"Sun" and "Moon" decks

vifetoile

So I just recently got two new Tarot decks. The reason I got two was because I was enamored of the Crystal Tarot by Elisabetta Trevisan, but something about it seemed unbalanced to me. The artwork is imbued with geometrical forms, bright colors, and *lots* of gold. It struck me as a very "solar" oriented deck, going with the sun as a symbol of logic and clearsighted understanding.

I decided to get the Tarot of a Moon Garden, which felt like a good counterpart to the Crystal Tarot. The "lunar" aspects of the Tarot of a Moon Garden are right in the name. Almost every card has a moon on it, and most of the cards have a black background, and the art is in soft lines. The sense of it is more dreamlike and watery - "lunar" all the way!

So I was wondering, does anyone else here associate their decks with a Solar or Lunar mindset - or any other heavenly bodies, for that matter? And if so, why? Thanks!

Le Fanu

I find the Victoria Regina very Moon-y - nothing technical or astrological - just that it has a very striking Moon card which is the first card I think of when I think of that deck and the black and whiteness of it makes me think of the light/dark side of the moon.

The Tarot of Delphi - when I think of that - I think of golden yellow hues - so very much a Sun deck.

Like I say, no official Solar/Lunar attributions. It's just the mood and colour tones that come to mind when I think of them from afar.

Funny you think of the Crystal as a Sun deck - I find it more submarine, dappled blues etc - more a water deck!

RiverRunsDeep

I only have two decks that I think of as "Sun" and "Moon". The Sun deck is my Victorian Romantic tarot, with brightly colored daytime images. The Moon deck is my Bohemian Gothic tarot, with nighttime scenes that are more somber and darkly colored. Like Le Fanu, my associations are based more on mood and color than on astrological or technical ideas.

Gwynydd

Yes, I do get those feelings from certain decks. The Deviant Moon, obviously is very 'moon-y'. The Cosmic tarot feels mostly like a moon deck, although I suppose celestial would be more apt, since the sun features heavily on some cards, too. Bohemian Gothic (I don't have it), seems very lunar.

The Wildwood has an overall sun feel to it for me, despite having beautiful lunar cards. The Albano Waite also feels like a solar deck to me.

EmpyreanKnight

I think I've read somewhere that Patrick Valenza is planning to create a solar sister to his Deviant Moon Tarot. Is this true?

EmpyreanKnight

I have always thought that the Thoth is the moon to the Rider-Waite-Smith's sun. Which is strange at first glance since the former seems to to be imbued with a more masculine energy relative to the latter, but then again I remembered that in some mythologies, the moon is ruled by a god while the sun is governed by his consort/sister/etc goddess.

Falcor

Chrysallis is very sunny deck at my opinion.

My Dragon Tarot gives me a very moon like feeling when I think about it.

blue_fusion

I have always thought that the Thoth is the moon to the Rider-Waite-Smith's sun. Which is strange at first glance since the former seems to to be imbued with a more masculine energy relative to the latter, but then again I remembered that in some mythologies, the moon is ruled by a god while the sun is governed by his consort/sister/etc goddess.

Thoth, for one, is a moon god. :D But yes, for some reason I do get this Thoth-RWS Moon-Sun Masculine-Feminine dichotomy.

The Victorian Romantic and Bohemian Gothic (more so their gilded and silvered versions) I think also have this dichotomy, though less of the masculine-feminine part since I feel that both are feminine.

Makes me want to think of other decks which "pair up" the same way.

-Ly

EmpyreanKnight

Thoth, for one, is a moon god. :D But yes, for some reason I do get this Thoth-RWS Moon-Sun Masculine-Feminine dichotomy.

The Victorian Romantic and Bohemian Gothic (more so their gilded and silvered versions) I think also have this dichotomy, though less of the masculine-feminine part since I feel that both are feminine.

Makes me want to think of other decks which "pair up" the same way.

-Ly

Wow. That bit about Thoth being a moon god is good Ly, I can't believe I missed that. :)

You gave me other ideas tho - like the gold-foiled decks in the metallic LS collection can be the sun to the silver Mantegna's moon (although the latter is not really Tarot). Or the gilt-edged Golden Tarot vs the silver-edged Kabbalistic Visions.

JadePixie

Sun - Circo, Wildwood, Anna K, Sidhe, Old Path

Moon - Mary El