myself on hiatus. :)

rwcarter

Hedera,

If you're looking at other ways to work with the cards, check out the Ancient Egyptian Tarot Study Group (in Individual Study Groups). I did both astrological associations and tarot constellations studies for that deck.

Rodney

Hedera

rwcarter said:
Hedera,

If you're looking at other ways to work with the cards, check out the Ancient Egyptian Tarot Study Group (in Individual Study Groups). I did both astrological associations and tarot constellations studies for that deck.

Rodney

Hi Rodney,

Thanks, I'll do that!

Hmmmmm, that's another very nice deck, the Ancient Egyptian... ;)

Onyx

I may call it quits a few weeks early

I had thought that I would work with non-scenic pips until winter started but I think I am done.

I have founf that I do like the TdM Fourier deck I have but not the US Ga.es Tarot Classic. It was too green for me.

Two and a half months was good to break me out of the funk I was in at the end of summer.

I am looking at focusing on the Mona Lisa or thw new LS golden Dawn deck. I am considering using the Robert Wang guide to the Golden Dawn Tarot Book to go with it since it has the original GD documents.

But I can't decide. I will be choosing one though.

Onyx.

Essjay

Finished IDS - for now!

Well, my IDS with the Radiant Rider Waite has finished and I've really enjoyed it. I think limiting myself to just a month and then leaving it open ended works for me - I feel less pressure and keep with it for longer. I'm much more comfortable with the tarot now than before and the courts are getting there. I've moved on to the Robin Wood now but wouldn't like to call it an IDS as I quite like dipping into the BG at this time of year so shouldn't commit.

What I love about the two IDS's that I've done is that it really does curb spending - this time more so than last time. I have bought some back-ups and done a little trading but I look at my collection with a more appreciative air as there are many there which I could IDS with.

Anyway, hope everyone else is enjoying their IDS and hope you all have a great festive season.

:heart:

rwcarter

Congrats Onyx and Essjay on finishing your IDSs!

Remember the IDS can be whatever you want it to be (even allowing yourself to use other decks), so if/when you decide to do another IDS, we'll be here. :)

Rodney

Essjay

rwcarter said:
Congrats Onyx and Essjay on finishing your IDSs!

Remember the IDS can be whatever you want it to be (even allowing yourself to use other decks), so if/when you decide to do another IDS, we'll be here. :)

Rodney

Thanks Rodney

I'll definately be back - I need the structure of an IDS otherwise I become a collector and not a reader!

:)

cal1304

hi there, i am new to these boards and new to tarot, i really like the idea of IDS but was wondering am I at to early a stage to be doing something like this or will this help me.

Thanks

rwcarter

cal1304 said:
hi there, i am new to these boards and new to tarot, i really like the idea of IDS but was wondering am I at to early a stage to be doing something like this or will this help me.

Thanks
Hi cal1304. Welcome to AT and to the wonderful world of tarot!

Actually I think you're at the perfect stage to do an IDS. Many of us when we were just starting out with tarot would flit from deck to deck and have no real focus when it came to getting to know a particular deck. The IDS is an ideal way to get to know your given deck. And the great thing about the IDS is that you decide what it will be for you. We're here for support and to help you get through the rough patch(es), but we're not here to judge. If you start an IDS and decide that it's not for you or that you chose the wrong deck, you'll get lots of support from the folks here.

What deck(s) do you have right now? (Or more precisely, what deck(s) would you consider doing an IDS with?)

Rodney

Prism

I agree with Rodney. I only really dove into Tarot a year ago, and I spent about six months with one deck (Tarot of Prague). Sticking with just one deck really helped me learn the cards. Since then I've done shorter stints with some other decks, and each one has deepened my understanding (which is still at a beginning stage!).

I think all you need to get started is a deck you love. I used a couple of books, too, but that seems to be a matter of personal preference.

Welcome to AT!