Jess Karlin is dead!

WyrdRaven

Wow, this is so bizarre. I remember JK from his postings on tarot-l. So hard to believe he was just somebody's nom de plume!

gregory

He could always be back... Glenn Wossname still exists... No doubt we shall see more postings from beyond the grave })

Richard

I'm surprised the JK persona lasted as long as it did. Unless the guy was a genuine sociopath, I don't see how it could be much fun to deliberately alienate as many people as possible, year after year. I always thought he might have been consciously playing a role which eventually became obnoxious to most people who came in contact with him. I interacted with him a few times, but his attitude made genuine dialogue impossible, and others were too intimidated to join in on my behalf. The JK phenomenon was a waste of an intellect which might otherwise have made a significant contribution to Tarot.

firecatpickles

LRichard said:
I'm surprised the JK persona lasted as long as it did. Unless the guy was a genuine sociopath, I don't see how it could be much fun to deliberately alienate as many people as possible, year after year. I always thought he might have been consciously playing a role which eventually became obnoxious to most people who came in contact with him. I interacted with him a few times, but his attitude made genuine dialogue impossible, and others were too intimidated to join in on my behalf. The JK phenomenon was a waste of an intellect which might otherwise have made a significant contribution to Tarot.
This is perfect! OMG LMAO...

Picture this: LRichard delivering this eulogy at JK's funeral: all deadpan and solemn, the attendees sobbing hysterically in the church pews.

Medvsa

I don't have the first clue who the deceased was, but I know from internet trolls, and I always find it endlessly amazing that an apparently intelligent person would put good energy and brainpower into causing useless controversy and aggravation on the internet. I mean really, did he have that much time on his hands? And why tarot? It boggles the mind.

Abrac

I find some of his ideas pretty half-baked but he also offered some genuinely important insights and information for those willing to ignore his venom. It seems to me he had been grasping pretty hard for fresh ideas for a while, so his "demise" doesn't really surprise me. It looks more like a stunt calculated to get attention though. I'll be surprised if this is truly the end. :)

His website is still available through waybackmachine.org. Just enter ***.tarotica.com. (*=w)

Richard

Maybe nasty characters such as JK are needed to counterbalance the goody-goody types. Both extremes can be equally obnoxious. Most of us fall somewhere in between.

Pen

He has a book about tarot on Lulu. I wondered if perhaps the blog and stirring was part of the process of writing that particular book.

I've read some of his essays over the years, and my impression was that he was an intelligent and knowledgeable person (although militant and outspoken in the way he expressed his views), but then I've never come across any direct person to person abuse.

He must have been very extreme to account for the early posts in this thread.

Pen

gregory

Pen - if you WANT to know....

But yes - he was. Not least his views on women in tarot. (We female tarotistas are all fat, as well, by the way...)

BodhiSeed

Glad I DIDN'T know him...
gregory said:
But yes - he was. Not least his views on women in tarot. (We female tarotistas are all <i>fat</i>, as well, by the way...)
Wow, he must not get out much. Sounds like he must live in his mom's basement, hunkered over the computer all day and night...