Puzzled by the Morgan Greer

staleair

So, I recently got a new deck, the Morgan Greer, and I'm not sure how to feel about it. I wanted to get a more traditional style deck, and was drawn to the borderless and colorful MG. However, I realized that the backs were asymmetrical, and this is what gives me weird feelings about it. If you have experience with this deck, is there anything you can tell me about reversals or how the deck reads in general?

Chronata

In my opinion...this deck is chock full of Brilliance.
Don't be put off by first impressions.

It reads like a freakin' dream, and the iconic images tend to stay with you.

Rosewater

I recently got this deck too, and I'm not sure what I feel about it yet. I do like the fact that it's borderless and this is the main reason I got it. Some of the images I really like, yet others put me right off. For instance, the Devil looks too much like a caricatured Satanic image, which is not how I interpret this card. It lacks the bound and chained figures that most other decks depict.

The court cards seem to have the same pose with only the elemental symbols to distinguish them. No action for the Knights, just static figures. I don't mind the bright colours, but find them too flat in places. I haven't tried reading with this deck yet, so no comment there.

Le Fanu

LOVE the Devil card.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

LOVE that caricatured Satanic image. Give me cheesy 70s horror flick, naked bodies spread out over a pentagram by candlelight! :D

There's a whole thread somewhere about the uneven backs. There are different editions, you know. You can tell the edition by the backs.

This deck is a sort of streamlined RWS.

I don't actually read with mine that much. Of the 70s vibe decks, I always think one is either Morgan Greer or Aquarian. I'm of the Aquarian camp. But I still have a lot of respect for the MG.

Nemia

For me, the MG reads very well. It speaks in a very clear language, I understand every word and syllable. I really like this deck, and the 70s aesthetics don't bother me. I'm a child of the 60s after all and it reminds me of my childhood - of the yellow-pink-orange T-shirt with a huuuge psychedelic butterfly I loved so much when I was ten years old :)

Other decks may have more nuances and finesse. The MG is clear, and I find the faces, lines and colors stay with me. They look like close-ups. And sometimes I need a close-up on a problem.

The back has never bothered me, I actually like it.

KristinCali

How did I never notice MG was borderless before?!! Now I want it!

kellyshay

I love this deck too!!! ;)

agviz

Being a filmmaker, I think of MG as a deck filled with "close ups". While many decks are filled with "wide shots" of the scene, MG tightens up on the action and the characters. And as in film, a tighter or closer shot can deliver a more intimate, intense expression of the moment. I love MG for both this reason and its brilliant colors.

N1ghts0ng

I have always loved my MG deck. I love the imagery, even if it may seem "dated" and from the 70's, but what always caught me was the vividness of the colors. to me, sometimes the colors tell more of a story than the visual image. it's always been a very smooth energy when doing readings.

staleair

I guess my main problem is the back of it, I just think it looks so childish. I think if the blue was even just a darker shade it would look better. Obviously looks aren't everything, but for me when I am doing a reading for myself and I see those stars I just...can't take it seriously?

As far as the front of the cards, I think they are beautiful. Flowing, and saturated in color, I think they feel so personal and friendly. I just do not understand why publishers had to cheapen it up with the backing. Such a shame. I want to keep this deck, but I may end up giving it to a friend. decisions decisions...