There's a man carrying a spear!

smw

That thought crossed my mind too, but I don't see any oil lanterns that he would be charged with lighting.

I was thinking of torches for inside lighting which apparently could have been an earlier form before oil lamps were suspended with iron rings from the ceilings and walls. ( the torch thing seems controversial though).

The stick part does seem rather long, so that would make sense for being able to reach up and light oil lamps. just wondering if so, it might suggest preparing for the oncoming night in contrast to the garden day scene at the front of the card.

Barleywine

I was thinking of torches for inside lighting which apparently could have been an earlier form before oil lamps were suspended with iron rings from the ceilings and walls. ( the torch thing seems controversial though).

The stick part does seem rather long, so that would make sense for being able to reach up and light oil lamps. just wondering if so, it might suggest preparing for the oncoming night in contrast to the garden day scene at the front of the card.

I like the "preparing for the coming night" idea, since all of the Sixes are about a transient state of balance that must inevitably pass away. My understanding is that torches for lighting outdoor lamps were in fact quite long, which would fit with this image.

Barleywine

I've got five years of experience with the RWS now, and these still pop up on an ad-hoc basis when I read. I had the 5 of Cups show up as the bitter-sweet outcome (some things lost, some salvaged) for a woman trying to move on after a divorce. I was talking about the significance of moving water in the tarot, and only noticed at the last minute that there is a bridge (that resembles one of the hills) over the stream at the right side. She related really well to the idea that this could be her "bridge over troubled waters" that - by taking with her what remains of her emotional contentment as the "seed" for a new start - can lead to the happy stability of the 6 of Cups.

Abrac

It certainly looks like it could be an unlit torch; and it fits into how I interpret the symbolism. The man is going about his hum-drum responsibilities (lighting of lanterns, etc.) and daydreaming about a childhood experience. "A card of the past and of memories, looking back, as—for example—on childhood;" And since the children are behind him, he is indeed "looking back." :)

Starshower

EmpyreanKnight - WOW! I really LOVE your wonderful explanation & description of how you see this card, and your understanding of emotions (which mirrors my own, but expressed much better!) Many thanks for articulating so beautifully the concept of cherishing happy memories as an inner sanctuary of rest and temporary solace & regeneration - watched over safely by a trusted guard / guardian (the man with the 'spear'.)
You express beautifully just how I feel about this card and life in general. Thank you so much! :)

EmpyreanKnight

Wow, that's just so heartwarming. Thanks, Starshower. :)

earthshine

The Radiant RW makes it to look like a spear.

Ace

I have always connected the man with the person in the 8 of cups who is holding a staff. I see it as a person leaving behind childish pursuits and moving on to better things. We then see him in the 8 of cups, ascending the mountains of enlightenment. Again, leaving behind what he can't finish--the stack of cups.

barb

danieljuk

I've never noticed what he is holding before. I've always thought the tower and surrounding buildings around the kids and the guy were protective in the card. We feel safer when we let our kids play in a place that is secured from danger, this is our comfort zone, a safe area from the outside world. Often nostalgia is a comfort zone for us :)