Watch Mercury transit the Sun!

seaweed

I know it might be getting late for some, but has anybody had the chance to see Mercury transiting the Sun today? The local astronomy club down the block from me has up about 6 amature + 1 pro telescope--such a beautiful sight to see! Esp. through the Celestron CSC 'scope--amazing resolution!

But as people with our toes in astrology, it's neat to see the celestial events play out in real time. For anyone who can't get out today/tonight to see the transit, here's the link from the telescopes in Hawaii--multiple views (compliments of Sky and Telescope): http://astroday.net/MercTransit06.html

Oh, it's due to start showing around 9:12 HST, which seems to be about 7 hours different from MST, or about 9 hours different from EST. So, I'm not a rocket scientist, but here's approx. viewing times : )

EST--2:12 am
CST--1:12 am
MST--12:12 am
PCS--11:12 am

PixieLi

thanks for the link seaweed...how very interesting

I'm in Sydney and it's been cloudy and overcast for days

B*B
Pix:)

seaweed

Anytime, PixiLi...(you should've seen me trying to figure out the time difference for Sydney : ) I looked a bit like a dog trying to figure out Trigonometry LOL!

Sweet Irish Angel

Ta Very much

Im in Ireland so a few hours to wait, if I can stay up long enough I will have a wee look, will be like a walking zombie in work tomorrow haha :laugh:
very interesting, :) thanx a mill for the link

seaweed

So in about 6 hours...I'm guessing...it'll be about 5:12 pm in Sydney and about 6:12 am in Dublin?

: )...am I even close?

Sweet Irish Angel

Hey

hehe well its 1.08 am here in ireland so it will be 7.08 in 6hrs time, time to get up for work then hehe :) so yes you were very close hehe ;)

YDM42

.....2006 Transit of Mercury from the U.S.. Depending on the time zone, the transit begins at: 2:12 pm EST

Sweet Irish Angel

Hey

so thats tomorrow afternoon so? when will it be visable?? :confused: hehe

YDM42

Today- we missed it. I saw something - wonder if it looks like a comet in the evening sky- what i saws looked like a comet with a long tail, but I figure it was a plane or rocket.

This happened this after noon according to Nasa website, unless I'm reading wrong.

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/OH/transit06.html

seaweed

Well...at least I was close, SweetIrishAngel :) :)

We could see it here in Arizona between 12 pm and about 5:15 pm this afternoon--Wed. Nov. 8, so I'm hoping it'll still be visible for most people (west as the bird flies around the world.) What we could see was the sun, big, orange and neon-fiery, Mercury as a solid black spot very slowly moving from the left to the right of the picture and a big sunspot at the bottom of the Sun. In terms of relative size, if the Sun were a basketball, Mercury looked to be the size of the head of a pin (the sunspot was about 10x the size of Mercury.)

Not as impressive or pretty as a blood red lunar eclipse, but since the Merc. transit won't be visible here for another 10 years, it was nice to see :)

Oh, SweetIrishAngel! I'm so sorry. :( I just checked the site and it says it won't be visible over Europe. Maybe the Hawaiian webcam's your best shot. Here's the link that shows where it will be showing: http://astroday.net/Images/MercTrans/TransWindow.jpg