Heart of Faery vs. Faeries Oracle?

greatdane

If you were gifting one, which would you gift? Anyone have both of these and have a preference? Have either?

I know they're both Froud (ok, I think Heart of is in collaboration with his wife, but still...), but wondering ATers thoughts.

I have neither. So....if you were going to give one as a gift, which would you choose?

Thanks!

inanna_tarot

faeries oracle... hands down

greatdane

Thanks Inanna!

Would you care to share your thoughts regarding Faeries Oracle a bit? I would love to read anything you have to share about this deck!

GreatDane

Le Fanu

I'm not a fairy type, but I'd go for the Fairies Oracle. The first one.

Think of Heart of Fairy as the sequel. OK, but not as good as the first, the original & best! :)

inanna_tarot

sorry, i was rushing when i posted that.

HOF is ok, but like Fanu said, its a sequel and it just never hits the same way as the original.

Also, the HOF has Wendy Froud writing the book. Nothing wrong with Wendy, but when you compare it to the Faeries Oracle with Jessica Macbeth writing, Jess wins hands down. She has a unique amazing relationship with the faeries, and worked with Froud on creating the concept of the oracle as a lover of the artwork and a lover of the faerie world. You feel as though she is talking to you as an equal on how to work with the faeries, with Wendy it feels as though theres a bit of hierarchy, in that 'Im Wendy Froud, I know everything, sit and listen'... just my opinion.

And the Cards themselves are so much more talkative in the FO. The HOF are a bit wet lettuce at times, a bit psychological and wishy washy, whilst the FO will slap you with a wet fish with the answer, giggle at you and then give you a big kiss.

Much prefer the FO. I could rave about it for ever. lol

Nickigirl

What great timing with your question greatdane! I was wondering the exact same thing, doing research on AT, and I love that people have such decisive answers in your thread. Keep 'em coming, but so far, I'm leaning towards the first deck! :)

greatdane

THANKS, Le Fanu and Inanna!

Good to know. Want to choose well!

And glad you were also looking for the info, Nickigirl!

GD

Noelle

inanna_tarot said:
.... whilst the FO will slap you with a wet fish with the answer, giggle at you and then give you a big kiss.

.... what she said.

faunabay

I agree completely......the Froud Oracle!!!

The original deck is the best IMO to get to know the faeries - because of both Jesa's book (which is AMAZING) and Brian's artwork in showing them to us.

The HOF is more of a civilized version of the FO so they're a bit more standoffish...well maybe not standoffish (because I love them too) but being more civilized alot of the time means not quite as straighforward in answering as the slap in the face with a wet fish inanna talks about! :p

I ADORE my original faeries oracle!!!! If you're going to connect with the faeries at all it's an amazing deck to receive!!

Muir Aingeal

I have both and I would gift the Original Faeries Oracle hands down!! and in fact I did not too long ago :)