Albano-Waite cardstock hue variation

RichardG

Popping Pink

I've just checked my Tarot Productions Albano-Waites.
Neither my 'NEW COLOR Deluxe' nor 'Accurate Color Tone' that include LWBs state on the back of the box "With Instructions".
Whereas both editions that came without LWBs do state "Does Not Include Instructions".
Oh dear - I can see a spin-off thread comparing the backs of boxes is on the way :eek:

But back to the color differences - I was immediately captured by the pink armour in Philippe's KnightoP. It's also in the throne of the QoP to a lesser degree. I'd never noticed the intensity of that pink before.
On checking my TP editions, only the New Color with instructions has that popping pink.

Yet again, I am disappointed with USG's facsimile - they could get black around the face of the KingoP but not his throne; and that the armour on the KnightoP is very close to the same brown as his horse.
Legend has it that Kaplan and Albano had a HUGE falling out. If I were more wicked, I could suggest that USG's very ordinary edition of Frankie's deck might be their way of having the last word... })

Thanks to Didactic for starting this thread - my TP Albano-Waites have been sitting neglected for far too long. It's been lovely to rediscover them. :)

Bronzino

Hi Bronzino. Thank you for your response and welcome to the forum!

That is so interesting re: hue variation. Out of interest, does yours have the same cards in the white and cream hues as mine do? I assumed that they were cut from two sheets because of the very particular way that the cards present themselves when ordered - but as you suggest perhaps they were made in separate piles and then collated... Infact, the University Books RWS often has duplicates and that would offer a good explanation into how that occurs!

Would you be able to post a comparison of the '87 Belgium printing and the Italian one? I'm very interested in the post-TP printings and I know others (such as Abrac) are also.

Thank you for the welcome, Didactic!

There is no rhyme or reason I can figure out concerning the varying hues on the back of my cards, unlike yours. It seems random.

I will attach comparison photos of the Belgium and Italy printings as soon as I figure out how! Do I need a flickr or photobucket link? How do I do it? (Apologies, as I'm not tech savvy!)

Philippe

RichardG is perfectly right, mine is the New color with instructions (but no copyright next to Albano-Waite, contrary to yours didactic) :

alban_0004 by PhilBeDaN, sur Flickr

alban_0005 by PhilBeDaN, sur Flickr

I've made several scans of the cards selected by didactic to emphasise the differences with the fuzzy belgian reprint :

alban_0001 by PhilBeDaN, sur Flickr

alban_0002 by PhilBeDaN, sur Flickr

alban_0003 by PhilBeDaN, sur Flickr

You can click on a pic and then on the zoom to see it enlarged

Bronzino

You can add a photobucket/ flickr link or click post reply then scroll down a bit to 'addtional options' and then 'attach files' and 'manage attachments'. Attatching them here does significantly compress the file though![/QUOTE]

Thank you, Didactic!

Belgium (1991) on the left, Italy on the right. The printed in Italy cards are a bit muzzier and darker in coloration than the Belgium deck. There seems to be an overall smokiness to them. This is most apparent in the Ace of Cups and the Queen of Pentacles. Note the bizarre pixelated "scratch" in the upper right corner of the King of Pentacles. Shame.

The Italy deck is HEAVILY laminated to the point of feeling like plastic. Also, they are very shiny and reflective. Lastly, the deck does smell like chemicals; however, it is rather nostalgic for me. Smells like a freshly unwrapped record album from my youth!

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/Bronzino0/library/

amandasargeant

D, the answer is simple.
You need another Albano.
Everyone needs another Albano.
The rule is simple.
You cannot have enough Albanos.
Not those wretched, out-of-focus USG plastic facsimile things though.
Only the real thing. Only the '68 Tarot Production Albano-Waites.
Mmmm. Yes. '68 Albanos.... :smoker:
RichardG, do you think you could help me figure out which edition I have? I have found mixed things online however I have had a few people tell me it's one of the 1968 prints via tarot productions in CA (not ankh backing). I have pictures not scans. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

gregory

Does any Albano-Waite have ankh backs ?

Rodney can identify rather well. I do know one of the 1968 Tarot Productions ones has instructions - mine does and so does yours - and one doesn't.

The US Games one was done a LOT later. Yours is a 1968.

amandasargeant

Does any Albano-Waite have ankh backs ?

Rodney can identify rather well. I do know one of the 1968 Tarot Productions ones has instructions - mine does and so does yours - and one doesn't.

The US Games one was done a LOT later. Yours is a 1968.
One of the very early productions has a pink ankh on the back before it was the sun. At least thats what i read on one of the RWS albano heritage websites. Thanks!

RichardG

I don't think ANY of the Albano's has a pink ankh...

Hi Amanda. I've just checked all my Albanos for an ankh.
Neither the large, standard sizes or minis have a pink ankh.
I think the person on the albano heritage website you mentioned was thinking of University Books Inc (similarly psychedelic) coloring of the RWS deck, but I am happy to be proved wrong!
Please the see attached pic.
R.

Attachments

• pink ankh.jpeg
    pink ankh.jpeg
    18.6 KB · Views: 304

amandasargeant

Hi Amanda. I've just checked all my Albanos for an ankh.
Neither the large, standard sizes or minis have a pink ankh.
I think the person on the albano heritage website you mentioned was thinking of University Books Inc (similarly psychedelic) coloring of the RWS deck, but I am happy to be proved wrong!
Please the see attached pic.
R.
R, You are correct, I was wrong. I just read your message. Did you see my pictures higher up in this forum? Thanks!