Scorpio, Libra and The Great Gatsby

january

Hi there everyone -

Late last night I found myself watching The Great Gatsby (1974, Robert Redford, Mia Farrow) and noticed something for the first time (I've seen it dozens of times).

First, a quick synopsis for those who have never seen the film. Taking place in New York in the 1920's, Jay Gatsby (Redford) and Mrs. Daisy Bucchanan (Farrow) rediscovered their love for one another after he returned from WWI and had an affair. Their lifestyle was of the decadent kind, money, pretention as well as the unhappiness that such wealth can bring. Gatsby was shot to death in his pool by the husband of Daisy's husband's lover (got that?)

Anyway, I noticed while Daisy and Gatsby were lying in each other's arms alongside the pool, their faces were reflected over the sign of Scorpio - the house of sex and death! In the set, the shallow inside portion of the pool was tiled with the signs of the zodiac.

In the scene where Gatsby was shot, the gun ended up landing in the same area of the pool, this time right in between Scorpio and Libra - between secrets/death and justice.

This was obviously intentional on Coppola's part.... and a brilliant way to convey the intrinsic theme of the film.

Has anyone else who has seen the movie noticed this? In any sense, its a good film worth checking out. maybe theres other astrological clues within it, who knows?

truthsayer

i've never noticed that in the film. now i feel like i have to see it again to check that out!

Meow

The Great Gatsby!
Sharks, we had to do that novel in class :eek:
We watched a film on it too, but I don't know which one it was.