so I'm starting a blog

Wardi7

I've been reading through a couple Tarot blogs and realized I wanted to contribute because there isn't one (or at least I couldn't find one) that focused on the simple (almost minimalist) side of the cards. So I'm starting one. Would love to get some feedback on it and see what people think.

http://minimalisttarot.wordpress.com/

AJ

many folks, including myself, see a wall of words and their eyes glaze and they hit the back button. Think brevity...and paragraphs

Sometimes it takes me an hour to finish a blog post. (I post every day)
Not that long to write it...I can write like a madman, but then I go back and take out the unessential. That takes the time... :)

Welcome to AT if I haven't already said it!

bogiesan

Good luck and try to stick it out because starting a blog is far different from blogging.

Ace

many folks, including myself, see a wall of words and their eyes glaze and they hit the back button. Think brevity...and paragraphs

Sometimes it takes me an hour to finish a blog post. (I post every day)
Not that long to write it...I can write like a madman, but then I go back and take out the unessential. That takes the time... :)

Welcome to AT if I haven't already said it!

I too have a blog. thanks AJ for the advice, that is something I will very much take to heart!

Wardi7

@AJ: Need to figure out how to get the layout to include paragraphs (it was being very difficult). I, too, am a fan of brevity (recalling my Shakespeare), but sometimes length is required at the start.

@Ace & bogiesan: Thanks! Would love to check out yours Ace.

AJ

If you click on our usernames, there is a website link for folks here who have sites or blogs

Blogger has gone through a number of changes in the seven years I've been blogging, none of them user friendly but all eventually surmountable.

3ill.yazi

I hope this does not come off as too negative. I'm saying it as someone who does this sort of thing for a living.

1. Break up that block of text. People spend approximately two seconds when they land on a site deciding if they will stay there. If your blog is about minimalism, keep it simple. Less lead in, bold some text or do something else for emphasis. While in a fair universe the words should be judged in themselves, the visual does matter.

2. Put yourself in the reader's place. There is tons of material on the web about the tarot. Why should they read yours? What are you offering that is distinct in a pea soup of ideas competing for people's attention?

3. Do your homework. Plan. What is the purpose of the blog? What do you want people to do after reading a blog entry? Are you offering readings, etc. What is your specialty?

again, I say this with respect, and with an array of dead blogs behind me.

Theta Choir

I really love the idea of stripping away all the "extra" stuff and just concentrating on the cards themselves. I think there is definitely some merit in that approach.

That said, I agree with 3ill.yazi that the text on the "About" page really needs to be broken up.

Also, although the black and white color scheme most definitely goes along with a "minimalist" approach, I personally find it a bit dreary and even a little depressing. Of course, that is *totally* a matter of personal taste, so take it with a large grain of salt.

In any case, I hope you continue with the blog. Keep at it, and have fun! :)