Sun Signs????

yaraluna

hello

I came across Linda Goodman's star signs' book recently, and yesterday i got the sun signs book.
so far the star signs one is a bit all over the place (writing style) but good.
is Linda Goodman a good source for astrology etc? any tips or opinions on her books, teachings, etc?

thank you
yara

willowfox

Personally I don't like her books at all, they are aimed at the masses who know pretty much nothing about astrology.

Mellifluous

I had her book Love Signs back in the '90s. Pretty sexist, in my opinion. Also, just hard to wade through even though I was excited about it at the time. Don't think I ever did read much more than my own sign. lol

I read about half of a book by Steven Forrest a year or two ago that seemed leap years better to me. The Inner Sky was the title. It's on my list to buy one day as I still know only a bit about astrology.

Minderwiz

I too have the Linda Goodman book, which I 'inherited' over 30 years ago when I got married! It's not a bad book of its kind but you need to remember that before the twentieth century sun sign astrology was virtually unknown.

It arrived through the newspaper column (and magazine column) as a way of providing a 'simple' astrological reading that could reach the masses. It's not without some merit but compared to a full reading using all the planets and horoscope points it is analogous to a black and white rough sketch compared to a full colour portrait in oils.

Treat it is a starting point but if you really want to get into astrology look for an alternative beginners book by someone such as Alan Oken, Nick Campion, or Stephen Arroyo - and apologies to any good author I've ignored The Steven Forrest book mentioned above is also good.

yaraluna

thank you for your feedback.
I have noticed that the books are somewhat sexist and ...don't know how to explain it...kind of thing.

the star sign book i came across i am weeding out what i want and that is it, as it is all over theplace and not quite there sometimes.

i will look into the books suggested here. thank you

yara

floracove

I ordered my Sun Signs book when I was 13 years old and studied that sucker, every sign, and read it as I was older too. Maybe it takes a Pisces to understand the kinds of books that are all over the place...
*shrugs*

I hope to replace my copy one day, as it was lost in moving or something...

Good book in my opinion.

*edit*
I should add that there are indeed some things I don't understand, especially in her Goobers book. But Goodman's Moon Sign book is good too.

GoddessArtemis

OMG, I remember that book! I read it when I was in my teens, and I didn't agree with its description of Pisces as being submissive, laid back, and a follower (from what I remember). What? That's not me! So I searched around in the book for a Sun sign that matched my own better, and came up with Aries. Hehe. :D

Now I know there's so much more to a person's astrological profile than a Sun sign which has helped me understand my own personality, and thank goodness for it, or I'd think my parents had lied to me about my birthday!

GA