The trumps as sentence

caridwen

Anyone heard this sentence before?

"Thus the whole series of the twenty-two trumps will give a connected sentence which is capable of being read thus:—The Human Will (1) enlightened by Science (2) and manifested by

Action (3) should find its Realisation (4) in deeds of Mercy and Beneficence (5). The Wise Disposition (6) of this will give him Victory (7) through Equilibrium (8) and Prudence (9), over the fluctuations of Fortune (10). Fortitude (11), sanctified by Sacrifice of Self (12), will triumph over Death itself (13), and thus a Wise Combination (14) will enable him to defy Fate (15). In each Misfortune (16) he will see the Star of Hope (17) shine through the twilight of Deception (18); and ultimate Happiness (19) will be the Result (20). Folly (0), on the other hand, will bring about an evil Reward (21)."

http://www.golden-dawn.org/documents_mathers_tarot.htm

Vincent

caridwen said:
Anyone heard this sentence before?
Yes, I have seen it before.

There are some oddities in it. For example, the High Priestess as Science and the Devil as Fate. And what about the final sentence

"Folly (0), on the other hand, will bring about an evil Reward (21)."

It seems to be mnemonic for something, but exactly what, I have never figured out. He was probably aware at the time that these were the wrong attributions (according to the GD, at least). The booklet was apparently sold with Tarot cards, so perhaps he was protecting GD secrets.

Vincent

Fulgour

In the booklet for the Knapp-Hall Tarot there's a
similar memorization key, but it is unlike this one.
J.A.Knapp authored the (1936) instruction pages.

I had not seen the Mather's volume as shown on
the very cool link you provided. Thanks for that!

Fulgour

Vincent said:
The booklet was apparently sold with Tarot cards, so perhaps he was protecting GD secrets.
Mather's book "The Tarot" appeared in 1888, before
the goldendawn was there to be joined or fully quit.

Vincent

Fulgour said:
Mather's book "The Tarot" appeared in 1888, before
the goldendawn was there to be joined or fully quit.

That doesn't appear to be consistent with the facts

[post snipped by moderator - please "play nice"]

Vincent

poivre

Earnest and sincere students, 1 and 2, through sincere Action and Efforts, 3, and the exercise of the Will, 4, with Inspirations, 5, and Loving Motive, 6,will Triumph,7,with all Justice,8,and Prudence,9,over all ill Fortune and Destiny,10. With Strength and Fortitude. 11, and acts of Self Sacrifice,12, will ultimately conquer Death,13. Also the use of Temperance and Moderation.14, in all things, will banish all Evil, 15. Through the gloom of Ruin and Deception, 16, will shine the bright Star of Hope,17, and all secret Enemies and Dangers will be overcome,18, and true Happiness will be their Rewards, 19. A complete change of Position, 20, will assure Success in the Attainment of all that is Good, 21. Ignorant, Inconsiderate and Contrary Actions are pursued only by the foolish,0.

Just thought I'd post for those who would like
to compare...from the Knapp-Hall Tarot Instructions book.

jmd

It may be worth noting that Mathers and Westcott were at odds with attributions in the early days of GD (and pre-GD).

It may be a reflection, then, not so much of 'protecting' GD 'secrets', but rather of the junior officer's (Mathers) personal attributions, at variance with the more senior officer's (Wescott) that eventually held sway.

Parzival

The Trumps As Sentence

It's an interesting effort to make a sweeping, flowing sentence that includes all major arcanas by titles. However, does it really make logical and intuitive sense? It seems "true" in sequencing all the images, but these quick, sound-bite generalizations fall short for me. I prefer Gad's Tarot and Individuation and Banzhaf's Journey of the Hero. This journey knows no fast-forward formulas. However, it might be fruitful to try this again, in our time, with a statement or phrase per arcanum all the way through. Such an exercise might be insightful. (Or not.)

Fulgour

It looks like the Golden Dawn may have had a P.O.Box in 18"88"
and finally started getting mail delivery at home somewhat later.

But what are we to make of Mr. Mather's little book: 85 pages of
gathered up notes, with simple Continental divinatory meanings.

The memory key quoted in the opening post appears to be notes
from an unnamed source on an unidentified deck to no purpose.
This is much the way A.Waite wrote, stuffing in almost anything.

Robert Wang says of The Tarot by S.L.MacGregor Mathers:

"...since Mathers cautiously avoided all reference
to the esoteric implications of the cards. This may
have been his primary motive." ~INTRO GD Pg. 16

So the best excuse the biggest supporter can make is that it's all
a smoke screen. The funny thing is, I really like Sam's little book.:)

Vincent

jmd said:
It may be worth noting that Mathers and Westcott were at odds with attributions in the early days of GD (and pre-GD).

It may be a reflection, then, not so much of 'protecting' GD 'secrets', but rather of the junior officer's (Mathers) personal attributions, at variance with the more senior officer's (Wescott) that eventually held sway.
Are you suggesting that Mathers thought the 'correct' attributions were the ones he published to the public in 1888, and that he believed the attributions used in Golden Dawn rituals, and taught to initiates, long after Westcott had died, and when he was still in contact with the Secret Chiefs, were incorrect?

Vincent