Unhappy horse?

ScorpioRegen

Not ALL meanings are positive. There is also sunburn, burnout, crash and burn (Icarus), excessive optimism leading to failure. And no, those meanings are NOT just when it's reversed.

I hear you, I feel this is a harvest card, and the consequences that go with it hence the 'Judgement' card

ScorpioRegen

Yes. Me again. I guess it's possible the horse is hot and doesn't want to be ridden. Still, if the overall message of the card is shining, freeing, seeing etc. (all very positive meanings) why put in a hot, unhappy horse?

I surmise this is to show mankind that we can be over zealous in our moment of glory or 'harvest' for what we feel we are entitled to after such a hard fools journey, however we need to be reminded that its not forever and what we do now as the subseqent consequences of this card leads us to the judgement card

EvaSegovia

Awesome responses! The "book" meanings are a far, far cry from what I'm getting here! BRAVO!
Eva

FLizarraga

Great thread! :thumbsup:

The whole Male Sun/female Moon idea is only a Western archetype. In Asia, the Sun is usually female (as well as the Moon). And the Sun as an embodiment of motherly warmth, comfort and benevolence makes perfect sense to me. Not sure if that was Waite's original intention, but we're talking here about what we see with our own eyes.

Abrac

Waite explains the symbolism of the sun in two ways; here's the full quote from the PKT:

"The naked child mounted on a white horse and displaying a red standard has been mentioned already as the better symbolism connected with this card. It is the destiny of the Supernatural East and the great and holy light which goes before the endless procession of humanity, coming out from the walled garden of the sensitive life and passing on the journey home. The card signifies, therefore, the transit from the manifest light of this world, represented by the glorious sun of earth, to the light of the world to come, which goes before aspiration and is typified by the heart of a child.

But the last allusion is again the key to a different form or aspect of the symbolism. The sun is that of consciousness in the spirit—the direct as the antithesis of the reflected light. The characteristic type of humanity has become a little child therein—a child in the sense of simplicity and innocence in the sense of wisdom. In that simplicity, he bears the seal of Nature and of Art; in that innocence, he signifies the restored world. When the self-knowing spirit [Sun] has dawned in the consciousness above the natural mind [Child], that mind in its renewal leads forth the animal nature [Horse] in a state of perfect conformity."​

In the first paragraph Waite says the sun represents the light of this world; but in the second paragraph he explains it in terms of spiritual consciousness. The key is in the last sentence of the second paragraph. The "self-knowing spirit" dawning above the natural mind is the sun rising above the child; the child is the natural mind in a renewed state of simplicity and innocence; and the horse is the animal nature following along in "perfect conformity."

I don't really see much of an expression on the horse's face, I see an animal that's in perfect harmony with its rider. :)

EvaSegovia

FLizarraga, I'm glad you brought up the male/female sun and moon. I know that the moon here belongs to the Hawaiian Goddess Hina, and she can be seen there pounding her Kapa (barkcloth). Since I'm more of the
"we're talking here about what we see with our own eyes." School, I'm afraid you lost me Abrac, but I appreciate you coming on board, and I know there are others who will benefit greatly. Eva

Nemia

In German, the Sun is a word with feminine article (die Sonne), and appears in many children's books as Frau Sonne (example, example, example).

The Moon, der Mond, is often shown by male images. If he's shown as female allegoric figure, then the Latin name is used (Frau Luna), because in Latin and the languages derived from Latin, Sol is masculine and Luna feminine.

In other Germanic languages, far as I know, it's the same, and that's why Tolkien, influenced by Germanic myth, Arien (the Maia of the Sun) is female and Tilion (the Maia of the Moon) is male.

So IMO it's an inspired choice to associate the Sun with a child.

EvaSegovia

The birth of the Christian 'Son' is celebrated every year at the time of the birth of the new 'Sun' (Winter Solstace). But you all probably know that...

Thoughtful

l have the New Vision tarot so the picture l have is the horses rump! What is a bit unnerving is the horses tail is slightly raised and to one side, which we horsey people know is manure coming :laugh:
What is funny is that the sun's face has that look of resigned "oh no don't you dare."

Sorry to be irrelevant could not resist })

Abrac

The Tarot of the New Vision is definitely creative. I like the colors and the artistic style.

New Vision Sun