The Agatha Christie Tarot.

luxshine

Padma: I was thinking of maybe a Patreon, with a set amount for each card done -taking as reference my usual commission prices and similar Patreons for other decks-, and maybe depending on the money people donate, let them pick the next one I'd make or even send them the original once it was done. And well, once I figure out how many copies I can make without stepping on toes (or how much licensing would cost), then yes, a more serious crowfunding with the specific goal of publishing it. Of course, that's still... 78 cards away. So I'm thinking about doing the first, and some sketches for the rest, and then the Patreon for the watercolor version, if anyone wants to chip in.

And yes, I've thought a LOT about it. My copies of the novels are full of postits and comments about it :) Death is right now a toss up between Norton or Ratchett, who may not be as evil as Norton, but he's also quite memorable. Thing is, Norton, Ratchett, and Michael Garfield also work nicely for the Devil. And Norton is also one of my possible choices for the Judgment, given that HIS trial is the afterlife, and his death is the one that makes Poirot decide it's time to go and meet his own judgment. So basically, I have the possibility of Norton as Judgment, Garfield as Devil, Ratchett as Death... or Norton as Death and Ratchett as Judgment (Or Justice... he also has points for both), or Norton as Devil as he kept his victims snared... and then Ratchett as Death, and think of another possibility for Garfield.

Lol, if I do the Patreon thing, I could add a 'help me chose the majors' tier. List the possibilities, the reasoning behind each choice, and a little poll for those who donate ;)

(This is why I'm right now starting with the minors. They're so much easier! I just have to decide If I want to start *really* dark with the Sword suit, or just... kinda dark with the Cup suit. Wands and Pentacles will also be dark but... not as dark as the swords and the cups)

I was talking about the David Suchet series when I was thinking about it. He's my mind Poirot, he's exactly as I pictured him when I was a little girl reading the books... it's going to be HARD not making Poirot into his likeness... And the Miss Lemon there was prettier than how Dame Christie described her... but I thought she worked perfectly on the role.

I've got the pages for each suit sort of sketched (I started with the pages as they're the 'main' detectives of each book), as soon as I decide where to start, I'll be posting the pencil sketches.

Six Degrees:

Thanks! My only drawback to Tommy and Tuppence as The Wheel is... well, if they're the Wheel, and Hasting's the Fool.. then who do I put in for the Lovers? As I was telling Padma... it's an interesting puzzle, to be working around. I mean, even 'limiting' the Majors to, say, 3 novels per major detective? I still would have 15 novels to choose from. And then we still have Adrianne Oliver and Race, who are not 'major' for many, but they're really important in the end.

And hey, no, I don't mind the suggestions! It helps me a lot to reconsider and question my own choices, to what really fits the card, vs. what I want to draw just because I like the scene or character! ;) At some point, the idea was JUST to use the Orient Express novel, but not only that cuts a lot of interesting characters, I believe it really diminishes the options for intuitive reading.

I'll admit, The Big Four is one of the 10 books of Dame Christie that I haven't read yet.The fact that it was originally a collection of short stories kinda puts me off it.

Padma

Ariadne Oliver - the Empress :)

Nemia

Gwen and Giles as the Lovers? Or Griselda and the vicar?

SixDegrees

I'll admit, The Big Four is one of the 10 books of Dame Christie that I haven't read yet.The fact that it was originally a collection of short stories kinda puts me off it.

Avoid it at all costs. It really is her worst book in my mind. Poirot attempting to be Bond just does not work.

luxshine

Hey guys, just to let you know, I decided on the size of the originals, and will be starting on the pentacles suit for now (as a possible preparation for the Patreon, if I decide to go that way)

Padma: Adriane would be a perfect Empress, wouldn't she? I had her pegged for the Star at first, but that's because all my other choices are kinda dark for that particular card.

Nemia: I am fearing the Lovers will be the hardest card right now. But I'm taking your suggestions in account too.

Six Degrees: I'll take in account your recommendation :D

And well, so you can see:

http://threeofcups.tumblr.com/post/111511555909/and-so-the-project-begins-the-notes-there-are

All those postits? Are the notes for possible pentacle cards.

SixDegrees

I'm excited to watch this evolve!

luxshine

Thank you Six Degrees!

Well, the Pentacle suit has been chosen to be the one I start working with, for now, so here's the Page of Pentacles in the preliminar blues. From here.. that's when I don't know if I can do the watercolor or a colored pencil version.

http://threeofcups.tumblr.com/post/111941019389/wip-page-of-pentacles

Arthur Calgary, looking out towards the island where Sunny Point is, getting ready to deliver what he thinks are good news to the Argyle family. He's just off one adventure, and he believes he's closing a cycle, without realizing that in fact, he's opening a new one.

SixDegrees

Again, I don't know the particular novel, but I'm intrigued by your description and impressed with your skills!

Padma

A big job to undertake, but wow - looks promising! I do like your blue line sketch - nicely done! Do you have a complete list of characters to take the 78 seats (cards)?

Chronata

Excited about this concept! I love everything that,s been discussed so far!