Planets-Between-Partners Series: Sun-Saturn

dadsnook2000

Oh, this is a tough one. Sun, the core of our solar system, our charts, our environments sustainability, a most important component of very many things in our life -- the Sun is amost the opposite of much that Saturn represents. Saturn, the furthest out of the ancient-planets, the limits of the solar system as seen by most of earth's inhabitants over the aeons, Father Time, the great teacher, the dour master, the taskmaster -- Saturn has a bad reputation for many people. So, just how do we go about bring sense to Sun in one chart aspecting Saturn in another chart, especially when these two people may be quite close in some way?

SUN conjunct SATURN:
In prior Sun-to-planet aspect reviews in this series of threads, the conjunction was almost always a positive one or largely a positive one. Let's look again at what Sun represents: Power, vitality, ego, will, warmth, energy. Saturn is seen as representing: Limits, responsibility, security, caution. teaching hard lessons. Together, we can get all kinds of combinations forthis pairing. Sun will encourage and push Saturn to apply rules and structures in a positive way. Saturn will, in turn, tend to slow down the Sun, bring a more conservative view to Sun's optimism. Saturn will lend practicality and planning to Sun's grand view and sense of identity. In other words, these two can, CAN, work well as a team under the right conditions.

Can Sun always put up with Saturn's slowness and caution? Cooperation between these two will probably develop only after some time has gone by. Is there time in a given relationship? Will "time" be transplanted with "difference in age" suggesting that a teacher-student, superior-inferior relationship has to be in place?! Saturn will impose structure, teach lessons, take its time. Sun will vitalize, give identity to the relationship. What "words of description" will fit the best will depend upon two things -- the nature of the relationship and the charts other participating aspects to either/both of these astrological bodies. In other words, this one pair where we have to practice good and highly personal astrology in order to put the right words and understanding in place. No easy answers here.

Equal Partners: After time has passed, this bond is substantial. A sense of being tied together is likely to persist. Saturn will benefit most in this form of relationship. Sun will not like to feel hemmed in, so Saturn will need to cover itself with a sense of quiet support and guidance.

Marriage Partners: A difference in ages or maturity is often the case. Sun will give in more, Saturn will get more -- a turn from the Sun-Jupiter situation.

Parent-Child Relationships: A Saturn parent will be a real dampener upon a Sun child, breeding resentment if not careful, extremely careful. The child can become quiet, anxious, perhaps afraid to express itself. A Sun parent might expect too much, too soon from a Saturn child, leading to obvious problems for the child such as low self-esteem. Poor communication can be the first of many problems.

SUN opposite SATURN:
With this aspect we can expect there to be less loyalty, less give-and-take, less cooperation and ability to work together well as a team. Sun will find this aspect more wearing than will Saturn, while Saturn will be more focused on requiring some due diligence and adherance to sturcture. Saturn demands a focus and a plan, Sun demands some freedom and movement. All in all, this is a bit uncomfortable in most cases. So, place these statements on top of the conjunction statements.

SUN square SATURN:
The Suns power, Saturns caution and security; what conflicts are inherent in this pattern? Almost everything. Saturn just pressures the Sun person in almost every case. This is not an aspect within a relationship in which two people should engage in if they knew the problems ahead of time. Its is one of those aspectual pairings were both individuals should walk away from if they could -- this is something that astrologers would almost never say, yet in this case it is probably something that should be considered. Now that I've put my foot in my mouth, let's move on.

SUN trine or sextile SATURN:
This aspect can suggest a productive balance between esteem, ambition, planning. Things can almost always be worked out, one stepping on the feet of the other will be avoided or compensated for. This is a "teamwork" aspect. As such this aspect is good for business relationships and marriages wherein both partners are teamed up in a joint project or supporting fields.

SUMMARY:
All in all, these aspects of Sun to Saturn between partners can be the stuff that legends are made of. Those on the list who have these two in some form of aspect will have interesting stories to share, I'm sure. Dave.

dadsnook2000

Having just put my foot in my mouth . . .

My Saturn squares my wife's Sun. I hadn't thought about that while I was writing the original post. My wife always has ideas for improving this, changing that, going there, doing something. I'm always the one that has to carry them out -- as I'm more physically capable and often have the range of skills to carry out a plan of hers. I often refer to the constant stream of activities we are engaged in as "the endless project."

Now, there are a lot of other pro-con aspects between our charts, which I'm sure will be discussed over the course of this Planets-between-Partners series of threads. For now, I just want to stay focused on the Sun-Saturn pair. The wife is always saying that she is leaving this situation, has said that for years, resulting in me just hanging back and not committing to everything that the realtionship should require. We have adopted three grandchildren -- this is the "age difference" portion of the Sun-Saturn aspect. Of course, neither of us can walk away from the life we have built up, but the discouragement that goes with this aspect and pair can be clearly seen in many ways. Because of that we each have a shared life and seperate lives in terms of activities and goals -- its a way of making it all work and yield the benefits everyone wishes to gain in a lifetime.

So, with that detailed revelation, I expect the same from the others on the list. Its the only way we can learn and grow. Dave.

The Suns power, Saturns caution and security; what conflicts are inherent in this pattern? Almost everything. Saturn just pressures the Sun person in almost every case. This is not an aspect within a relationship in which two people should engage in if they knew the problems ahead of time. Its is one of those aspectual pairings were both individuals should walk away from if they could -- this is something that astrologers would almost never say, yet in this case it is probably something that should be considered. Now that I've put my foot in my mouth, let's move on.

Grigori

I have my Sun opposing their Saturn, but don't really relate to any of the interpretation given by Dave or other resources I've read. My Sun also has strong relations with their Moon (conjunct), Neptune (trine) and Pluto (opposition) so I think poor Saturn gets a bit overwhelmed and cast aside.

Thankfully :D

We have a very committed friendship, and quite stable, maybe thanks to Saturn. Perhaps all that soft watery Moon and Neptune prevents Saturn getting too restricting. I would count her as the least restricing person I know actually, which defies Saturns role somewhat.

dadsnook2000

Interesting

Similia, it is not often that Saturn get supressed to the degree you have indicated. When we look at Sun sign astrology and also at the influence of Saturn in peoples charts, we can say that those two bodies alone seem to "prove" astrology's impact.

I would say that, as you have indicated, that your relationship has benefitted from Saturn's diminished role -- dare we say, "Lucky you." This does not in any way diminish what I've said, and have found, about Saturn over the years. Every astrologer finds overwhelming reinforcement for the "book" statements about Saturn in virtually every case. So, again, lucky you. Dave

isthmus nekoi

I know another popular astrologer who will immediately write off any potential romantic partner if there's a Saturn square sun combo. She believes that the Saturn person will inevitably put too much pressure on the sun person.

Unfortunately, I present another anomally. I have Saturn square my sun natally which means basically anyone born around me will have their Saturn square my sun as well. I've had all kinds of relationships in my age group (including very close, intimate and/or romantic relationships) and I've never had more problems than the next person, I'd wager. Two of my best friends have their Saturn square my sun. They're both very supportive relationships, one of which has survived a very extended long distance period. You could say our communication with each other became very dedicated and consistent (very Saturn!). Of course, there is also a lot of positive synastry in those cases. Having written that, I also don't find my Saturn transits typical. Transiting Saturn brings more love into my life, especially with the Saturn-Saturn transits. Not exactly what the textbooks will tell you lol.

star-lover

isthmus nekoi said:
I know another popular astrologer who will immediately write off any potential romantic partner if there's a Saturn square sun combo. She believes that the Saturn person will inevitably put too much pressure on the sun person.

l.

I've heard this warning more for venus square saturn than sun square saturn

isthmus nekoi said:
Unfortunately, I present another anomally. I have Saturn square my sun natally which means basically anyone born around me will have their Saturn square my sun as well. .

Me too! Sun square saturn (though wide at 8 degrees) and in a certain relationship where the person was born few days away from me, same year, he had it too and of course, we have a double whammy in the synastry too!
Perhaps if you have a certain aspect natally then sharing it in synastry, it loses some of its potency? because you know what it's about personally and are perhaps more willing to work with it? turn blind eye to its problematic side? it's almost as if it reverses itself here - you help each other because of it? a mutual understanding? I know what I'm trying to say here, hope you know what I mean

I would also agree that mitigating aspects to sun-saturn square help calm the waters such as gentle moon-venus-neptune aspects but on its own, its true in my dealings, I've been harsh with the sun person, almost like a scolding mother, they want to just play all the time, I have to stick my oar in and say, no you can't because this and that needs to be sorted out first, and from their side of the aspect, they have been *cool* and seemingly disinterested in me and my wellbeing

But always, I think Sun-saturn denotes a *serious* relationship - the real deal - one that you will certainly learn alot from - and which better aspect to learn about yourself than sun-saturn interaction - not the pretties of aspects sun in awkward aspect to saturn but I can think of much worse ones lol - even with square and opposition there appears to be a lot of respect in this interaction and also trust and reliability - which has got to be a good thing

rainwolf

I dont have this combination in the partner series, but I have something that affects it. I have saturn conjunct my sun a degree away, separating. This semisextiles the sun of my SO in capricorn. I'm more capricorn though; the moon on the ascendant really takes the sun's capy energy away.

So it is similar to isthmus in that people my age form similar aspects.

stardancer

dadsnook2000 said:
SUN conjunct SATURN:
In prior Sun-to-planet aspect reviews in this series of threads, the conjunction was almost always a positive one or largely a positive one. Let's look again at what Sun represents: Power, vitality, ego, will, warmth, energy. Saturn is seen as representing: Limits, responsibility, security, caution. teaching hard lessons. Together, we can get all kinds of combinations forthis pairing. Sun will encourage and push Saturn to apply rules and structures in a positive way. Saturn will, in turn, tend to slow down the Sun, bring a more conservative view to Sun's optimism. Saturn will lend practicality and planning to Sun's grand view and sense of identity. In other words, these two can, CAN, work well as a team under the right conditions.

Can Sun always put up with Saturn's slowness and caution? Cooperation between these two will probably develop only after some time has gone by. Is there time in a given relationship? Will "time" be transplanted with "difference in age" suggesting that a teacher-student, superior-inferior relationship has to be in place?! Saturn will impose structure, teach lessons, take its time. Sun will vitalize, give identity to the relationship. What "words of description" will fit the best will depend upon two things -- the nature of the relationship and the charts other participating aspects to either/both of these astrological bodies. In other words, this one pair where we have to practice good and highly personal astrology in order to put the right words and understanding in place. No easy answers here.

Equal Partners: After time has passed, this bond is substantial. A sense of being tied together is likely to persist. Saturn will benefit most in this form of relationship. Sun will not like to feel hemmed in, so Saturn will need to cover itself with a sense of quiet support and guidance.

Marriage Partners: A difference in ages or maturity is often the case. Sun will give in more, Saturn will get more -- a turn from the Sun-Jupiter situation.

SUN opposite SATURN:
With this aspect we can expect there to be less loyalty, less give-and-take, less cooperation and ability to work together well as a team. Sun will find this aspect more wearing than will Saturn, while Saturn will be more focused on requiring some due diligence and adherance to sturcture. Saturn demands a focus and a plan, Sun demands some freedom and movement. All in all, this is a bit uncomfortable in most cases. So, place these statements on top of the conjunction statements.

SUMMARY:
All in all, these aspects of Sun to Saturn between partners can be the stuff that legends are made of. Those on the list who have these two in some form of aspect will have interesting stories to share, I'm sure. Dave.

I think Saturn is karmic. You're destined to be with another for good or bad, and since Saturn is limiting, most people would respond with negative feelings. I have my Saturn opposite my husband's Sun. His Saturn is conjuncting my Sun.

Ooooofda! LOL

We both annoy the hell out of each other, always ragging and stuff, but it's funny, I think we both seem to enjoy it to some degree. We've learned to pull back on limiting each other's behaviors, though. My husband was the one to try and limit my behavior a lot more than the other way around (the conjunction). I'm pretty much a lone wolf type, though. I don't like hanger ons. I like marriage, but not over done sense of duty. Funny, but here I am living in a sea of responsibility. Dutiful to my husband and all. At least I see it that way. It's a point I think about every day. I accept it, but I dwell on it. Life is not usually cake with frosting. I like hard work and he is a workaholic. Maybe this is why we don't divorce.

My husband is sloooow working. To the point he drives me crazy. I want things done quickly and efficiently. He has to think and think. I am critical of his dilly dally Gemini Sun behavior (the opposition). He acts like a father to me, even though we are the same age (the conjunction). This also annoys me to no end.

There are times I can sense our ability to get along like one of those old lovey dovey couples you see on TV, but personal habilts get in the way. This might be more because of our moons being square, though.

It would take a major catastrophe and then some, for us to divorce. My take is... any other couple without the heavy Saturn to Sun (or something else to do with Saturn) may have divorced moons ago. We've built a lifestyle that would be very complicated if we were to divorce and divy up the stuff and we both know it. It's all about finding the comfort zone living within Saturn's confines.

isthmus nekoi

star-lover said:
Me too! Sun square saturn (though wide at 8 degrees) and in a certain relationship where the person was born few days away from me, same year, he had it too and of course, we have a double whammy in the synastry too!
Perhaps if you have a certain aspect natally then sharing it in synastry, it loses some of its potency? because you know what it's about personally and are perhaps more willing to work with it? turn blind eye to its problematic side? it's almost as if it reverses itself here - you help each other because of it? a mutual understanding? I know what I'm trying to say here, hope you know what I mean

I don't know if having a natal Saturn-sun contact makes a synastry Saturn less potent but certainly the native is used to the Saturn pressure so it might not seem so oppressive and I think that's what you mean... I'm not sure if it facilitates a helping attitude but I agree there is potential for a shared understanding. This actually one thing I'll look at in relationships - if there are similar planetary contacts in natal charts. e.g. If other aspects are good, I get on very well w/people who have Venus-Neptune contacts b/c I have Venus-Neptune conjunct. I feel like we can understand art the same way. Maybe not the same type of art, but there's a sympatico, an understanding of what it's like to get lost in art, drown in art, be redeemed by art etc.

p.s. stardancer wow, thanks for sharing your story. If you don't mind my asking, what signs are your moons in?

Northwind

My Saturn is square my partner's Saturn. We are fundamentally different in some ways but there is much we find attractive in each other. We cater for the differences by not living together and have done that throughout a relationship of 10 years.

I sometimes would like to see how living together would be because of the potential advantages as well as challenges but I accept that is unlikely now.

Our Moons are both in the first house, one in Aries and one in Pisces, so that perhaps influences the wish that both of us have for autonomy.