Overcoming Astro Adversity

Laurel

Yesterday, I had my chart done via computer and started researching my planets. Among other things, I have Saturn 18 degrees into Aries. (The rest included Sun, Rising, Mercury all in Capricorn; Moon in Cancer; Venus in Aquarius; Mars, Neptune in Scorpio, Uranus and Jupiter in Libra)

I have always had a VERY hard time being assertive and confrontational. In fact, I've caused myself more pain by being shy and introverted and fearful and afraid of rejection than anything else in my life. What reading I've done suggests that this Saturn in Aries is part of the reason behind my passive nature. But I'm tired of being passive and I'm trying really hard to do the opposite, without become mean or rude.

What's the solution in overcoming this kind of astrological adversity, beyond just setting goals and expectations and being aware of the easy temptation to fall back into old behavior?

Laurel

Minderwiz

Basically be assertive. You have a very strong Cardinal representation in your chart - Capricorn, Aries, Cancer and Libra , the basis is there for you to grow.

In Aries Saturn is not particularly restrictive or fearful - you can seek self preservation through new experiences and indeed you might have a strong urge to accumulate material things to keep the self preservation going.

Treat Saturn as a Teacher, someone who is there to help you through the lessons of life and who provides you with the basis and structure to cope. Saturn may set the limits but within those limits you can grow and flourish. Treat Saturn as malefic or fearful and you will not succeed.

Saturn says rise to the Challenge, it may be relatively unforgiving and rewards tend to be more in learning from experience but in the long run its better than Jupiter or Venus as a driver to success.

I have Saturn in Leo on my Ascendant - I treated life as difficult till I perceived that Saturn requires effort. Put effort in and the rewards come back.

OK be postive and try it!

Minderwiz

Minderwiz

PS

You may well have a Grand Cross in your chart - oppositions and squares in cardinal signs - a real driver.

You also seem a little weak on Fire and this rather than Saturn is more likely to reduce assertiveness, but otherwise a reasonable balance, Mars is in Scorpio and Moon in Cancer are both dignified and Saturn is relatively weak in Aries, which you are interpreting as weakening your personality, possibly gving you excessive fear and caution. I don't think that this is likely on the placements you've given because there's too much cardinality there.

If you want more feedback give me your date, time and place of birth (all THREE) and I'll give you a quick sketch. AG is better than me so it would be nice if she could make a contribution too.

Minderwiz

Laurel

Absolutely!

Born: 1/3/69
Time: 8:08 am
Place: Omaha, NE

Thank you very much.

Laurel

Minderwiz

Thanks Laurel BTW its a good job you had stated that you were a Capricorn Sun, I nearly had you as a Pisces! In the UK we use dd/mm/yyyy rather than mm/dd/yyyy so I just caught myself in time

I'll get back to you with a brief rundown.

Minderwiz

Minderwiz

Laurel,

Here is the rough sketch I promised. If you want more details about any part of it or on something not mentioned, just ask.

Firstly the element balance – You have a roughly three way balance of Earth, Air and Water but are weak in Fire, as I indicated in a previous post. A lack of Fire may well reduce your self confidence and shying away from challenges. In your case this is partly offset by planets in the Trinity of Life, Houses one, four and nine. You also have a strong Cardinal balance in the modalities which would also help to offset the lack of Fire, Cardinal signs are initiators and squares and oppositions in Cardinal signs, whilst producing tensions and conflicts relating to home, work, relationships and the self also tend to produce a concerted effort to confront and deal with these.

You are a Capricorn Ascendant and Sun sign. Your creativity, vitality and will are in harmony with the way that you project yourself to the world. My wife, who is a Capricorn Sun sign, describes Capricorns as the plodding goats that eventually make it to the top of the mountain. They are not exciting or flashy but serious, and stubbornly refuse to give up. In your case your Sun is in opposition to your Moon in Cancer (the sign of its rulership). This brings tensions between what you consciously want, and in the first House those wants are related to your self and your subconscious needs, which in the sixth House (where the Moon is) relate to employment, service, health and possibly pets and other small animals.

Your Sun is also square to Saturn in Aries in the third House (I have used Placidus cusps). The Sun/Saturn contact produces tension between your expression of creativity and vitality and your need for structure and control. Self-denial, self-discipline, self-control are all facets of this contact, as is the importance of authority (either for or against) or fear. If you have a clear idea of your own identity this tension can be overcome and harnessed to provide the drive you need. If it is allowed to get in the way of your self expression then it will weaken you.

Your Cancer Moon shows a desire to protect your family and others close to you. In the sixth it might well show up as a desire to serve others in order to protect them. Your feelings, receptivity are such that you react sensitively to others and are sensitive to their moods and feelings. You may also be subject to mood swings yourself. Protecting and nurturing others makes you feel good about yourself.

Your Moon is also square Jupiter in the eighth House. This gives you tension between your need to grow and expand yourself and your inner needs. It can give a tendency to be restless and a tendency to self indulgence. These tensions may show up as stresses between your health, and need to serve others and your need for emotional and soul security. As your Seventh House begins in Cancer, the Moon also rules your relationships with significant others, both business and marriage partners. You will bring sensitivity to such relationships but also a need for stability in the relationship. Indeed as your Moon is in opposition to your Ascendant this need is emphasised. Without it you will again feel restricted and less confident.

You have Mercury in Capricorn in the first. A structured approach to communications and mental processes give you a rather serious manner. Everything you experience is put into images or words for yourself rather than others. However this placement may also give you the skills to become a fairly good counsellor. The Mercury Mars square may introduce some rashness in thought but Mercury is in harmonious aspect to the three outer planets. This suggests and unconventional thinker, who is inspired by words and who sees knowledge as power. As Uranus and Pluto are in the eighth this suggests that you may see the occult as a source that will bring you the soul and emotional security that you seek. Jupiter also occupies the eighth and this suggest that you may use the occult as a means of personal growth. It is conjunct Uranus which also suggests unconventional and highly individualistic philosophy and religious behaviour.

You also have Venus in the first House, your conscious need to relate to others is a way of expressing your own self. You will express these relationships and affections freely and unconventionally and in harmony with your drive to assert yourself (Mars). There may be something of the romantic adventurer in you.

Mars is in the Ninth House in the sign of its own rulership, Scorpio. Here assertiveness is both passionate and powerful and in the direction of long distance travel. The latter does not have to be physical travel, it can be educational, philosophical or religious (the ancients treated this as a ninth house matter as Jupiter the natural ruler also rules religious behaviour). You may feel better at relating to and expressing affection for others in the context of such a quest.

Finally there is Saturn, your chart ruler with Capricorn rising (though with your Sun conjunct the Ascendant there are those who would transfer rulership to the Sun). Saturn is not strong in Aries, but it also rules the Sun as well as the Ascendant. It is therefore a dominant planet, if not the dominant planet in your horoscope. In the third it will influence your methods of communication and strengthen a tendency already identified to be a deep and serious thinker. You have the ability to go beyond words and symbols but may find it difficult to express what you find there. The paradoxes that you see in existence will give you a sense of humour and wit – Saturn may be serious but that doesn’t mean he has no sense of humour at all.

Sorry its a bit long

Minderwiz

Laurel

Wow. That was extraordinary amount of information gives me a lot to think about. So much for my "astro-adversity" idea- there's a lot of self empowerment there, in my stars. Everything, the good and the difficult, made complete sense.

If I ever wanted to astrologically look at a particular time in my life, say when I was 11-12 years old, and compare it with the present day, how would I do that?

Laurel

Minderwiz

Your chart never changes of course, but the Transits do. If you wanted to look at what things were like when you were 11 look up the Transits for your eleventh birthday (and you can repeat for any time interval you want).

Direct comparison with the present could simply be to see what Transits are operational now. For example at the moment you have Venus, Moon and Mercury all transiting your eighth House, so this House will be quite important at the moment as you have several natal planets there. For long term (months to two or three years) look at the Transits of the outer planets and the aspects they make.

I would add a note of caution. The child and the woman are separate beings. You have now have twenty years of experience and adulthood to allow for. Also remember that like the Tarot, Astrology does not deal in predestination. You have made choices and undegone experiences which add to your personality. By all means look at the chart for when you are 11 but try to remember what you were like then.

Minderwiz

AquarianGoddess

Hi Laurel,

I'm really not at all surprised at your question. Being born with Saturn in the 3rd can hold back expressing oneself. You may be thinking...will anyone listen to me?

As Minderwiz exclaimed, Saturn is very focal in your chart, ruling your Sun (in the 12th), Mercury and ascendant, all in Cap (more on this later). Mercury in Cap squares Mars in Scorpio (out of sign) and this adds to your "fear" of speaking up. But don't fret...

You were gifted with a wonderful sense of humor and that's your ticket to reach your goal. Mercury trines Jupiter and Uranus (and Pluto too) and they're aspects of a very bright, innovative thinker and humorous person. Will anybody listen to you? Of course...people like to laugh and they like to be around funny people.

Now with Saturn in the 3rd, your lesson in life is too read, read, read, learn, learn, learn. Keep a dictionary and thesaurus handy to look up words unfamilar to you. The more you know, the more you can teach and with Saturn in the 3rd, someday you'll either be writing, lecturing, or helping people learn to read (and making people laugh in the process.)

Good luck!
AG

Capricorn/Saturn says keep working at it and your goal will be reached.

lunalafey

me too:

I have Saturn in Aries as well.
I ALSO get to deal with a Sun, Moon, and Merc. in Capricorn. And I share with you Neptune in Scorpio. But my rising is in Virgo along with Jupiter, Uranus, and Pluto.
I have one fire, one air, 2 water, and the rest earth.
I have always had a VERY hard time being assertive and confrontational. In fact, I've caused myself more pain by being shy and introverted and fearful and afraid of rejection than anything else in my life. What reading I've done suggests that this Saturn in Aries is part of the reason behind my passive nature. But I'm tired of being passive and I'm trying really hard to do the opposite, without become mean or rude.

I have a hard time be confrontational for sure and assertiveness is a weakness at times. I tend to be quite, shy and sometimes overly nervous.
I took a bartending job. One of the reasons I wanted the job was I would learn to be able to 'put my foot down' better. Being given a position of control, help to build the confidence I need.
AG mentions a sense of humour, I have that, and a Mercury trine Jupiter, but in different signs. What exactly express a sense of humour?
as far as..."Capricorn/Saturn says keep working at it and your goal will be reached.".....I can truely testify to this statement.AMBITION & FOCUS: I set my goals and I even put a deadline on it. So far I have done it.
I am just a beginner at astrology and reading this thread was wonderful, a bit of insight into myself . I also use people and thier personalities and comparing charts to see astrology in action.
BTW laurel, you where born the same day as my daughters father (dif. time/dif. state). You sound nothing like him. And we where born 369 days apart...Heehee.