Reading Your Chart

Minderwiz

Etoile,

In the context I've used it a strong aspect is one which is exact or near to it. For example a square is a 90 degree angle between two planets, if the angle is say 88- 92 degrees I would take this as a strong aspect. If the angle were say 84 - 96 degrees I would take that as a weak aspect.

There is no hard and fast rules about how quickly aspects use strength and indeed whether they ever become so weak as to be completely negligible. However for practical purposes all astrologers will set 'orbs' - a range around the exact angle - which they will use to decide whether an aspect should be considered. All astrologers will agree that the nearer to exact the angle becomes the stronger is the interaction between the two planets.

Minderwiz

Planets and Points

We have looked at the elements and the overall shape of the Natal Chart – now is the time to start looking at the planets and sensitive points.

I am going to divide these into four main groups.

Firstly the Ascendant, Sun and Moon. These are the three most important placements in the natal chart.

Secondly Mercury, Venus and Mars. Together with the Sun and Moon they make up the Personal Planets in any natal chart.

Thirdly, Jupiter, Saturn and the Midheaven. Jupiter and Saturn are termed social planets – they give an indication of how a person fits into society and reacts with society. The Midheaven or MC gives some indication of Social Status and Career.

Fourthly, the trans-Saturns – Uranus, Neptune and Pluto. These are often called generational planets because they stay in the same sign for several years – over 30 years in the same sign is possible in the case of Pluto.

There are other bodies that you might include, such as Chiron the comet/asteroid, or Sensitive Points, such as the Part of Fortune. However if you are a novice I would not include these until you can satisfactorily handle the rest. That is not to say that they are unimportant but that in the main they give supporting information rather than prime information about a person.

In each case the method is to look at the sign in which the planet or point is located, look at the House in which it is located and look at any aspects it makes to the other Planets and sensitive points. I will only cover major aspects – the conjunction, opposition, square, trine and sextile. Again this is not because minor aspects are unimportant but because as a beginner these are the main ones that require synthesis into your interpretation. The minor aspects will add supporting information and detail. Deal with them when you feel confident.

The above areas are the essentials. You may well see other techniques being used, such as midpoints, but the essentials are what count. I tend only to use minor aspects, midpoints, Chiron, etc when I am focussing on a particular issue. For a general interpretation I tend to emphasise elements and shape, plus personal planets and their major aspects.

zander770

chiron

Minderwiz said:
Chiron is a very debatable issue. There are many Astrologers who would count it here. There are also many who would not count it at all or use it as a supporting 'planet' after the count. I don't use it at this stage but if you feel that Chiron has a definite role to play then you can include it.

(~Z~770) great thread, btw...i just got a new transit reading done and was a "wee-bit confused" regarding this "astroid" dubed "chiron"--for example:

"Chiron 3rd House – Chiron through the 3rd House has to do with the ways we were allowed to express our ideas and feeling to others as children. We learn how we should communicate very early in life, what is OK and what isn’t OK. The results color the way that we will exchange information throughout the rest of our life. The manner in which you learned to communicate or not communicate to others can hold you back from expressing your true self to others, and from intimately sharing who you are with another in a relationship. This transit reveals the pain you feel by not being able to express whom you truly are to others, and offers you the opportunity to open up and communicate."

i've been attempting to "understand" astrology, for years! cannot figure out exactly my "lack of talent" is, but, it's still "hard," for me...well? at least tarot's a forte!

and, moreover: how can one doubt "the king of the centaurs"?!?

~Z~770
:T2P

isthmus nekoi

Minderwiz, I feel a bit weird asking this again, but it's something that I've been wondering about: How important are dispositors in interpreting a chart? Do mutual receptions have a great impact (esp if one planet is in exalt or fall), or do they need strong aspects to really have an influence?

Minderwiz

A very good question Isthmus, and I'm not sure there is a definitive answer to it - or at least whether I know the answer to it :) .

For other's reading this thread a dispositor is the planet who rules the sign another planet is in. so at the moment the Sun is in Sagittarius, the ruler of Sagittarius is Jupiter, so Jupiter is the Sun's dispositor. Next weekend when the Sun moves into Capricorn, the Sun's dispositor will be Saturn. Each planet has a dispositor, unless it is in a sign that it rules itself. So Jupiter in Sagittarius is its own dispositor - or if you prefer it does not have a dispositor. Dispositors are rather like the person who is putting you up for the night, you have something of an obligation to them and they have considerable influence over you.

Mutual reception is where two planets disposit each other - for example Jupiter in Cancer and the Moon in Sagittarius disposist each other - its the equivalent of swapping houses for a week with someone. You each have an obligation to the other but you are in quite a strong position because they owe you just as much as you owe them.

In traditional Astrology dispositorships are important, and I use them in my horary readings if I need to. In a natal reading I tend not to use them unless I'm exploring something in more depth. So if I'm looking at say, the sixth House in some depth because I've a question relating to health. Then I will use the dispositor (or ruler) of the planet who rules the sixth House. For example if the sixth House is in Gemini and Mercury is in Aries, then I will also involve Mars in my analysis by sign and House, as well as Mercury and as well as any planet in the sixth (and also the Moon if any of the planets are in Cancer - though Mars will get the important emphasis and the Moon much less).

I take mutual reception as having some importance even if there is no aspect between the two planets - though if there is an aspect then the relationship is more important and if it is a strong aspect then it will be very important.

One of the problems I find, is that using a computer you can amass an awful lot of data and if you try to include it all then you can run to thirty to fifty pages for a reading. At this length you probably obscure as much as you highlight - so I now keep to a much shorter list of chart features (those I'm covering in this thread) and use the others for an indepth look at a particular issue in depth.

Whether others do the same I'm not sure but I think they probably do.

isthmus nekoi

Thanks a bunch, Minderwiz! :D I was finding it strange, how some books would emphasize dispositors, and some wouldn't mention them at all! I suspected my 2 mutual receptions were important b/c they aspect each other: Jup/Ven quintile by less than a degree, Mars/Uran sextile by 4. Mars/Uran are very important though b/c they're conj my ASC/MC respectively...

I agree that dispositors is probably not the first thing in a chart someone should look at. After the main structures and themes of the chart has been laid down, this can probably be built upon it. In following big to little, general to specific, you won't find yourself lost in all the information... ie once you know what the main issues of the chart are, you can apply the specifics accordingly (instead of having a bunch of specifics and not knowing what to do w/them).

Minderwiz

If you are looking for a good book on dispositors have a look at Alan Oken's Rulers of the Horoscope for an application of these to a natal chart. On the more traditional side Kevin Burk's Astrology - Understanding The Birth Chart, gives a slightly different slant - both are well worth the read.

As you say, for focussing right down into particular areas of the chart they are very useful. They don't really help you see the wood from the trees, but once you've identified the wood they're great in identifying the species of trees and their sub species.

isthmus nekoi

thanks for the book suggestions, Minderwiz. I'm going to add them to the intro thread!

Minderwiz

Ascendant, Sun and Moon

The first and most important group of planets (and sensitive points) is the Ascendant, Sun and Moon.

In the space available I cannot really cover all possibilities in terms of sign and house placement and therefore will not attempt the undertaking. Instead I’ll deal with general principals of the approach and suggest some reading.

Dealing with the reading first, there are many books on the market designed to provide a ‘cookbook’ approach. A good one in Stephen Arroyo’s ‘Chart Interpretation Handbook’, which is fine for beginners and the experienced alike. For the more advanced student Tracy Marks’ ‘Art of Chart Interpretation’ provides an excellent structural approach – excellent for Virgo’s and Capricorns.

The Ascendant is often described as the mask we wear or the image of ourselves that we project to the outside world. The only real disagreement with this definition comes from the Parkers (Julia and Derek) in their Parker’s Astrology – where they argue that people are now so used to their Sun sign characteristics that they deliberately project those, the Ascendant being the real underlying ‘you’. I go with the majority. For my purposes the ‘Ascendant’ therefore is the characteristics of the sign on the Eastern Horizon of your natal chart, that you project to the outside world. It also gives an indication of how we ‘see’ and ‘interpret’ the world around us. If you have a Scorpio Ascendant then you will project yourself in a very ‘Scorpion’ way to others but you will also see the world through the eyes of ‘Scorpio’ – it tells us something about how we meet life. If you are using the equal House system, knowing the Ascendant will also give further indications of personality- for example the Scorpio Ascendant person will have Sagittarius on the cusp of his or her second House and therefore will have a very optimistic and energetic approach to money and possessions. Also of importance is the blend between Ascendant and Sun sign – if the two are compatible then we are much more at peace with ourselves than if the two are rather incompatible. Someone with an Aries Sun but a Cancer Ascendant may find it difficult to express their creativity and their will and their inner selves through their interaction with the world. A Sagittarius Sun sign with a Leo Ascendant will find it much more easy.

Finally on the Ascendant, look for the Ascendant ruler – the Planet ruling your Ascendant sign. Its position in your horoscope is very important and it is the third most important planet in your chart (some would say second most important) – its position by sign and house will influence the way in which you behave. For example if your ruling planet is Mercury and its in the tenth House then you will find a need to establish your self through your position in the world (career and social status), through communicating with others to achieve this or through the use of mental energy in your chosen career. If Mercury is in Scorpio then you will do this in a very intense way.

The Sun sign denotes the way in which your creativity, will power, general health and inner purpose manifest themselves in the outside world. For example Sun in Sagittarius suggests that this will be in an expansive and optimistic manner. The Sun’s House placement shows the area of life in which the foremost expression of these traits occurs (but of course not the only one). The Sun in the sixth may denote a desire to serve others, or work in health care industries. Sun in the fifth may denote an inclination to be a gambler, or a sports person or to express through hobbies and games. Sun in the eighth may express these traits through working for big business, working with other people’s money and resources or designing in waste disposal systems (amongst a large variety of other things). The extent to which you find this easy or difficult will depend on compatibility between Sun and Ascendant, Sun and Moon and the various aspects to the Sun. A preponderance of easy aspects (trines and sextiles) may make it easier to express yourself than a preponderance of squares and oppositions. (of course the planets involved in these aspects will influence how the expression takes place). For example Sun aspects to Saturn (father) or the Moon (mother) may indicate childhood experiences and the effect of childhood on our lives. Finally look for the planet ruling the sign in which the Sun is placed. Unless you are a Leo, the Sun will have a ruler and its placement by sign and house will also affect the way in which the Sun can express itself.

The Moon represents our receptive, passive, instinctual feelings. It is often identified with the unconscious and our reactions without thinking. It also shows the situations in which we feel at ease with ourselves or right about ourselves. Traditionally it also says something about our relationship to public things and the public at large. The Moon is identified with the Mother and so it also represents our Mothers in the horoscope, along with the tenth House. As with Sun/Ascendant the Sun/Moon compatibility is important. For example if we have Aquarius as our Sun sign we may find it very difficult to integrate a Cancer Moon into our personality. Aquarius likes to be detached, does not really trust feelings and emotions, the Same would be true of a Capricorn Sun and Cancer Moon. The Moon’s placement by sign and House indicate how we express this intuitive, receptive, somewhat moody side of ourselves. In Cancer we will be highly protective of family and Children, taking an extremely ‘maternal’ role whether we are male or female, in the ninth house we are likely to feel good about ourselves whilst learning, developing and expanding ourselves. We feel at ease with long distance travel or higher education.

Again the ease with which we can express the Moon in our charts is governed by the aspects to it from the other planets. The Moon’s ruler does not get the attention that the chart ruler and the Sun’s ruler get. However it will help to look at its position by sign and house. The affairs of the House occupied by the Moon and the House occupied by its ruler are linked.

AquarianGoddess suggested in one of her posts that it’s a good idea to construct cue cards, for the planets, signs and houses. All that you need to do then is to take the cue card for, say, the Sun and find the cue cards relating to its sign and House. Read these consecutively to achieve your initial interpretation.

I’ve assumed here that people are relatively familiar with the Signs and Houses. If you are not I will gladly post these as a separate (short) thread and try to keep them relatively high up in the threads list. Just let me know.

lunalafey

Re: Ascendant, Sun and Moon

Minderwiz said:
For the more advanced student Tracy Marks’ ‘Art of Chart Interpretation’ provides an excellent structural approach – excellent for Virgo’s and Capricorns.

Asc. virgo
Sun. capricorn
Moon. capricorn

Ya' think I should get this book???

I can see how the Sun and Asc. can get turned around, people getting used to thier sun sign....projecting those traits I think I'm sort of that way, but not the same in projecting.
Yet, I agree with the majority as well, that the Asc. is the 'us' we take into the world.
There is Virgo that comes out in me that I never noticed before. People think I'm a Virgo. Virgo and Cap are very simular though, and the combination of signs and planets sort of squeezes it all into one ball.