Eggplants?

Diana

Kris Hadar's reply - English translation

People in the Middle Ages did not think like we do. All that they saw served to define themselves and to understand themselves. Their graphic representation symbolised their understanding of the world. Concerning the cards with three people : left = feminine, right = masculine and the centre, the main subject. Because they could not read, they had not yet developed this mode of reading that makes every advertising executive know that the main message must be put on the right-hand side, because of the way we read from left to right. The scenes with Mary on the left, Saint John on the right and the Christ in the middle are legion.In the same way, they did not use in their paintings gradations of colours as do painters today. The colour was flat, and the relief was made by using bright or more gentle colours.

When I restored my tarot, I used this ancient technique. Each colour is double. When a colour is gentle, like pink, it is to indicate an element without importance ; when it is a ruby red, then the information is worthy of interest. You must be aware that the invention of colour in printing limited the number of colours in the tarots, in the style of Paul Marteau. The notion of colours in my tarot is not a matter of chance. It relies on precise information. It is true that the only tarots accessible to the public remain the Dodal, the Payen and the Conver. It is therefore normal to find traces of these three tarots in my restoration. But the originality of my tarot does not reside in the fact that I was inspired amongst other things by these three tarots, but for having revealed the « lost lines » that are not of my invention. An example to prove this is the left line forgotten in the Dodal in the Dames de Coupes, which shows without a shadow of a doubt that the Dame is seated on a bed. This bed became with the Conver a throne surmounted by a canopy. My restoration is to have discovered that in the Dodal, the folds on the robe of the Dame d’Epée are in fact a spiral staircase.

It is this that is above all my restoration. To bring out what existed in the card and which had been lost or which one no longer saw, but of which one could still find a visual trace. Thus, my tarot is not an invention by an unsuccessful author, but indeed that of a researcher. I can therefore justify EVERYTHING by leaning on facts. As I have mentioned once, criticism is easy, but art is difficult. The mystery of the cards of the tarot do not reside necessarily in the restoration of the colour, but in the revelation of facts that allow the researcher to understand the initiatory meaning.

So if I look at the queens in the minors, it is no accident that the Reine de Deniers is in a cup, and that the Reine de Coupes has a denier on her forehead. This is to explain to you the relations that the cards all have together, because the tarot is a like a treasure hunt. It is no accident that the Roi de Deniers has a headdress with a veil that reminds us of the Diable. It is no accident that the Roi d’Epée is sitting on the stele of a tomb.. however my card resembles closely the Dodal and the Conver... however, my tarot, by these insignificant details for he who « wishes to see » instead of those who let themselves be blinded by a «false appearances » distinguishes itself completely from the Dodal and the Conver. You can thus see that one needs to descend into the tomb, die, in order to be reborn... That is why I was the first author in todays world to propose a « restored » tarot, in the noble sense of the word. In other words : to reveal what had been lost. My tarot is not an invented tarot ! It is therefore a compliment for me when I am told that it looks like the tarots of the 18th century.

Now let’s discuss the 4 of Cups. I said that in the Middle Ages, one did not represent perspective, the forms, and the colours, in the same way as we do today. Representation was « geometrical » ! People saw the world « flat », and not in relief. The invention of the computer and of 3D, hides this reality. They would often represent the view from above with the view from below... and so, look very carefully at the flower... you will see that we see, seen from above, the heart of a flower, and at the same time, a transverse section of this flower. This gives the shape of a pentagram and at the same time, we see, as if fanned out, the stamens. This indicates that the card reveals the process of reproduction of a flower. As you see, it is not necessary to invent anything to access the mystery. It is sufficient to see. Now, you are able to understand that if the 4 de Coupes indicates the process of fecondation of the flower... the 5 de Coupes shows the birth... of a rosebud ! ! !... and not an eggplant or a pineapple !

I cannot encourage you enough to see with the eyes of your heart and with those of your soul, so that your spirit will see clearly what it must understand. To do this, you must leave behind acquired knowledge that too often blocks our vision, in order to see differently what is right in front of our eyes ! It is thus that it is possible to understand what the tarot teaches us.

Kris Hadar

tmgrl2

Thank you so much, Diana. I have been waiting for Kris Hadar's reply on this....I have printed it to save and reread from time to time. I do so love his deck. It was the "softness" of the colors mixed with rich coloring that first enchanted me...then the "hidden" numbers within each element of each cards.

terri

tmgrl2

jmd said:

...now what was the name of the Rose?

The title of a novel set in the 14th century full of mystical riddles written by Umberto Eco and turned into a movie starring
Sean Connery?

terri

Jewel-ry

Diana,

Thank-you and thank Kris.

His replies always offer so much insight and clarity.

~

Major Tom

Re: Kris Hadar's reply - English translation

Diana said:
I cannot encourage you enough to see with the eyes of your heart and with those of your soul, so that your spirit will see clearly what it must understand. To do this, you must leave behind acquired knowledge that too often blocks our vision, in order to see differently what is right in front of our eyes ! It is thus that it is possible to understand what the tarot teaches us.

Kris Hadar

We seriously need a smilie for applause. Or even a smilie for kneeling and bowing. ;) Absolutely encouraging and positive. :D

I do wonder then if for visual input for the heart if perusal of the so called Cary Sheet wouldn't pay dividends?

Personally I'd like to see more examples of the courts and minors. The Payen is certainly a revelation. })

I'd go so far as to say that everyone should see the Marseilles pattern with their own eyes. The Tarot is certainly a path to understanding.

Shalott

Yes, thanks to Diana for the translation and M. Hadar for the interesting reply!!!