Astrology books- further reading

214red

Hi

I have a break in my astrology studies over the summer, and i am looking for some further reading. I asked my astrology teacher and she is waiting before she gives us a reading list.

I hate waiting and want to progress my studies, so i am looking for further reading to get me through the summer. we are currently working on the planets through the houses, so i am not terrible advanced in my studies. I have read the resource list in this forum, however i am looking for persona; recomendations from you all.

I have planets in play, and the Twelve Houses. I perhaps need a book on how the rulers of the house work.

Any ideas would be appriciated

Nik

Minderwiz

If you are looking for something on houses and house rulerships, there are quite a few but:

Allan Oken's 'Rulers of the Horoscope' and 'Houses of the Horoscope'

For something completely different

Lee Lehman's 'Classical Astrology for Modern Living'

For fun

John Frawley's 'The Real Astrology'

and if you want a mega challenge

William Lilly 'Christian Astrology Books I and II'

The challenge is not because it's difficult but because it's a totally different approach to Astrology than the modern stuff. Not to be taken on lightly LOL

214red

Minderwiz said:
If you are looking for something on houses and house rulerships, there are quite a few but:

Allan Oken's 'Rulers of the Horoscope' and 'Houses of the Horoscope'

For something completely different

Lee Lehman's 'Classical Astrology for Modern Living'

For fun

John Frawley's 'The Real Astrology'

and if you want a mega challenge

William Lilly 'Christian Astrology Books I and II'

The challenge is not because it's difficult but because it's a totally different approach to Astrology than the modern stuff. Not to be taken on lightly LOL

oh no you went and did it, you said challenge!!!!! i have to get that book now!

thanks for your help as normal:)

Minderwiz

Lilly is a challenge because it's THE book on horary Astrology.

But it was written in 1647 and the English is not that easy but if you want to see houses and house rulers in action in a non-natal setting then........

Also remember that when he wrote it Uranus, Neptune and Pluto were unknown and he uses square charts, just like Vedic Astrologers do (and everybody else did in his day)

It's a book that every serious student of Astrology should read at some point but it's not really a beginner's book and to be honest it's not the first book on horary that you should read. Anthony Louis' 'Horary Astrology Plain and Simple' is a good introduction and John Frawley's Horary Textbook' and Lee Lehman's 'Martial Art of Horary Astrology' are the best two modern texts.

There's also a new book by Barbara Dunn who now heads Olivia Barclay's QHP programme. It's called 'Horary Astrology Rexamined' but It's not recommended because it's overblown and frankly a turgid read, despite her friends' comments on Amazon. It's 520 pages and she spends 346 pages saying what Lilly said in 128 pages of big type or 62 pages if you get one of the modern versions. She then spends the remaining pages on the 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 10th house horaries. Lilly did all 12 in far more detail and his book in modern print is under 250 pages.

214red

i will put these on my list, esp the lilly one but wait to buy it as i will likely confuse myself.
i brought a few cheap books last week on transits , so next month i think i will tackle your books list.
am loving astrology!

Libra8ca

I am currently reading Judith Hill's new book "The Lunar Nodes: your key to excellent chart interpretation" and I am REALLY loving it. I also have her other book on "Medical Astrology" and I highly recommend it too. Her writing style is witty and she has so much experience. You just need to know the "basics" to read her books. She has experience in Western and Hindu astrology. :)