Starchild Tarot Study Group: 0. Starseed

kp.

In the Starchild Tarot, what is traditionally called The Fool has been renamed Starseed. There are two different versions of this card, depending on which edition you have.

This is one of the cards I was sad to see change. I love that the original Starseed was a woman of color/ethnic origin... I learned tarot by studying the classic RWS and I need a little diversity in my characters! I do love the new starseed though, so I'm happy to own both.

I love the way these cards both show female characters creating something from their hands. The first edition version seems a lot more powerful though, like she is literally creating the energy burst above her head, wheras the new version seems to be harnessing existing energy. Not sure if that's making any sense? Akashic Starseed is kinda awakening her Reiki energy, while the og Starseed is like a superhero, creating new energy out of nowhere.

I don't have the cards in front of me so that's all I can think to add at the moment. What are your thoughts on our Starseed babe??

alainaobrien

Hey Kristi, I own the Akashic deck, so I had to google the original deck's Starseed, and I totally get what you mean about her looking superhero-esque, like she's conjuring energy from thin air.

But, I have to say I really love the blissful, powerful energy of this Starseed. I can feel her realizing her full potential, and it reminds me of my own limitless potential.

The Fool traditionally represents how beginnings, starting a journey, and taking risks with childlike innocence and optimism (sometimes read as naïveté). Here, though the basic meaning is the same, the emphasis is on a spiritual journey, discovering our truth. However, there is still very much a "leaping in to the unknown" quality.

This Starseed is summoning her energy, concentrating, focusing, full of her own light.

kp.

yes, and i LOVE the way the sky above her and below her seems to be billowing with clouds of energy too. like she is activating the world around her while she realizes her own powers.

alainaobrien

She's very powerful isn't she? That she is about to embark on an important spiritual journey helps me to identify with her a lot easier than the Fool in other decks, she just feels more relatable. Though, I do love the Fool in the Wild Unknown as well.

I'm going to take a closer look at the added spiritual keys that come with the guidebook later this evening, so maybe I'll post about those, too :)

Citrin

The Fool vs. The Starseed!

In a way I love both of these cards, because they’re beautiful, pretty, and show powerful women. But overall I must say I prefer a more ”lost” looking Fool. :)

But then again, Danielle has changed the title for a reason to Starseed. I’m not THAT familiar with the concept of starchildren and starseeds, but to me a seed is a seed, it is the beginning, that first spark of something getting started… Like someone mentioned, this is The Fool going on a very spiritual journey. The Starseed is looking to connect with the universe and not so much with life itself (as I usually see The Fool’s journey, just my own view)… I kind of see these powerful depictions as a person/soul knowing that she carries a lot of wisdom inside of her. She has that seed, she is that seed, and therefore doesn’t feel quite as lost as the traditional Fool, who I view more as a blank page. The Starseed woman knows power and wisdom is in her, and she takes the leap knowing that the universe will open up to her. There’s trust in these Starseed cards. :)

kp.

In a way I love both of these cards, because they’re beautiful, pretty, and show powerful women. But overall I must say I prefer a more ”lost” looking Fool. :)

But then again, Danielle has changed the title for a reason to Starseed. I’m not THAT familiar with the concept of starchildren and starseeds, but to me a seed is a seed, it is the beginning, that first spark of something getting started… Like someone mentioned, this is The Fool going on a very spiritual journey. The Starseed is looking to connect with the universe and not so much with life itself (as I usually see The Fool’s journey, just my own view)… I kind of see these powerful depictions as a person/soul knowing that she carries a lot of wisdom inside of her. She has that seed, she is that seed, and therefore doesn’t feel quite as lost as the traditional Fool, who I view more as a blank page. The Starseed woman knows power and wisdom is in her, and she takes the leap knowing that the universe will open up to her. There’s trust in these Starseed cards. :)

excellent point! you're right. i never really thought about it like that. the beginning of the journey, but not quite so naive and vulnerable. a powerful beginning. thanks for the insight!!!

Hayleyc26

Hey ladies, sorry it's taken me to long to join, I've been lost in far away threads on this website trying to locate you all :)

Starseed First edition - I have never drawn this Starseed card, and I'm happily awaiting her arrival within a future spread.
First looking at the card, she is almost like an empress, she has this aura, this energy and this fire about her that is risk taking, strong, confident and willing to jump at any opportunities that come her way. She has magic about her, her hands full of endless possibilities and chances of hope and light. She is connected to her third eye and the universe surrounding her. Her intuition and gut feelings will prompt her in the direction she truely desires. She has a knowingness in her eyes - which reflects her hope and faith in what is beyond her sight. The constellation lines on her top (to me) signify the support of the stars and the skies above, fate and destiny have a plan for her and whether she flies or falls, lessons will be learnt and she will be where she needs to be. She believes in the magic of the universe.

Note: I don't own the Akashic edition.

alainaobrien

Glad you found us, Hayley :) ... I enjoyed what you and Ania both wrote.

"The Starseed is looking to connect with the universe and not so much with life itself (as I usually see The Fool’s journey, just my own view)… I kind of see these powerful depictions as a person/soul knowing that she carries a lot of wisdom inside of her. She has that seed, she is that seed, and therefore doesn’t feel quite as lost as the traditional Fool, who I view more as a blank page. The Starseed woman knows power and wisdom is in her, and she takes the leap knowing that the universe will open up to her. There’s trust in these Starseed cards."

"First looking at the card, she is almost like an empress, she has this aura, this energy and this fire about her that is risk taking, strong, confident and willing to jump at any opportunities that come her way. She has magic about her, her hands full of endless possibilities and chances of hope and light. She is connected to her third eye and the universe surrounding her. Her intuition and gut feelings will prompt her in the direction she truely desires. She has a knowingness in her eyes - which reflects her hope and faith in what is beyond her sight." (Though you have the original deck, I think your conclusions still apply to Akashic :))

The above excerpts from both of your posts really put words to what I was feeling about this Starseed, but couldn't quite put in to words myself. The thing that tends to bother me about the Fool is that some decks make them look like just that, a FOOL (not all decks, some :p). This deck lends a wisdom and strength to the Starseed that I like - not just anyone is going to embark on this difficult, dark, fulfilling journey - you already have to know that this journey will help you in the long-run before you start. The more days I've spent with this card by my bed, the more I love it. Like Hayley, I don't often draw the Fool, but I would be very please for Starseed to come up in future readings :)

Like Hayley said, "She believes in the magic of the universe." I love that!

I still don't think I'm done with this card though... Need a little more reading methinks.

Thanks for all the thoughts ladies! Loving this! ~Alaina xxx

kp.

so happy to have you all here and sharing!! i've been trying to a get a group going for months and months!! this is amazing!

all of your comments are super helpful to my understanding of this deck... when other people are able to put into words what you've always "just known" but can't figure out how to express, it's such a great feeling. so glad you guys are into it as much as i am :)

alainaobrien

hehe yes! this is already so fun :) happy i caught this comment on instagram - i think it was on an image i didn't even really notice in the first place :p