Knights- what's their message?

PlatinumDove

firemaiden said:
I don't link knights with teenagers. Pages, maybe, but knights - no, these would be fully grown men, sturdy... with rippling muscles... burly, with chest hair, clanking chain metal, stirrups, and a strong, big ol' horse.

Mmmmmm...what a yummy correspondence. ;)

Adjustment

I usually see the knights as coming or going, it could be a person, things or a situation. Knights also represent an event, a person in your life or a part of yourself and how you are acting on a situation.

DrMojo

For me, knights represent the extremes of the suit. For instance, the Knight of Swords represents, on one hand, you have the rushing "certainty" of Air-influences which are a kind of "slam bam thank you ma'am" approach to meeting life head on -- as in head, not emotional or practical or enterprisingly. The other side are these qualities at their extreme in terms of calculating, mind-powered manipulations, etc.

The "message" aspect of a Knight card is a throwback (or side step) to inteprs of playing cards, where the Jack is very, very traditionally known as a message relating to the suit in which it makes an appearance. I tend to ignore that in Tarot, but not when I'm using playing cards.

So, I see the cards as energies to begin with, energies that are either flowing or blocked, being used or ignored. So, the Knights are dramatic, often intrusive entries of the extreme energies of wands, cups, swords or pentacles. This may be the way life in general is going or it may be more specifically presenting itself through the vehicle of a specific person.

Best,

Dr. Mojo

wizzle

Protection and shielding

I agree with Dr. M's interpretation of knights and also with what Joan Bunning says about knights tending to represent the more extreme virtues and flaws of the suit.

I know that knights are often viewed as messangers, but I believe the pages serve that function. Knights quest according to the quality of the suit after the message is received/delivered.

I think an important meaning (aside from representing active people) is that of protection and shielding. That, after all, was their "real life" function back in the days of yore. So when a knight appears something may need looking after. The querant may need shielding or may be advised to do the shielding.

This could be quite mundane. A knight of pentacles could indicate a need to shield garden plants from bugs or frost. A knight of swords might be advising a more thorough review of documents. Etc.

Another 2 cents from yours truly

DrMojo

Wizzle:

Wow, nice comments!

Made me think that although RWS decks don't show it, knights were known to carry shields, right? Just as you say....

The Knight in a spread indicates extreme, yes, either as a person or a situation. It does often indicate the need to be shielded from those energies.

Best,

DrMojo

wizzle

Crystals

Thanks for your nice comments DrMojo,

I saw that interpretation when I was scrying into a crystal ball. The shield apeared, painted with a large heraldic eagle. Then I saw a knight's jousting helmet. Shield....knights......voila. Until I saw this, I'd never considered that aspect of the knights.

Lady Maria

Thank you all so much for your insights. This is a lot to digest.

earth en lady said:
I think as well because the knights are so Active you can really see the consequences of their actions in your life.I think they are very focused on their goals and are great advice cards .

This seems to ring true for me, earth en lady.

Since posting this question, I've been pondering the role of knights a lot and reading these posts, and I've come to realize a few things, firstly that knights are in motion. Something is happening, there is movement. I think the reversals may imply that the movement may be in the wrong direction, or focused unhealthily or movement is stagnated.

DrMojo had a great point about the protection aspect, which also reminds me of the earlier post of serving the King and Queen. I haven't noticed any corrolation in my own readings with the Knights being messangers, although I've read that they are... that aspect has yet to be accepted into my readings.

And a question for firemaiden, if the Knights are grown men to you, who do the Kings represent? The elderly? Just curious.

Thanks again for all your responses,
Maria

firemaiden

Well, it never occurred to me to divide the knights and kings by age, but you know if you think what a Knight is and what a King is: the King is the lord over all the knights, who serve him, therefore, he is the man with the most power. Sometime the man who has the most power is older, maybe the age of a senator -- maybe greying a little, but certainly not "elderly". However, often the most powerful man is not the oldest-- he could instead be the wisest, or the richest, or the strongest, or maybe just the most famous or the sexiest. ;)

... or did you just want another portrait... Yes, I see the King as a handsome man with the same clanking chainmail and rippling muscles as the knights, but with the addition of salt and pepper hair, some character lines around the eyes, okay, some stunning facial hair, that says "me way smart", and a bit of a piercing cynical gaze that says "hey, hey, I know what you're up to, girlie..." :D