Darkness of the Three Pentacles

Disa

Hmm. I didn't realize that was a cup in his right hand. I thought it was a tool he was using sort of like a hammer to pound into that other thing he's holding in his left hand.

I always thought of this craftsman as very skilled and perhaps knowing more than the other two people about this job.

I was thinking about the pentacles and the fact they aren't colored gold like the other pentacles on the other cards. Is it possible the pentacles are not golden as he is not willing to compromise the value of his excellent craftsmanship for money? In other words, maybe what the other two people are trying to discuss with him is something relating to cutting costs but would cause him to sacrifice quality as a result. Perhaps he values the quality of his work more than he values money?

Peredur

Three of Pentacles

The craftsman on the left is, in all likelyhood, a stonemason. He is wearing a leather apron to protect his clothing. His working tools are a setting maul and chisel. These items are symbols used in Freemasonry. The individual on the right seems to be the Master to whom he is apprenticed or the one in charge of the project.
Bob

Disa

Thank you for the explanation of the tools, Bob. What do you make of the darkened pentacles?

Perhaps he's doing charity work for the Church and no money is expected?

lucifall

Darkness and 3.Binah

As Mr Waite writes in the PKT: A sculptor at his work in a Monastry.

According to the Free online dictionary a Monastry is:
A Community of persons, especially monks,bound by vows of religious life and often living in partial or complete seclusion.

What we see here in contradiction is a more social community: The Worker (Working Class), The Monk(Mediator Above-Below) and The Architect ("Plan-Maker") Three Classes. 3 on this card is significant: 3 People,3 different people of society, 3 Pentacles, 3 Archways.
The 3 seem to work together for 1 final goal.

Is it possible we see here an example of contradiction of the Trias Politica of Montesquie(Renaissance), the devination between the 3 Powers of Society, and here the 3 Parts of society are "looking", and "talking" in order to meet the same ONE goal in the end?

Is the goal Masonic?
Mary mentions in The Cup on Pentacles 3, the "cup" is a mason tool, a mallet, a common round-headed implement used for carving in stone.
The Architect is holding a Blue Print which we can connect with the trestle board of the FreeMasons.

Looking and talking brings us to AYIN(Eye, To see, Capricorn, The Devil XV) and to Peh(Mouth, To speak, Mars, The Tower XVI)
According to the GD correspondences Pentacles 3 is connected with Mars in Capricorn!
The Darkness, and Grey,even the pentacles are Grey here, is the colour of Capricorn. The Red of the Architect is the colour of Mars.

from Hebrew4christians.com:
"AYIN gives insight, but it is PEH that gives insight expression"

The Arches are in the model of the Vesica Pisces, a symbol of the devine feminine, which connects this Card with BINAH(=3), the great Mother AIMA who creates, the DARKNESS of the Womb.

Meditation from my notebook:
3, We See
In 1 Arch is 1 Person*
In the Other are 2 persons
In the Biggest Arch are ALL 3
2 comes from 1,
3 comes from the union of the dualism of 2.
It is the result of 2.
Here we see 3 working on ONE creation.
1 working in one Womb,
2 working in the second womb
and all Three working in ONE womb
for ONE goal

Count On, and Count On,
and find the ONE goal:
"ALL IS ONE"

(*a bench is penatrating the "womb")

Lucifall

earthshine

So it's a grey cup?!?!? Or not?

I've been wondering what that is the apprentice on the bench is holding in his right hand. So it's a grey cup, huh? Probably made of pewter?

After googling, I must agree it's a settling maul.

Why is the Architect dressed so?

Barleywine

What the picture seems to be showing is the pointed arches that separate the nave from the arcades on either side in a Gothic cathedral (or it could be a cloister, crypt or dungeon as shown in the second picture). The darkness is probably just an artistic convenience to set off the figures, unless it is the gloom of a crypt. The thing in the craftsman's hand is a traditional wooden stonemason's mallet. See the attached pictures.

Attachments

• xgothic_castles_malbork_vaulting.jpg.pagespeed.ic.7ZSxQSWoBs.jpg
    xgothic_castles_malbork_vaulting.jpg.pagespeed.ic.7ZSxQSWoBs.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 243
  • xchillon_castle_dungeons.jpg.pagespeed.ic.msElPVfBqe.jpg
    xchillon_castle_dungeons.jpg.pagespeed.ic.msElPVfBqe.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 241
  • stonemason's mallet.jpg
    stonemason's mallet.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 233

earthshine

Thank you, Barleywine! And those are gorgeous pictures. The tool being a mallet makes complete sense to me now.