Heart of Faery vs. Faeries Oracle?

inanna_tarot

flip a coin, heads the HOF, tails the FO...

Let the Fae decide

mwhahahahaha

greatdane

Lol Inanna!

Now I WANT one...or both. Sounds like one could start with either and nothing saying couldn't get the other later. Both decks look beautiful.

I was reading that the card quality on HOF isn't that good. Comments from those who have it please?

faunabay

I replied to your PM greatdane, but for others who might be interested as well......the cardstock on the Heart of Faerie is thinner than the original Faeries Oracle but not too thin IMO. I think if you just take it on it's own merit and not compare it to the FO you wouldn't have any problems with it.

MareSaturni

greatdane said:
I was reading that the card quality on HOF isn't that good. Comments from those who have it please?

Frannkly, I don't see such a huge different. Both decks have a kind of flimsy cardstock, but it's not so bad. You should handle both of them with love, I suppose!

Most of people consider the book of the FO better because the author gives you an exercise at discovering and playing with the cards before giving you the meanings. Supposedly it should help you to create your own connection with the Faeries, and find out your own meanings for the cards before she gives hers. It's an interesting way to exercise your intuition.

But, I have done it and... it did nothing to me. Seriously. I have tried many times and ended up very frustrated. So now my deck is happily living on my shelf and is kept only for the art.

The HoF book is more to the point... there's a brief introduction to the faerie, short spreads, meanings, big spread and an interview with the authors. But the descriptions of the cards still maintain the magic of the faerie, while bringing it close to those who feel distant from this folklore.

Aesthetically, the FO faeries are more wild looking, while the HoF are more regal. You have to ask yourself sincerly: with which kind of faerie would my giftee identify more with?

The Faerie's Oracle is, like others said here, tried and true. So if the person you are going to gift is familiar with oracles, they might like it because it has more study groups and resources. But if I had to pick a gift for someone who never had any deck or who is not so familiar with faeries, I'd choose the Heart of the Faerie, simply because it feels more approachable to me.

geminiwoman

Marina said:
Most of people consider the book of the FO better because the author gives you an exercise at discovering and playing with the cards before giving you the meanings. Supposedly it should help you to create your own connection with the Faeries, and find out your own meanings for the cards before she gives hers. It's an interesting way to exercise your intuition.

But, I have done it and... it did nothing to me. Seriously. I have tried many times and ended up very frustrated. So now my deck is happily living on my shelf and is kept only for the art.

I just wanted to say that while everyone of course differs, this is not true for me at all. What I most prefer about the first deck (and I got them both around the same time-recently) is the art style, which is a little different from HoF and to me much more intuitive to read with, and the descriptions in the book.

To me, the FO is very clear and precise and easy to work with. The HoF, both the pictures and the book, are much more vague.

I do love them both, but if I were going to choose a gift for someone who had neither, I would g with the original Faery Oracle, no question about it.

greatdane

Thanks Faunabay, Marina and Geminiwoman!

Your posts helped me a lot! I appreciate everyone taking the time to share their thoughts with me and also WHY they may prefer one over the other. And you're so right, it WOULD depend on the person being gifted the deck and which they might feel more aligned with.

BLESSINGS ALL,
GD

faunabay

greatdane, you'll find that those of us who are friends with the faeries always LOVE to talk about them! The harder part is getting us to shut up about them!! })

greatdane

:) Thanks Faunabay!

I have really enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts. Of course they have also enabled ME to get one LOL.

Blessings,
GD