Design and Colour Differences between the Fournier and Grimaud TdM decks

jmd

With regards 'vitality' of the various Conver decks in print, I find the bi-centennial Camoin Conver reproduction the most vibrant.

Personally, I also tend to prefer the vitality of the Héron over the LoScarabeo Conver, and find both the details and the images of the former generally have greater ... what can I call it... finesse. It is a little as if the version from which LoScarabeo (wonderfully) reproduced its set was not as carefully finished (not a fault of LoScarabeo, but of the 18th century 'finishing' or colour artists of the decks which happen to have been reproduced by Héron and LS).

With regards to Fournier history, it mentions on their site (which I haven't been to for a while) that Fournier was a descendent of some Parisian card makers who moved to Spain. Not long after beginning to produce cards there, one of their standard card playing decks won the Paris prize for design.

Given the existing tradition of Marseille-style decks along Dodal lines in existence in Paris at the time, it seems very likely that the Fournier would have continued to have been highly influenced by the Grimaud production (Grimaud was, from what I have been lead to believe, the then equivalent of US Games in terms of popular Tarot card distribution).

...on a more personal note, Moongold, if you wish to see and compare the three Conver (Héron, LS and Camoin), and you are able to make it on Saturday to Tarot Café, let me know and I'll make sure I bring the three along...