Unhappy horse?

EvaSegovia

Yes. Me again. I guess it's possible the horse is hot and doesn't want to be ridden. Still, if the overall message of the card is shining, freeing, seeing etc. (all very positive meanings) why put in a hot, unhappy horse?

gregory

Not ALL meanings are positive. There is also sunburn, burnout, crash and burn (Icarus), excessive optimism leading to failure. And no, those meanings are NOT just when it's reversed.

EvaSegovia

Gregory I see your point, and point well taken. Thank you.
And I think you've given me a better understanding of the feminine Sun as well (I'm now seeing the comfort and benevolence of a female Sun - as opposed to the fiery nature of a masculine sun?) BUT (and this is a BIG BUT) there are (as you, and others have said,) some very uncomfortable aspects even to a benevolent sun. (Put a hat and some sunscreen on that kid! And give that horse a drink!) (smile)

You have ALL expanded my perception of the card(s). (not to mention the art world ;) I LOVE that ah-ha! moment when it all comes together in my head! Thank you one and all!

Teheuti

On the Waite-Smith commemorative deck (based on first printing PamA: Roses & Lilies) the horse doesn't look unhappy to me at all. The Sun has an enigmatic, Mona Lisa-like smile. There are minor changes in each early printing of the deck as the printers had to redraw and reshade the images on the lithography surface. To make too much of the horse's expression in terms of Pixie's intent is something that can never be proved. It's a matter of opinion and personal perception. My opinions and perceptions have certainly changed over time.

To me the horse looks how the querent perceives him. It's the querent's perception that colors the whole meaning of the card for that person in that situation. I will also sometimes ask the querent what the horse thinks of the child.

Teheuti

Portraying horses' faces has a long tradition in art. Especially expressive: Gericault, Toulouse Lautrec.

Colman-Smith studied art and whether she knew these paintings (all of them very well-known) or not, she was certainly aware of the long and important tradition of horse paintings. No, I don't think Colman-Smith wanted a cute, smiling horse face. She depicted a dignified, strong horse.
I agree. Thank you for these great examples.

EvaSegovia

Ah Teheuti we meet again... You'll have me properly educated in no time! Thank you

ScorpioRegen

I disagree. Horses don't look happy. Horses don't smile and they're not cute. This horse has an important role (carrying the sun child, the newborn sun) and is aware of it.

The white horse has long been a symbol for paradise and a noble spirit (and does so until today, I'm reminded of Tolkien's Shadowfax, played by a white horse in the movie).

Here are some important depictions of white horses, underlining their association with light (even divine light), mythological creatures like unicorns, and paradise: Jan Breughel, Velazquez, George Stubbs, John Constable, Gauguin and Franz Marc.

Portraying horses' faces has a long tradition in art. Especially expressive: Gericault, Toulouse Lautrec.

Colman-Smith studied art and whether she knew these paintings (all of them very well-known) or not, she was certainly aware of the long and important tradition of horse paintings. No, I don't think Colman-Smith wanted a cute, smiling horse face. She depicted a dignified, strong horse. She was a good enough artist not to add, like cartoon artists, eye brows and a smile. That's nice for a children's movie (which I like very much), but it's absolutely not her style.

This really helps me undersatnd better from both the Estoic and Realsitic terms ofthe horses expression.I kind of feel now its like pulling an over enthusiatic child off a dog (keeping in mind the horses patience) that has no knowledge what so ever of the unhelpful stress in his own elation that hes causing the animal for his own sake. ie ' dont run over and touch the doggy he may bite you' as to which the child has no concept for EXCEPT a horse is more garceful and forgiving as he has done the fools journey 4 times already in the minor arcana. It feels like 'here we go again' have you not learned child!

ScorpioRegen

The reason I've been closely studying the images is because of Pamela Coleman Smith's admonition to look at the faces. She was a very good illustrator, so I don't think anything in the images is "by chance" I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this. I like both of your' takes on this. It's never occurred to me to look at the Sun card as having a sobering message... But there you have it....

Its a really good topic and thankful that others have confirmed she did study horses properly in order to convey the correct message. I personally think the sobering message for this card is ...hang on wooo your horse there kid,....did you... really think everything in this card is all dancing! get real.... lifes about off setting the balance where you can reap your day today but you need to look to whats needed for the next harvest....In other words 'short lived' keep your eye on the ball in my opinion nothings ever that good for more than a day or so. Enjoy today...and rollup your sleeves tomorrow. It really comes across as a harvest card to me, just my opinion :)

ScorpioRegen

I agree. Thank you for these great examples.

Wow the first image is amazing and the second whilst not so good really captures the mood for me. Thank you for sharing

ScorpioRegen

On the Waite-Smith commemorative deck (based on first printing PamA: Roses & Lilies) the horse doesn't look unhappy to me at all. The Sun has an enigmatic, Mona Lisa-like smile. There are minor changes in each early printing of the deck as the printers had to redraw and reshade the images on the lithography surface. To make too much of the horse's expression in terms of Pixie's intent is something that can never be proved. It's a matter of opinion and personal perception. My opinions and perceptions have certainly changed over time.

To me the horse looks how the querent perceives him. It's the querent's perception that colors the whole meaning of the card for that person in that situation. I will also sometimes ask the querent what the horse thinks of the child.

I often throw my SO a tarot card and ask what do you see? and in return he gives me great insight to the simple things I over look. I dont read for strangers yet other than the forum but cosider this a true nugget, so thank you