Mary K Greer's Books

pink daliha

Mary K. Greer

I just have to put my two cents in about Mary K. Greer. Her books have been some of the most informative and helpful that I have used so far and I am pleased that so many have found them helpful as well.
I have been wanting to get more tarot books and I have been trying to determine which books to buy, but I was leaning towards more Mary K. Greer. So thanks, everybody for the great reviews.

Cassandra022

Tarot Reversals is a recent purchase for me relatively speaking but has quickly become my mostly go-to book to consult when I need a reminder/idea of additional meanings for a particular card in a reading. It helps that i'm apparently in the minority (here, at least) that has always read with reversals, but even the upright meanings...such succinct, THOROUGH explanations of possible card meanings. GREAT book.

Tarot for yourself...my first book of hers. Some of the exercises are quite useful/interesting. Some are just not for me, due to my approach to things/personal philosophy of what i do/don't believe in, but overall a useful book i've gone back to many times over the years

21 ways to read tarot is fascinating. sadly i've not really had time to work through the various exercises since getting it and that probably won't change much in the near future, but i really love the idea of this book, great way to experiment and expand your approach to the cards, great for a more advanced/experienced reader especially, methinks.

which is all to say, i personally am def a fan of mary k greers books :D

The crowned one

I have only read one of her books: Women of the Golden Dawn. Truly enjoyed it. I do follow her blog on and off, It is always interesting..

I am impressed with her research, for what it is worth.

vee

I like her books very much. I have 21 Ways, Tarot for Yourself, and Tarot Reversals. TR is a really awesome book that helped me to look at cards in different ways. I think my favorite part though is actually the appendix with the Heroine's Journey. I've used that for a lot of writing inspiration!

21 Ways is just fabulous and probably the one I'd recommend for a seasoned tarot reader. Tarot for Yourself is fun, but I found that some large sections of it didn't really apply to me. I still got a lot out of it, but if your'e going to get one, get 21 ways! :)

VGimlet

My favorite Greer book (full of yellow stickies and notes) is Tarot Reversals. It goes into each card in wonderful depth both upright and reversed and makes the theory of reversed cards make a lot of sense.

Could not recommend it enough.

Alta

Have to agree with this comment. I hated using reversals until I read this book, and it made me re-think my stance. I used them, I just had issues with them. :p

I found it very helpful for both upright and reversed as well. When I was doing my in-depth study of the Big Three it was invaluble.

Alta

Tarot Reversals is to me her most useful, go-to reference book though I have also benefited from 21 Ways which I found very interesting and provided some good insights. I also have her older books but it has been so long since I read them, I think that I only use Tarot Constellations now as a reference.

Shade

Tarot for Yourself is a must. Also when you read it do not be one of the ones afraid to write in your book. Fill it up with your answers in the various activities it is fun to return to years later.

21 Ways to read a Tarot card: another must. This is the kind of stuff that moves one out of being a "I memorized every meaning of a card in the LWB and refer back to it" but without the willy-nilly "I just say whatever I think" approach. It's a beautiful middle ground with enough structure to build a practice upon.

I found it very helpful for both upright and reversed as well.

Yes! With Tarot Reversals the hidden gem is that you also get to see Mary's upright meanings for each of the cards.

Cassandra022

well a heads up, someone is selling some mary k greer at affordable prices in tarot trading :]

RunningWild

I have Tarot for Your Self, 21 Ways and Understanding the Tarot Court. So far, I'm not brave enough to incorporate reversals but that's next on my list of things to learn.

I, too, started using Tarot for Your Self and stopped. Partly because I couldn't relate, or maybe I wasn't ready, and partly because I saw the Motherpeace deck in there and decided I had to have it before I would continue. And then I forgot. :laugh:

The other two I have on a Kindle. That's both good and not so good, in my opinion. The 21 Ways would probably be better in normal book form.

This thread has inspired me to start working on 21 Ways. Thanks!

Crystal Blue

I'm working through "Tarot for Yourself" right now, and "Reversals" is on my Christmas list after reading this thread!

I have to say I love using "Tarot for Yourself." My relationship to the cards is so much deeper - because it is definitely a work book. There's all the insight given, but then in doing the work, the meaning or understanding isn't taught so much as discovered. I'd highly recommend it :)