Rohrig Study - Threes

Little Baron

3 of Discs

That rock, or whatever it is, does look heavy. Or does it? To be honest, to me, it doesn't. It could be made of fibreglass. Is the guy showing strength (there is a glow from his legs which incinuates this to me) or is he just being a martyr?

*Thinks about this for a moment or two*

I think that maybe it is a combination of both. Like Divinerguy says, I see the balls as some kind of assistance but the guy does not seem willing or know how to ask them for help. Maybe he is carrying the stresses of the 'rock' on his shoulders and doesn't want to bother friends or family. Whatever it is, it shows that their assistance is there.

On the other hand, maybe he is carrying a load and people around him are refusing to help. Those balls/discs/spheres look like they are bouncing around and having a great time.

Does the shape in the background (top left) represent handcuffs? Is this guy tied to his work; working all the hours he can to earn some money for his family or to make ends meet? Is this reflected in his pain?

Whatever it is, this guy needs some help ... and fast!

Just a few thoughts.

Yaboot

darwinia

Follow the Bouncing Ball

<<Does the shape in the background (top left) represent handcuffs?>>

It's a gasket, maybe the guy blew a gasket giving his all for work?

Something I didn't notice before is that leafy tracery like on the 2 of cups--Rohrig's used that a lot throughout the deck as well as the metal mesh and checkerboard patterns.

I still see the rock as both an offering and a burden and the balls...........the one at the top actually looks more like a molded piece with flange-like attachments, it's two dimensional, and the two balls at the bottom seem to be free floating three dimensional things. Maybe he is testes his strength (cough.)

Didn't you say you bought the book Yab? Does the book specify anything about those disks?

Little Baron

Unfortunately, when it comes to the Minors, the book says no more than the LWB that came with the deck. There is a little more about the majors, which I will type up when we work on them.

Out of the three's, I feel most for the Swords. I know that the Cups are more serene but there is just something about it - it is so deep. As miserable as it seems, it kind of offers new hope to me.

Yaboot

darwinia

Yaboot001 said:
Out of the three's, I feel most for the Swords. I know that the Cups are more serene but there is just something about it - it is so deep. As miserable as it seems, it kind of offers new hope to me.

That's because you are dying to scoot under that door and see what's on the other side.

I love the Swords in most decks, I know they put many people off, but I feel they are closer to our real experiences and the pain in life we try to run from.

Ain't so bad. Plus you get to meet the Queen, she's pretty interesting.

divinerguy

3/Coins

The handcuff things and their kin at the top remind of machine parts. The book talks about being certified or passing a test. Perhaps the card refers to the burden of employment, and being able to meet a professional challenge through strength and skill.

Little Baron

freesiaskye said:
That's because you are dying to scoot under that door and see what's on the other side.

I think you are right there Freesiaskye.

I do want to know what is under there and at the moment, in certain situations, I am looking for a way out - hoping that I will find that light on the other side. I can definitely relate to this one at the moment.

Yab

galadrial

3 of Disks

Not that I appreciate the attitude that our sensibilities are so easily shocked that we can't see a naked man without getting the vapors (have they never heard of the Cosmic Tribe deck? I'm surprised they didn't include a coupon for smelling salts since they left the breasts uncovered). But that type of underwear reminds me of Harry Houdini, the master craftsman who always claimed there was nothing supernatural about his escapes- he just worked hard to bring his natural talents to their peak.
The large stone he seems to effortlessly display (as with figure skaters, the more effortless it appears, the harder they have worked to acheive that appearance), is the tangible result of his work. In sharp contrast are the blue spheres, which I see as the intangible results of his work- high self esteem, being well regarded (he seems to be basking in the glow of the lower two), a sense of achievement and contribution. The machine pieces in the background could be the negative of this- feeling he is just another cog in the machinery and not a standout in his field.