Rohrig Study - Aces

darwinia

Original thread is here:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15555&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

Post gobs of stuff about the Aces and win some cranberry jelly for your next dinner party.

You can comment on one Ace or all or do a comparison, If you are puzzled by a card say so, if you've found the definitive secret of the Universe as evidenced in the Rohrig Ace of Wands, then we want to join you in Nirvana.

If you can guess the correct brassiere size of the disembodied breast on the 10 of Swords, hold the secret until we do the tens. You might win a chance to hand pick cranberries in a bog, preferably somewhere in Europe where a lot of men that look like the guy on The Magus card hang out. Or if you prefer, the Princess of Wands can give you a guided tour of a processing plant that cans cranberry jelly in Smedley on Thames.

Obviously this is going to be a pretty alluring and exciting study group.

divinerguy

Aces Up My Sleeve

Okay, first comment. All of the Aces give off more energy than they take in, with the Wand and Cups seemingly exploding with power. A keyword on the Wand actually describes that energy.

The Ace of Cups, or As der Kelche, pictorially is an "ass" of Cups. but beyond that, it radiates pure love. Despite the nude female, I see it as a non-sexual type of love.

The Sword cuts a clear path through old problems. It allows for clarity of thought, and the willingness to strike out in new directions. It is clearly an inspirational card for the character trait of leadership.

The Disk is a card which shows the querent on his mountain top, having overcome adversity. It is a card of success and achievement in the corporeal world.

Little Baron

Aces

Hi everyone

My initial responses -

Firstly, I note that there is a lot of symetry. Even though the illustrations (aside from the lone cup) all have a certain kind of symetry and balance, there is also balance in the four aces, in terms of colour. The Cups and Wands breath fiery red tones and the blues in the Swords and Disks mirror each other in their sharpness, dark areas and deep blues.

I agree with Divinerguy when he mentions that the energy from these cards is outward; in terms of the Wands, Swords and Cups, there is an eruption of energy and it certainly feels very possitive to me.
With this in mind, the Disks ace is the odd one out because it seems more subtle in its effect on me. I believe that this is a possitive card but the guy watching the star on the top of the rock looks unaware of what is building up below him. I see this disk as being similar to a bomb, waiting to explode. Maybe this Ace simbolises good fortunes and future from somewhere external, rather than something that is produced from someones conciousness. I suppose that we can also see that the main figure has reached the highest point of the mountain/rock that he has climbed which dictates the accent of this suit.

I also see the Ace of Cups as a card that is centred more around the self than a love between two people. The woman seems elated and as if she is surrendering herself to all the love and emotions that she can give to herself, rather than to another person.

Yaboot

darwinia

Swordplay with Wands

Aces in all decks have a singular vitality and energy that I like. Emphasis on the Aces shows up in Marie White's Mary-el Tarot and Lorena Moore's Ironwing Tarot (both nearing completion.) In these decks the Aces seem to say "Look at us, how could you have overlooked us?" Does anyone know if other decks showcase the Aces like this?

My favourite Ace in any deck is the Ace of Swords. I love the imagery in the Rohrig--that thrusting blade with the fiery light of intellect lights the landscape under the stars. White heat or cold fusion, we are illuminated. I like Divinerguy's use of "leadership" for this. If you have the ability to lead you can accomplish anything and harness the energy of others. With one shocking burst of energy, the clear path brings ideas to fruition. I didn't relate this exclusively to cutting through old problems like D-guy, but any problems.

I thought the centre of the blade looked a bit like a thermometer--ideas heating up and rising, sparking. I also love the black foothills giving way to the crystalline peaks, illuminated by the energy of the blade. Black and white, positive and negative--very much like the checkerboard motifs he has sprinkled throughout the deck. The mysterious trees look like poplars or cypresses flanking the road like lights on a runway. Lighting the way, lighting the path, lighting polarity and finding a way--leadership and initiative.

Ace of Wands

This one always appealed to me in the R-W deck because of the energy of life--leaves leaping off the tree trunk infused with green and growth.

The Rohrig card definitely has the phallic symbolism and sexual energy of Wands. The flames seem viscose like blood, flowing, moving, diffusing. More stars, only this time, instead of reaching toward the stars, this Ace is rooted in the Universe, birthed from stars--the "primal origin" as the LWB puts it.

I'm not sure what the "rope" signifies under the paper--it looks almost like the beginning of a weaving--just the start--maybe more primal symbolism? Because of the sexual and biological connotations this screams physical energy to me. Blood jumping and moving, laden with the texture of nutrients and scattered particles of the Universe. Maybe the courage to simply be alive and live fully?

darwinia

Cups and Disks Pick up Sticks

The Swords and Wands seem to have so much energy and a blasted message to me, that I tend to forget the details of the other two.

Ace of Cups

I can't help thinking of rivulets and droplets of blood here; the most obvious association with Cups, emotion, and women being menstruation and mood. See how she's almost bathing in light though? As her blood energy flows out, something else flows back. Whitewater rapids, the ebb and flow of tides and monthly cycles. She lights the water below as if a sun or moon--both actually, given the night sky and her fiery flashes. Again the extreme energy of polarity.

It seems to embody the idea of balance equalling power in emotions, of harnessing uncomfortable emotions to draw back positive energy. Perhaps that's what love really is--the equality and evenness of ribbons of emotions? You can only feel love at the centre of this flux?

Ace of Disks

Success--it reminds me of the song "Climb Every Mountain" that Mother Superior sings in "The Sound of Music." Goosebumps time--feel your heart leap into your throat with the dazzling concept that things are possible.

I like the craggy outcrop (difficult to climb), surrounded by snow-capped peaks. The crystal orb at the centre hints at inner power and clarity, an inner security. Because of its pewter colour, it also reminds me of a ball bearing and physical balance. The euphoria of success can shake your footing as much as a difficult path. The LWB refers to this as "inner and outer wealth" but I like the idea of cautionary footholds, bearings do wear out and need to be re-packed or replaced. I ride my bike to and from work and the bearings started to go on the back wheel and the whole thing seized up--I had to buy a whole new wheel--maybe this is similar to the bomb Yab mentions?
(I feel it easier to shorten your name. Yab reminds me of Yag, one of the main characters in China Mieville's book Perdido Street Station. Is it permissible to shorten it like this?)

Little Baron

Permission granted

Yab is fine by me.

Thanks for your insights. I will respond to the them very soon.

Yaboot

Little Baron

Hi everyone

I havn't read for anybody with this deck for about five years ... and then, a few nights ago, I read for two people with it. The third person, I thought suited the Universal Waite better.

All three readings were very good; not just from my perspective. Sometimes, I feel a bit stunted in my readings but this really renewed my confidence.
The three people that I read for were aquaintances that I didn't know very well so there was no preconceived ideas. One of them were sceptical but by the end of the reading was just sitting there in a daze, saying 'My God! That was so spot on'. His friend, who he wanted to sit in on the reading said 'I know a lot about this guy and somehow, you have pulled out all the important stuff that he doesn't tell anybody else. How did you know there was so much conflict with his father? How did you know what he is really like when we are at home on our own?'.

It was a bit of a breakthrough for me. I had posted recently about how I often find it hard to communicate what I see but while doing this reading, it was like there was a little voice whispering in my ear, telling me what to say. And as it did, the words were falling out of my mouth. The querant was in a trancelike state, nodding, looking totally overwhelmed.

I also see the blood-like references that are made in this thread; more so than fire, which is how I originally interpretted the Ace of Cups. The Cups card seems so hazy which is a nice contrast to the Sword which is crystal clear. It's like being able to see for miles when the weather is so clear and crisp. I am not sure if I see the specks of white above the sword to be stars, light or energy radiating from the sword or fragmations of something that has been broken by the cleaness of the blade. All of these possibilities could arise in different readings I suppose.

Best wishes

Yaboot

darwinia

Blood References

I noticed some droplets of blood in the Sun card too. It seems an honest reference to me, given our biology.

I haven't seen any others with blood but I'm sure they're there. He has lots of mountains and highways/roads, and several groups of people too. I always find the repeating patterns of each tarot artist interesting, but he seems to have more patterns in this deck.

Perhaps it's just a matter of someone choosing to go their own way in symbolism? Another reason I'm surprised not more people use this deck, the large cards notwithstanding.

Great info. on your reading. That's such a kick when you feel you've connected to something vital for the querent. It's a great feeling when it flows like that. I never get the chance to read for people in person, but I've done it online with this connection.

Oh, and I noticed after your mention about the self on the Cups card that he actually has the words "self-involved" I think on the bottom of the card. It's like they always say: you can't love other people until you love yourself.

HuntinOwl

Hello every one. Ok. I’m going to start with the “Ace of Disks”:

I know the card stands for success inner-outer, but this is how I “Feel” about the card.

First of all it’s dark. It appears to me that there is a brilliant light that shows you the way. That tells me you can reach your goal. But keep focused, you have to be focused because its is dark (things not clear, hidden etc.) and the “path”(life’s path) is going to be, or is difficult. He’s standing alone on top “of his goal”(mountain). Which tells me that no one is going to be able to help you where you have to go. So there he is bundle up (his jacket) trying to keep “warm” which might mean that he’d have to keep track of his financial and other resources to get to his goal.

If that’s not what we’re seeing here then you no why I stop using the Deck.

divinerguy

HuntinOwl,

Glad you could join us with your thoughts on the Rohrig