Visconti-Sforza: Color of Gloves and Stockings

treedog

On many court cards and some trumps gloves or stocking are either red or green. Of course some are bare and others white.

I tried looking at it from an alchemical approach, but got nowhere. It also ocurred to me that it might denote family. But I just don't know.

I'm referencing the Golden Tarot: Visconti-Sforza deck by Mary Packard.
Any information or insights on this, or direction to another thread?

Sherryl

I've wondered about that too. Multi-colored tights were the fashion back then, and I'm curious if different colors sent out signals like "I'm available" or "married but open to a fling". I doubt the colors on this deck are alchemical, or any other symbol system, since nothing else in this particular deck indicates these associations.

treedog

Sherryl, thanks for pointing out the customs of the times. And now that you say that I see in the Golden Tarot of the Renaissance (from the Estensi era) that the artist has gone to great lengths to place unmatched stockings on many of the characters.

Your idea of making some sort of statement, or even advertizing, makes sense. It helps me understand what I'm looking at.

FLizarraga

I wouldn't be surprised if they are wearing the colors either of the Visconti family, or the Sforza, or both. This Tarot deck was commissioned for a wedding between the two families, and I understand the Lovers card probably depicts them both.

kwaw

On many court cards and some trumps gloves or stocking are either red or green. Of course some are bare and others white.

I tried looking at it from an alchemical approach, but got nowhere. It also ocurred to me that it might denote family. But I just don't know.

Noble families did have their own livery colours - those of the Medici for example were those of the three theological colours - which one can see the three Magi in for example in the 'Procession of the Magi', commissioned by the Medici.

The three theological colours

Red = caritas (love/charity)
Green = hope
White = faith

Not sure how long these associations go back, probably to Dante, or at least, to commentators on the use of these colours in Dante.

conurelover

I wouldn't be surprised if they are wearing the colors either of the Visconti family, or the Sforza, or both. This Tarot deck was commissioned for a wedding between the two families, and I understand the Lovers card probably depicts them both.

Not sure what was on the Visconti crest. The Sforza crest was a blue snake.