Help please

Amandajane

I am reasonably new to Tarot and I believe I am progressing very well.
My problem is that one particular card keeps coming up in "practice readings" and also whenever I am just shuffling it literally just jumps out of the deck.I have checked if this card is bent or marked in anyway and it hasn't been, so it is obviously meant to be a message for me but as you fellow readers know sometimes we just don't get the message that is for us even if it is hitting us plain in the face.
The card is from the Rider-Waite deck and is the "five of swords".
Thank you for any help you can give me
love and light
Amandajane

earth en lady

Hi Amandajane
The five of swords often signifies to me negative thought patterns and possibly looking for trouble, as this card is often a leaper ,maybe your cards are asking you to be clear and open with your thoughts and to focus on the question without preconceptions .I have recently been testing this theory by choosing to think negatively and watching the cards and then changing my thoughts to positive and watching the cards ,there is a huge difference in readings about the same question .I think this clarify's the fact that the cards show us options and ideas we had not conciously thought of and that we are in fact in control of our own destiny.Apart from those times when we are blessed by the true path of fate ,and then I have found the cards override any questions and tell me the future .
May your path be joyful :)
blessings
earth en lady

Sulis

The 5 of Swords is often seen as such a negative card - I don't think of the 5s as all that negative. They signify change, usually unexpected change but change that we need to go through in order to grow, the shake up after the stability of the 4s.
The 5s show us problems but they also point to answers.
Coming half way through the suit of Swords which I take to represent the mind, this card often indicates a change of mind or something that has happened to cause a change of mind - a revelation - a mini Tower experience if you like.

Another meaning:
I often find when I get this card a lot that I'm not putting my own interests first enough. 5 is the number of self - are you neglecting your own interests in favour of those of others?

Hope that's helped :)
Love

Sulis xx

Thirteen

Argument?

Here's a question: Are you arguing with the cards? ;)

I'm actually quite serious. Beginners, doing readings for themselves, will often argue with the cards: "I got the Tower...which means things aren't as good as they seem...that can't be right. Must mean something else...." That sort of thing.

The 5/Swords often indicates an argument you can't win. And I think all us readers can tell you--don't argue with the cards.

If you're not arguing with the cards, then I wonder if there is some other argument related *to them*. I say this because this card is appearing in relation, apparently, to your learning the cards. So, are you having trouble with a skeptical or religious friend/family member who disapproves of your learning tarot?

Clearly, something is on your mind that you keep debating--arguing about, as we tend to do in our head. Maybe it's related to the cards--maybe not. Maybe some outside argument that you can't stop thinking about is interfering with your tarot studies, preoccupying your mind. Either way, 5/Swords may be telling you to stop it. You can't win this one. Walk away from the argument, put it to bed, move on.

Draegyn

Amandajane said:
one particular card keeps coming up in "practice readings"
~
whenever I am just shuffling it literally just jumps out of the deck.
~
The card is from the Rider-Waite deck and is the "five of swords".
Amandajane

Hi Amanda

I don't know what the message relates to without knowing what is going on in your life, your relationships or inside your head right now, but I can give you some feedback regarding my impressions. Regardless of the number of times the 5/Swords is actually appearing, it is resonating with your subconscious or passive mind actively enough to alert your conscious or active mind. There is a message here that needs your attention.

I feel the 5/S relates to a disingenuous relationship or interaction. This may be with yourself, with you and another or between two others that may have repercussions or impact you in some way.

The 5/S represents intellectual dishonesty used to undermine, or disarm another. Be careful of yourself or another gaining advantage by disingenuous means. Perhaps do a reality check with yourself and consider your relationsihps and the relationships of others close to you.

Do not overlook the possibility that you need to take a closer look at how you relate to the Tarot or your attitude towards the Tarot. Perhaps you need to have a meeting of minds or clarification of motivation with someone close to you in relation to Tarot.

(the I believe/my interpretation/IMHO is implied)

Best of luck on finding resolution to this issue and I am impressed with your sensitivity to subtle stimuli. I truly believe you "know" what this is about and just need to relax and trust your instincts (intuitive process)

Amandajane

Thank you I suspected as much

Another meaning:
I often find when I get this card a lot that I'm not putting my own interests first enough. 5 is the number of self - are you neglecting your own interests in favour of those of others?

This confirms what was given to me in a reading not long ago(3 weeks) ago and I do tend to put other people first but even more so which is understandble with two little boys ( a bit of guilt comes in)

Amandajane

Thirteen said:
Here's a question: Are you arguing with the cards? ;)

If you're not arguing with the cards, then I wonder if there is some other argument related *to them*. I say this because this card is appearing in relation, apparently, to your learning the cards. So, are you having trouble with a skeptical or religious friend/family member who disapproves of your learning tarot?

Clearly, something is on your mind that you keep debating--arguing about, as we tend to do in our head. Maybe it's related to the cards--maybe not. Maybe some outside argument that you can't stop thinking about is interfering with your tarot studies, preoccupying your mind. Either way, 5/Swords may be telling you to stop it. You can't win this one. Walk away from the argument, put it to bed, move on.

Yes Thirteen it does make perfect sense as I have been arguing with the cards!! Also my partner disapproves of the Tarot but then again he disapproves of everything I do when it means taking time to myself.
I also suspected about walking away from the argment(which i don't do very well) that my partner and I have to agree to disagree.

Thank you everyone for your help as I believe I really did know what the card was saying but instead tried not to see it.....O.K. Dana (my guide) you have made your point!!
love and light
Amandajane

Amandajane

Draegyn said:
Hi Amanda

The 5/S represents intellectual dishonesty used to undermine, or disarm another. Be careful of yourself or another gaining advantage by disingenuous means. Perhaps do a reality check with yourself and consider your relationsihps and the relationships of others close to you.

(the I believe/my interpretation/IMHO is implied)

Best of luck on finding resolution to this issue and I am impressed with your sensitivity to subtle stimuli. I truly believe you "know" what this is about and just need to relax and trust your instincts (intuitive process)

Yes Draegyn I truly do "know" and yes I do know who is using intelluctual dishonesty and also putting me on alot of "guilt trips"

love and light
Amandajane

Sophie

Amandajane said:
Yes Thirteen it does make perfect sense as I have been arguing with the cards!! Also my partner disapproves of the Tarot but then again he disapproves of everything I do when it means taking time to myself.
Well! - that whole situation seems neatly summed up in the 5 of Swords. Here you have arguments you can't win and disapproval over care of yourSelf (with 5 meaning both change/crises and the Self) - all this in the mental realm (Swords) - and all coming together in that one card that jumps up at you. It seems to suggest you need to come to some acceptance of the situation with you partner and to try and stop arguing with the cards (that's part of the learning, as Thirteen says).

Amandajane

We have come to an agreement

Hi Helvetica and everyone I had to giggle reading your post. Last night the Tarot and I had a "discussion"(if I said this anywhere I would be put in the looney bin) and last night and today have been "5 of swords" free days so maybe my cards and I have come to an agreement.
Thank you all for your expertise and helpful replies.
love and light
Amandajane