Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Tarot for Ancestor Work

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Talking Tarot


 
Chrystella  Chrystella is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 06 Aug 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 430
Chrystella 
Citizen
Tarot for Ancestor Work


Since New Year's Day, I've been doing a single-card daily draw. These have been for insights around day to day issues.

Now that we're approaching Samhain here in the Southern Hemisphere and I bought Seven's gorgeous Samhain Deck of the Bastard, I'd like to focus my daily draws on ancestor work. I've never used tarot for this before and was wondering if anyone here has and could offer some insight.

I think the challenge is how to keep it simple and still keep it meaningful. Here's what I was thinking of doing:

Day 1: Draw from the major arcana only, a card to represent the ancestor.
Day 2: Tell me about a memorable day in your life.
Day 3: How do you affect or influence me?
Day 4: What is your message for me?
Day 5: How can I honour you?

And repeat through Samhain. I could end up getting to know five or six ancestors.

What do you think?
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #1
Alta's Avatar
Alta  Alta is offline
Golden Silvery Dionna
 
Join Date: 06 Aug 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 27,056
Alta 
Golden Silvery Dionna

Alta's Avatar

I have never heard of this idea before and think it is fascinating. By coincidence, must have a been a dream, when I woke up this morning my brain started to focus on all the people who had contributed to my DNA helping to shape the person that I am.

I am not sure if it is true, because goodness knows the material you read on the internet, but 'they' say that life experiences or possibly traumas anyway, are heritable.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #2
Chrystella  Chrystella is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 06 Aug 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 430
Chrystella 
Citizen

I have friends undergoing a program called Faery Seership, which involves a collection of lore and techniques influenced by the Celtic and pre-Celtic tribes of Europe. Ancestral work is a big part of it. They use a concept called the River of Blood. The basic idea is that we carry not only all the good stuff, but also the pains, fears, and unresolved issues of our ancestors. In healing them, we heal and strengthen ourselves. There's a beautiful visualisation involving reaching down into the river, clasping the hand of your ancestor, and raising them up and into your boat. You clean the blood off them and comb the tangles out of their hair. I think it's a lovely and powerful metaphor.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #3
Barleywine's Avatar
Barleywine  Barleywine is offline
Elder Jabberwock
 
Join Date: 10 Jun 2011
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 9,055
Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine's Avatar

This idea has me thinking it might be a good use for my Shining Tribe tarot with its deep "ancestral" quality. I've pretty much sidelined it because it's so far removed from the "European" model, but this could give it new life. Thanks!
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #4
Madrigal's Avatar
Madrigal  Madrigal is offline
~ borderless ~
 
Join Date: 28 Apr 2014
Location: zentangling
Posts: 1,784
Madrigal 
~ borderless ~

Madrigal's Avatar

Divining the Ancestral Tree might be of interest to you. She provides a whole reading based on ancestors and their effect in our lives and how to work with that. She also includes a casting template you can print up. She uses charms but you could easily use cards instead. In fact I think she's got instructions on how to do that in place of charms.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #5
celticnoodle's Avatar
celticnoodle  celticnoodle is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 17 Aug 2006
Location: across from spook hill
Posts: 29,152
celticnoodle 
Citizen

celticnoodle's Avatar

Chrystella, I think that is a fantastic and interesting thing to focus on. I also love the questions you have formed for this adventure.

I love doing things that will bring me closer to my ancestors. I'm big in keeping their memories alive in my own world and work with them a lot. I've been blessed in meeting them through my medium ship work as well and calling on them for support and guidance.

I think your exercise you have created will be a huge blessing for you and I cannot wait to read of your experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta View Post
I have never heard of this idea before and think it is fascinating. By coincidence, must have a been a dream, when I woke up this morning my brain started to focus on all the people who had contributed to my DNA helping to shape the person that I am.

I am not sure if it is true, because goodness knows the material you read on the internet, but 'they' say that life experiences or possibly traumas anyway, are heritable.
yes, I do believe we inherit the life experiences from our ancestors. For instance, just look at the inherited disorders for one, including drug and alcohol abuse, but also cancers and other disorders. I believe also our fears of certain issues--(fear of heights, fear of falling, etc.) can be inherited too, though some people would say those are more learned fears. Other traits, such as being musically inclined, etc. are obviously inherited as well--so why limit ourselves to thinking only 'certain' things can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrystella View Post
I have friends undergoing a program called Faery Seership, which involves a collection of lore and techniques influenced by the Celtic and pre-Celtic tribes of Europe. Ancestral work is a big part of it. They use a concept called the River of Blood. The basic idea is that we carry not only all the good stuff, but also the pains, fears, and unresolved issues of our ancestors. In healing them, we heal and strengthen ourselves. There's a beautiful visualisation involving reaching down into the river, clasping the hand of your ancestor, and raising them up and into your boat. You clean the blood off them and comb the tangles out of their hair. I think it's a lovely and powerful metaphor.
Oh wow! another very interesting exercise/(program)! How wonderful for your friends! I like this too and will have to do more exploring on this program. It sounds very interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywine View Post
This idea has me thinking it might be a good use for my Shining Tribe tarot with its deep "ancestral" quality. I've pretty much sidelined it because it's so far removed from the "European" model, but this could give it new life. Thanks!
Oh yes--I like that deck. I don't own it, but I love the simplicity of it. If you adopt Crystella's idea and use it for the same reason, I hope you will also share your experiences.

Good luck to you and anyone else who will be doing this. Such a fascinating idea! I can't wait to read of your experiences. I will find myself also going through my tarot cards to see if I can find a deck that will resonate with me in this same quest.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #6
Chrystella  Chrystella is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 06 Aug 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 430
Chrystella 
Citizen

Thanks, everyone. Please keep me updated if you do any ancestor work with tarot. I'm keen to learn more.

Madrigal, thanks for that resource. It's a beautiful website and I love those templates she creates.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #7
Barleywine's Avatar
Barleywine  Barleywine is offline
Elder Jabberwock
 
Join Date: 10 Jun 2011
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 9,055
Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrystella View Post
Since New Year's Day, I've been doing a single-card daily draw. These have been for insights around day to day issues.

Now that we're approaching Samhain here in the Southern Hemisphere and I bought Seven's gorgeous Samhain Deck of the Bastard, I'd like to focus my daily draws on ancestor work. I've never used tarot for this before and was wondering if anyone here has and could offer some insight.

I think the challenge is how to keep it simple and still keep it meaningful. Here's what I was thinking of doing:

Day 1: Draw from the major arcana only, a card to represent the ancestor.
Day 2: Tell me about a memorable day in your life.
Day 3: How do you affect or influence me?
Day 4: What is your message for me?
Day 5: How can I honour you?

And repeat through Samhain. I could end up getting to know five or six ancestors.

What do you think?
I started this today, using my Shining Tribe tarot as I mentioned earlier. I drew the Hermit from the majors, and the first thing I noticed was that it shows an astral doorway on the card, a perfect representation of how an ancestral contact might be pursued. I meditated on the card and felt a formless spiritual presence behind it that seems to want to tell me something. It's only just a glimmer of awareness right now, but I plan to work with it to see what develops. I won't start the questions until I feel that I know its intentions.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #8
celticnoodle's Avatar
celticnoodle  celticnoodle is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 17 Aug 2006
Location: across from spook hill
Posts: 29,152
celticnoodle 
Citizen

celticnoodle's Avatar

interesting, barleywine. please do continue to update us with your progress.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #9
Tanga's Avatar
Tanga  Tanga is offline
Aspiring Mystical Crone
 
Join Date: 11 Nov 2014
Location: Heart of Londinium (London, UK)
Posts: 2,504
Tanga 
Aspiring Mystical Crone

Tanga's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywine View Post
I started this today, using my Shining Tribe tarot as I mentioned earlier. I drew the Hermit from the majors, and the first thing I noticed was that it shows an astral doorway on the card, a perfect representation of how an ancestral contact might be pursued.
Sounds good.

Ancestor work is something I've always been curious about and wondered how to do.
So - I'm taking this spread away. Right now it's Spring and Ostara here, and I'm not quite ready to speak with my ancestors. Not yet anyway.
I will report back when I come around to using this spread - thanks Chrystella.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #10
 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.