The meaning of the FISH card in love readings

Janis

In love and romance fish means longing for someone

lennylove

Fish is a neutral card that leans more towards positive. In love I've seen it mean abundance of messages or communication between the couple which is good and then on the flip side I've seen Fish mean a gold digger or dating someone who's a user/mooch.

Fish can mean someone who won't settle down, someone who's a player, and someone who creates deep connections with many different people (again player).

Sar

In general, I agree with you that people can do what they want, and can read how they want! You're right -- there may have been some imposition of structure on the deck and its meanings after Mlle. Lenormand's time. But whatever occurred at that point is what became the traditional method, and it seems like it's been pretty consistent since then, and that's what has made it such a unique system. (I'm no Lenormand historian, though, so I may be wrong.)

But I can also explain why I, personally, do not want to read the Lenormand intuitively, and why I'm interested in learning the traditional, well-established method (regardless of what Mlle. Lenormand herself actually did). The practical perspective and traditionalism is what attracted me to this deck. If I read it intuitively by the art, then it would feel no different to me than tarot, or an oracle deck. And for me, the specialness of Lenormand, and what makes it appealing as something different to learn, is the reading method. I like that it's basically learning a different language. Specific meanings, combined in a certain way to mean certain things when specific cards are next to each other. Creating noun-adjective-verb-adverb types of sentences. Etc. I like that the images are simple so that the "intuition" used with this method focuses on narrowing down the concept/meaning combinations, not on the symbolism of an artist's personal vision within the art. I like the grammatical structure of the method instead of using positional spreads, or non-positional intuitive layouts.

I enjoy reading tarot or oracles intuitively, don't mistake me, but I really like the challenge of doing this cool and very different thing with the Lenormand. It's only bad to read the Lenormand intuitively if you are trying to read it how it's been read historically, or are trying to learn the Lenormand method. If we go too far in the intuitive direction, then I think something essential about the uniqueness of the Lenormand will have been lost, and I would feel poorer for it.

People who want to read intuitivly can keep themselves to oracle card, both Tarot and Lenormand have a tradition that is important to be familiar with.

ThtDancerGuy

People who want to read intuitivly can keep themselves to oracle card, both Tarot and Lenormand have a tradition that is important to be familiar with.

Wrong: Tarot is an intuitive Oracle system. There's no "traditional" way to read Tarot.

Teheuti

Tarot has traditions - plural. Studies of intuition show that a knowledgeable intuition - someone who is knowledgeable in their field - is usually far more correct than someone who applies intuition without a knowledge base. It involves pattern-recognition. So, intuition actually functions best with those who have both good knowledge of Tarot, human beings and, perhaps, something about the situation.

Psychic ability can work more independently, but sometimes there is confusion when trying to understand what the psychic information specifically refers to.

Lee

Moderator note:

Folks, we're getting far afield from the thread topic, which is "The meaning of the FISH card in love readings." For discussions on traditional vs. intuitive methods, there's plenty of threads, or feel free to start a new one.

On this forum we welcome any and all methods of reading with Lenormand cards. Nobody likes to be told what they can or can't do with their decks.

Lee, Lenormand Moderator

pjef

Fish in Romance

I know this is very, very long after your post, but I always think of a Fish as representing, among other things, fecundity, fertility or pregnancy. In this way it can be connected to the Money idea. But dead fish have been used for fertilizer, and also, the human fetus looks very fishlike when starting out. It's been a long time, but this could be a meaning of the fish card in a romance reading.

If you wish, please reply and let us know what happened in your life that would relate to that card in your readings at that time. Or you can email me directly.

Thanks!! Hope things are going well for you.