Queen, King, Ace...? What's the difference?

frances&pam

Hi, I'm new to reading cards, and just don't understand the court cards. That is, I don't understand the difference between the ranks in each suit, or for that matter between a court card and the ace of that suit. For example, I understand "wand" energy/characteristics, but in a spread what's the difference between the Page of Wands and the Queen (or the Ace)? How are their manifestations in everyday life different from each other?

I get that rank can indicate the age of a particular person related to the reading, but what about court cards beyond their literal reference to a specific individual? (I hope this makes sense.)

So, does anyone have any tips for discerning meaning based on rank within a suit?

Thanks!
-Sarah

Thirteen

frances&pam said:
Hi, I'm new to reading cards, and just don't understand the court cards. That is, I don't understand the difference between the ranks in each suit, or for that matter between a court card and the ace of that suit. For example, I understand "wand" energy/characteristics, but in a spread what's the difference between the Page of Wands and the Queen (or the Ace)? How are their manifestations in everyday life different from each other?
Court cards are never easy for newbies--or even for us oldies. Court cards are always among the hardest to interpet. So don't feel too frustrated if they're giving you trouble.

Think of them this way:
King (or Knight): The spark, the father, the instagator, the sperm, the fire--this is the idea that motivates everyone to do something. If a Wand, it might be a philosophy or religion or political idea that excites or interests everyone. Did anyone ever express to you an idea that just inspired you?
Queen: The mother, the womb where the idea grows, the lady who runs the castle, the water of life--this is where the idea is made practical, real. Philosophy spoken by the King is written down and expanded on, the King's blueprints for the church are built, volunteers arrive to discuss ways to make the politcal change happen.
Knight (or Prince): The teenager or son--the word, the fighter, the talkative energy, the traveler--this is the person who takes the idea out there and fights for it. Argues the philosophy, does missionary work for the religion, gets signatures for the political movement.
Page (or Princess): The child or daughter--this is the future, the seed in the earth that will grow and continue. It can indicate messages (as page bring messages), but also new growth. The word has gone out, and what new grass-movement philosophies, religion, political movements are sprouting thanks to all that's gone before?

How do any of these differ from the Ace? The ace is also a "spark" but unlike the King, this is an unformed idea. The Ace is raw feeling--energy undirected. The King had a very crystal clear idea, a strong idea that motivates others, gives them inspiration. The Ace is just energy. You feel you want to do something, but you haven't decided what just yet. You could go anywhere, do anything with it.

WalesWoman

These are some ways I have of looking at courts and aces. Check the Index, bet there are lots more and the different study groups.

Aces are sudden, the beginning of that force, gestation/birth, opportunity

Pages are on the thresh hold, the heralds of change, fresh new energy, initiates/messengers rejuvenation Passive

Knights are on a quest or mission, seeking those qualities, having a vision, , instigators of change, reactive active force

Queens are the feminine, emotional, creative, nurturing, protective, passive maturation, making something from their element, sustained, reproductive

Kings are action, masculine, logic, maturation, completion, having the authority to do, protect, solidify resolution

I just saw Thirteen's post... must make note!!!!

frances&pam

Thanks you both so much for your input! I think that with time my understanding will grow (obviously), but in the meantime your suggestions are really helpful. Also, I did do a search and found some other good information.

I was just wondering also if the Queen (Nurturing, Emotion, etc) of Pentacles (Earth, Material, etc.) is very similar to the King (Earth, Material) of Cups (Emotion). I don't mean to oversimplify this, but just wonder if Pentacles Queen would have more in common with Cups King than perhaps with other Queens. Well, I think I've made this totally confusing, but I really am curious.

Thirteen

frances&pam said:
I was just wondering also if the Queen (Nurturing, Emotion, etc) of Pentacles (Earth, Material, etc.) is very similar to the King (Earth, Material) of Cups (Emotion). I don't mean to oversimplify this, but just wonder if Pentacles Queen would have more in common with Cups King than perhaps with other Queens.
That's a good question.

According to some views of court cards, each has their own element. So:
Kings = Fire (Kings start off HOT, blazing, masculine, energized)
Queens = Water (Queens start off cool, feminine, flowing, feeling)
Knights = Air (Knights start off fast, moving, talking, thinking)
Pages = Earth (Pages start off physical, tactile, material)

This means that the King of Cups is a Fire/Water. And that would mean that he's not going to be as "masculine" or fiery as King/Wands, say. Meanwhile, a Queen/Cups will be the most "feminine" as she is Water/Water. The most emotional and psychic, if you will. However, as you see, the King/Cups is not Earth/Water. The Page/Cups is Earth/Water.

In answer to your question, let's try these two: Queen/Wand (Water/Fire) and King/Cups (Fire/Water). The two do have qualities in common--but not as much as you might think because the *emphasis* is different: The Queen of Wands is dramatic, an Eleanor of Aquataine who wants to travel and take the world by storm--she maintains a queen's desire to do things, to make things real, to nurture and beautify (water), but wants to do those things in the grand, fiery style--blazing hot and bright, if you will. She starts off cool water--but Fire transforms that water--makes it boil and steam, gives it energy.

The King of Cups is like King Arthur, a ruler with sensitive vision for his kingdom. He maintains the vision aspect of kingship; the grand, fiery idea--but it's modified by the gentlness of water, the desire to be a good, loving father to his people. He starts off firey hot, but the water cools down the fire--you end up with a quieter, warmer king, a king with gentler impulses.

Does that help?

frances&pam

Thirteen-- thanks for your post. It was exactly what I was looking for, and I really appreciate that you took to the time to write it.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!