The Black Light BOTA

agviz

Isn't the BOTA copyright expired? Have you asked the BOTA group that sells the cards in black and white? I thought the expired copyright was the whole reason they could offer up those cards?

Oh...you may have a point there. I admit I was just assuming that.

agviz

I have Carol's Starlight Illuminated (pocket size with glitter). I'll take this opportunity to say I love Carol's work and she's truly a great asset to tarot. There, I've said it.

Pam O

I have Carol's Starlight Illuminated (pocket size with glitter). I'll take this opportunity to say I love Carol's work and she's truly a great asset to tarot. There, I've said it.

I too am totally grateful to be lucky enough to have her hand painted decks.

Did you see this part on her site?

"No more custom orders for glitter and iridescent decks..." She celebrates her 70th birthday this month and she is setting new parameters for her custom made decks!
She "may continue to make glitter and hand painted iridescent decks, but only as I am inspired to do so, and have time for it."

Carol Herzer is a great one to ponder as you consider bringing your very special deck out to us enthusiasts....

Pam O

Oh - but they ARE under copyright. She redrew them herself to deal with that.

US Games claims a copyright on everything EXCEPT for the actual RWS images. Essentially this means their designs on the back of the deck and the box.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/tarot/faq.htm#usgames1971cnote

Q. What is the US copyright status of a work published in 1909?

A. Any work published prior to 1922, regardless of the country of publication, the citizenship of the author, whether it was registered or not, is in the public domain in the United States. No further copyright claims can be made on that work, and any attempt to prosecute someone for use of that work would be thrown out of a copyright court.

Pam O

More info from Carol's site:
"Among other things he sent me a black and white majors set of the RWS deck, a copy used in Europe for students of tarot to work with. I made two paintings of each of the majors. the turned out very well, and so I decided to go on and complete the entire 78 card deck"

http://www.soul-guidance.com/tarotdecks/page_28.htm

goldenquince

Those are beautiful; I especially love how you colored the page of pentacles with the coin illuminated and the light reflecting off of the body--job well done. This is a pretty ingenious idea too...I know I'm kind of late with the compliment, but there you go.

agviz

I too am totally grateful to be lucky enough to have her hand painted decks.

Did you see this part on her site?

"No more custom orders for glitter and iridescent decks..." She celebrates her 70th birthday this month and she is setting new parameters for her custom made decks!
She "may continue to make glitter and hand painted iridescent decks, but only as I am inspired to do so, and have time for it."

Carol Herzer is a great one to ponder as you consider bringing your very special deck out to us enthusiasts....

I just recently got Carol's deck and noticed immediately afterwards that the glitter decks were no longer available. I might be the last, or one of the last, to get one. I feel very privileged to have it and it's very special to me. And yes, Carol is an inspiration and a grand one at that.

Thanks for that copyright info. That's very insightful.

Those are beautiful; I especially love how you colored the page of pentacles with the coin illuminated and the light reflecting off of the body--job well done. This is a pretty ingenious idea too...I know I'm kind of late with the compliment, but there you go.

Comments like yours are very encouraging, so thank you!

gregory

US Games claims a copyright on everything EXCEPT for the actual RWS images. Essentially this means their designs on the back of the deck and the box.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/tarot/faq.htm#usgames1971cnote

Q. What is the US copyright status of a work published in 1909?

A. Any work published prior to 1922, regardless of the country of publication, the citizenship of the author, whether it was registered or not, is in the public domain in the United States. No further copyright claims can be made on that work, and any attempt to prosecute someone for use of that work would be thrown out of a copyright court.
Well, yes, But have a word with tarotbear, who would have had to pay USG a small fortune to use the images in a REPRINT of his existing book with just the b/w images in. USG take the view that the images ARE under their copyright. And whether or not they would win in court - TB says that they DO start legal action - that costs, whoever wins. There's a thread, but I have a ferry to catch.