Looking forward to the WILD Kuan Yin Oracle!

Miss Divine

Mine finally arrived today. All I can say is that I wish I had not seen the original painting as showed online. A huge part of this artwork is the colour. And a huge part of any printed art is the level of image resolution..... Having said that, even if I had not seen the depiction of the original artwork online, I suspect I will still be disappointed at the quality of the image printed on this deck.

I also think that Alana Fairchild might not be my first stop for these types of cards. The book looks extensive, but I can't connect with its content, at all.

No more buying reading decks just for the artwork.....

Are you saying most of the artwork is different from the sample images we've seen?
Also, what is it about the content about Alana's writing that you can't connect to?

Is it more spiritual based instead of mundane? Is it rambly? Because if it is I am cancelling my order.
Thanks in advance!

The Happy Squirrel

Are you saying most of the artwork is different from the sample images we've seen?

Also, what is it about the content about Alana's writing that you can't connect to?

Is it more spiritual based instead of mundane? Is it rambly? Because if it is I am cancelling my order.

Thanks in advance!

The pictures at exactly the same. I am commenting on the quality of colour calibration by the printer. The red hue appeared to be tuned too high, or something. I am not a printer and am not familiar with terminologies and processes. I can only comment on what I see and how I feel about them.

As for the book, I am not your typical 'oracle' person. Most of these books I found too fluffy and I want to roll my eyes most of the time, but you may want to check other people's reviews before you decide. Some may find it very healing and very appropriate to their needs.

I also grew up around the tradition and devotion of the Bodhisattva Kuan Yin, although my family and I was never devotees of hers. So my expectations of what 'is' Kuan Yin is very different compared to the target of this deck which I suspect is mostly 'Western' audience from - perhaps - the 'new age' persuasion. I honestly don't know.

I know from the pictures that the images aren't of Kuan Yin, so I knew that going in. I was hoping the book was going to be the anchor of any 'Kuan Yin'-ness, but like many of these products which hailed some ancient Eastern or other seemingly 'exotic' tradition, I found it superficial 'Kuan Yin' wise but in terms of other 'self help' approach, perhaps ample enough.

Again, I may not be the best person to rely on come to my thoughts about oracle decks. Because I think the Kuan Yin Oracle is a bastardisation of the Goddess and yet it is one of the most popular decks out there.

Blue Angel lamination of their cardstock is something else. This is my third deck from them. I find it too shinny, not to look at, because to look at is fine, but they tend to be a bit sticky when shuffled. YET many people love the Blue Angel cardstock. So there you go.

Miss Divine

The pictures at exactly the same. I am commenting on the quality of colour calibration by the printer. The red hue appeared to be tuned too high, or something. I am not a printer and am not familiar with terminologies and processes. I can only comment on what I see and how I feel about them.

As for the book, I am not your typical 'oracle' person. Most of these books I found too fluffy and I want to roll my eyes most of the time, but you may want to check other people's reviews before you decide. Some may find it very healing and very appropriate to their needs.

I also grew up around the tradition and devotion of the Bodhisattva Kuan Yin, although my family and I was never devotees of hers. So my expectations of what 'is' Kuan Yin is very different compared to the target of this deck which I suspect is mostly 'Western' audience from - perhaps - the 'new age' persuasion. I honestly don't know.

I know from the pictures that the images aren't of Kuan Yin, so I knew that going in. I was hoping the book was going to be the anchor of any 'Kuan Yin'-ness, but like many of these products which hailed some ancient Eastern or other seemingly 'exotic' tradition, I found it superficial 'Kuan Yin' wise but in terms of other 'self help' approach, perhaps ample enough.

Again, I may not be the best person to rely on come to my thoughts about oracle decks. Because I think the Kuan Yin Oracle is a bastardisation of the Goddess and yet it is one of the most popular decks out there.

Blue Angel lamination of their cardstock is something else. This is my third deck from them. I find it too shinny, not to look at, because to look at is fine, but they tend to be a bit sticky when shuffled. YET many people love the Blue Angel cardstock. So there you go.

Thank you for elaborating Happy Squirrel!
I watched an onboxing video on YouTube. She didn't she all of the cards (which I wish she had).. But she did point out it had landscape cards in it. Something I do not like (and she didn't either). So that was a put off.. I myself love the Blue Angel cardstock so that's a plus for me. :D
But what either makes or breaks a deck for me comes down to usability. I am not looking for a spiritual self help deck. So if it rambles on about healing this and healing that, then noway it isn't for me. I hope someone chimes in who has worked with it a bit wants to share what their experience is with this deck.

Dark Victory '39

love this...drool...be prepared for a gush

This is qualified w/ 'it's only been a week since i've had this.' However, it is a deck geared for healing through dark and troubled times, and that is what i'm currently in. Normally i would have expected to find myself agreeing w/ Happy Squirrel's take on this not being a v. deep read of kuan yin heritage, and something about how it's new age spirituality vibe is perhaps a little canned. But i've never had a deck where it felt like a divine presence was speaking directly to me. (and it kind of makes me shudder and roll my eyes to say that.) For the few readings i've done, there has been a paragraph in the several pages Alana Fairchild writes for each card, that felt specifically for the question i asked. I got chills up and down my spine. Now in my more typical, more wary, and therefore more usual mode of assessing i deck, i probably would be like, isn't she trying to do too much for each card, making it too 'same-y' making it apply to all situations and saying the same types of things over and over again? But i don't know. Between the nuanced titles, and that she does address why those titles were chosen, I think there's enough here for good oracle work; Mind you, i dont have many oracles, but the few i have i use to death. I either keep them and use them bunches or get rid of them fairly quickly.

But i've never had this sort of enchanted feel-- primarily probably because i'm quite in love with the artwork. Also, like the true walking hypocrite that i am, i love this shiny Blue Angel cardstock. Nine times out of time, if i'm complaining about a deck i'm complaining about the shiny cardstock, but this feels just perfect. I also expected to have the issue w/ the landscape formatting mix, but i think the art would have been butchered if just one format was chosen. Love the neon-red hues, as if the kuan yins are flying into sunset. love basically everything. I will say, i think this would be a hard deck to read for others with. Or it would take some time to whittle your read on the titles into something succinct that could be conveyed that gives the same feel that those opening italicized paragraphs do for each card-- i liken them to that voice in sufi poetry, although, i am not likening Alana Fairchild to Rumi; lol. It's, you know, that voice of the beloved, the supplicant talking to the divine and hearing the divine in constant communication. It's very tender writing. These days i am an anxious, paranoid person who needs a lot of reassurance to make the tiniest steps as i drag myself out of a cleft in the earth. A crevasse i seem to have made all on my own. This is exactly the right balm for now.

I've done the healing rituals associated w/ the cards of the reading. They're not bad, they take v. little time and usually no props. I tend to get my spiritual needs met through yoga and mantra work w/ my mala. So usually i would be geared up for something more... i don't know if more in-depth, or tradition-rich is the right descriptor. But this provides something different. The fact that several times during a v. hectic hellish day i recalled the ritual and the card and 'the voice' assuring me that what i had heard that morning when i drew it still holds a place inside of me, is a sort of validity for me that this is a beautiful beginning w/ a deck. any deck.

Madrigal

DV'39, this is a really heart-felt post. Thank you for sharing how meaningful this deck is for you. And hugs as you journey through what sounds like a difficult time for you.

Dark Victory '39

Thanks Madrigal :) It'll get better, though it might get worse first. lol. B.t.w no disrespect meant on my end in calling Alana Fairchild's voice potentially canned spirituality; i only meant if one were to stand in a new-age section in bookstore and had only fifteen minutes and were to flip through her book, it would be hard at a glance to distinguish that style of writing from the bulk of writing on the shelves.

The deck saved me from another meltdown on sunday. I almost was going to ask a question posed to tarot as i could feel the craziness mounting, but recognized that i wasn't in a good space to do tarot so pulled a wild kuan yin instead. It not only differentiated which life element i needed to focus on, which was part of my question, but calmed my worst fear.

Other 2c's--i've got to be like up to 8 cents--I don't see myself using this for daily draws, as the readings i've done have provided such sustenance that i wonder if it would cheapen it (for me) to use it daily. I think it would be ideal for doing new moon, full moon readings.

Madrigal

Other 2c's--i've got to be like up to 8 cents--I don't see myself using this for daily draws, as the readings i've done have provided such sustenance that i wonder if it would cheapen it (for me) to use it daily. I think it would be ideal for doing new moon, full moon readings.

I feel this way about the Mother Mary Oracle and potentially the Isis Oracle.

Dark Victory '39

I'll have to read up about those decks Madrigal. I used to think i'd never be an oracle person, but i really have cleared so much mental space w/ this one, that makes me understand that they have capabilities tarot doesn't. [i shouldn't say that; a better tarot reader perhaps than myself could]. Maybe that's a thread topic. Or maybe there is a thread.

The Happy Squirrel

This is qualified w/ 'it's only been a week since i've had this.' However, it is a deck geared for healing through dark and troubled times, and that is what i'm currently in. Normally i would have expected to find myself agreeing w/ Happy Squirrel's take on this not being a v. deep read of kuan yin heritage, and something about how it's new age spirituality vibe is perhaps a little canned. But i've never had a deck where it felt like a divine presence was speaking directly to me. (and it kind of makes me shudder and roll my eyes to say that.) For the few readings i've done, there has been a paragraph in the several pages Alana Fairchild writes for each card, that felt specifically for the question i asked. I got chills up and down my spine. Now in my more typical, more wary, and therefore more usual mode of assessing i deck, i probably would be like, isn't she trying to do too much for each card, making it too 'same-y' making it apply to all situations and saying the same types of things over and over again? But i don't know. Between the nuanced titles, and that she does address why those titles were chosen, I think there's enough here for good oracle work; Mind you, i dont have many oracles, but the few i have i use to death. I either keep them and use them bunches or get rid of them fairly quickly.

But i've never had this sort of enchanted feel-- primarily probably because i'm quite in love with the artwork. Also, like the true walking hypocrite that i am, i love this shiny Blue Angel cardstock. Nine times out of time, if i'm complaining about a deck i'm complaining about the shiny cardstock, but this feels just perfect. I also expected to have the issue w/ the landscape formatting mix, but i think the art would have been butchered if just one format was chosen. Love the neon-red hues, as if the kuan yins are flying into sunset. love basically everything. I will say, i think this would be a hard deck to read for others with. Or it would take some time to whittle your read on the titles into something succinct that could be conveyed that gives the same feel that those opening italicized paragraphs do for each card-- i liken them to that voice in sufi poetry, although, i am not likening Alana Fairchild to Rumi; lol. It's, you know, that voice of the beloved, the supplicant talking to the divine and hearing the divine in constant communication. It's very tender writing. These days i am an anxious, paranoid person who needs a lot of reassurance to make the tiniest steps as i drag myself out of a cleft in the earth. A crevasse i seem to have made all on my own. This is exactly the right balm for now.

I've done the healing rituals associated w/ the cards of the reading. They're not bad, they take v. little time and usually no props. I tend to get my spiritual needs met through yoga and mantra work w/ my mala. So usually i would be geared up for something more... i don't know if more in-depth, or tradition-rich is the right descriptor. But this provides something different. The fact that several times during a v. hectic hellish day i recalled the ritual and the card and 'the voice' assuring me that what i had heard that morning when i drew it still holds a place inside of me, is a sort of validity for me that this is a beautiful beginning w/ a deck. any deck.

Oh wow DV39, HUGS for you!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

The Happy Squirrel

I feel this way about the Mother Mary Oracle and potentially the Isis Oracle.

I have been looking at the Mother Mary oracle for awhile now.....