can you help explain these symbols to me?

puetz

My dad got two tattoos which he never fully got to explain to me before he died. I know they have something to do with tarot cards and astrology but after searching the internet I can't find something that connects his three symbols and my three symbols. For him, the symbols were one that looked like a slanted backwards N with a line coming perpendicular to the top point of the N figure (couldn't seem to find that one online), a square, and an h (possibly the symbol for saturn). My three symbols were the sun symbol (circle with dot in it), a triangle, and the mercury symbol (looks like the female sign with a little semi circle on top). If it helps his birthday was April 17th(Aries) and mine is January 3rd (Capricorn).
If anyone has the answer for why these symbols are grouped together and what it means it would be very helpful to me, thanks!

ps sorry for all the description of the symbols, couldn't seem to upload a picture.

Cor serpentis

I'm not sure if I understand correctly all explanations, but it might help:
-Triangle is for fire element
-If "backwards N" looks like "И", it is cyrillic letter "I", but I really don't know (from astrology, mythology or something else) that it has any kind of conection with (western) astrology, tarot, mythology etc., with some line on it or not.
- "H" is cyrilic "N" (if it is capital letter), but in square I'm quite sure that it, too, has no connetcion with Saturn. If it is not capital letter, it may looks like some of cyrillic letters which have no equivalent in languages which uses only latin wrighting (I'm not sure that is proper expression, but I hope that you understand what I'm trying to say :) ), but may looks like symbol of Saturn.
-Square, but with a dot in the center, is symbol of cardinal quadruciplity (both Aries and Capricorn are cardinal signs)

I hope I've helped :)

Minderwiz

Hi puetz,

Did your Dad say that these were Tarot/Astrology symbols or is this something you've assumed. The same symbol can be used in any number of systems of 'code' where it represents something specific to that system.

From an astrological perspective I can attach meanings to five of the six symbols you mention and even put them in a sentence but in the case of the second group the sentence whilst making sense is factually impossible.

The square is literally the symbol of the square aspect - 90 degrees and the triangle is the symbol of the Trine aspect - 120 degrees. So with the second group the sentence would read 'Sun in a trine aspect to Mercury'. The only problem is that the Sun can never be trine to Mercury. The furthest Mercury gets from the Sun is 27 degrees. So either the symbols are not used in an astrological context or the person creating the symbols was unaware of the error in the relationship between Mercury and the Sun. I suspect that the former explanation is correct - these were not meant to symbolise astrological relationships.

The first set have a symbol which like you I don't understand, though it might help if you could draw it, scan it in and post it as an attachment. It's not a planetary or similar symbol that would make sense in the sentence X square to Saturn (where X is what is represented by the symbol). Again I think it's unlikely that these symbols are used in an astrological context.

Sorry I can't be more help, at least without further research.