DruidCraft Tarot-9 of Swords

Disa

At first glance this appears to be a woman sitting up in bed unable to sleep due to to some sort of mental anguish or perhaps an excruciating headache. When I look more closely, she appears to have the facial features of a man and perhaps a man's torso. Maybe my card is misprinted, but the face beneath the hands appears masculine to me. I guess it is irrelevant what the sex of the person is in the card, just found it interesting. What do you think about the card?

Mi-Shell

Is not the 9 of Swords sometimes called the Nightmare Card?
To me the person looks sometimes grief-stricken and sometimes desperately lonely....
The anguish is mental....
Maybe also dysfunctional thought patterns that got her/him there??
For me it depends on the reading and what I feel in the client -or situation...

WalesWoman

When I see this card and the swords above the headboard, makes me think of all the things that keep me awake at night... going over the day, things I did or didn't do, should have done or wished I hadn't or would have done differently, all the things I should take care of tomorrow, wish I could avoid, can't wait to do, etc.
Maybe it's nightmares, anxiety, a hell of a headache, maybe it's too much caffeine, but it's the sure sign of going in circles and thinking things to death.

coyoteblack

everything WalesWoman said along with a warning to the person being read to
" stop worrying about things you cant control " if you keep at it see 10 of swords

MysticalMoose

Agreed! I always feel that this is a Guilt & Nightmare card...you know, where things always seem so much worse in the wee small hours when it is pitch black & shadows & bumps in the night are all you have for company ~ The more you think about it the worse it gets ~ the shadow in the corner becomes a huge scary monster, getting bigger by the minute. The book refers to this card as "the dark night of the soul" & I have to agree, I have had this card pop up in my personal readings at bad times, when I was going thru my divorce & had family problems etc etc,. ~ Mental Terror & abject misery ~ not all of which is founded in reality I might add ~ the scary monsters of the mind are running amok!!!

pippi

Disa said:
At first glance this appears to be a woman sitting up in bed unable to sleep due to to some sort of mental anguish or perhaps an excruciating headache. When I look more closely, she appears to have the facial features of a man and perhaps a man's torso. Maybe my card is misprinted, but the face beneath the hands appears masculine to me. I guess it is irrelevant what the sex of the person is in the card, just found it interesting. What do you think about the card?

Disa...I just got this deck, and the first thing that I saw in the 9 of Swords card was a mustache!!! I was so surprised, and now I can't see it as anything otherwise. What came to mind was that someone put Weird Al Yankovic's head on a woman's body. LOL! Which I guess would be quite a nightmare, and fits in with the theme of the card quite well I suppose. ;)

ETA: Looking more closely, it does rather look like a thin man's body as well. But the fingers look very feminine to me. And don't the huge knees under the blankets look outrageously disproportionate?

Disa

haha- yep, there's a few disproportionate features in the cards, I'm sure you'll get around to the feet soon :) She seems more like a man to me than a woman, it's hard to shake it.

D

spiritsofthewolf

From the very first time I looked at this card, I have always thought it was a man, very masculine person; I guess because I noticed the mustache and the flat chest...but I can get were you say he looks feminine. This is what I see in the card:

1) Nine - pertaining to completeness, idealism, and leadership.
2) swords - pertaining to air, thinking/intellect, and the mind.
3) He looks like he may be sad, alone, lonely.
4) He is covering his face - may be ashamed and/or hiding (or from) something.
5) His setting make it seem like he is someone important, a leader on some sort.
6) I get the feeling that he feels the weight of his choices and responsibilities.
7) one may need help, someone to talk to.
8) Woken up in the middle of the night with a bad dream and/or memory - a thought or feeling may be haunting him.
9) may be feeling of "losing grip on sanity"