Do you keep your Tarot doing a secret?

page of wands

Why?

Are there certain people you can talk to about, but some you can't?

I do. If my parents knew they would take away my cards. My dad said they aren't allowed in his house.

Barleywine

During the years that I worked in an industry with national security vulnerability, I kept a "zero exposure" profile. With my fingerprints already on file at the FBI, I didn't need "fortune-teller" added to me dossier. Now that I'm retired I've been opening up some (although my conservative neighbors don't know), and since the woman whose shop I read at is actively advertising my services, I'm bound to get noticed sooner or later. But the company I worked for shut down and anyone there who might have had an interest has moved away. It would be kind of fun to have one of them (or more likely one of their wives) show up for a reading now.

gregory

No. If people don't like me as I am they can - not like me :)

But a parent has, I suppose, the right to set rules in their own house. I don't know how old you are, but as he says - it is HIS house. So in your place I would keep my mouth shut. :D

Alta

I keep a low profile. My family knows but it never gets discussed. Some friends know, some don't.

Mythtaken

Secret? Not really, but then again, I don't volunteer it. What's that saying, you're only as sick as your darkest secret? I'm thinking this isn't a secret worth hiding. (FWIW, I'm all grown up and make my own purchasing decisions.)

People have seen the copy of Tarot for Writers I have, just sitting out on the table, and they don't seem to have any trouble accepting the idea of using the cards as an inspiration for creative purposes, but I don't really discuss the hobby/deck collecting aspect of it.

Bringing up the subject of meditation/self discovery with most people I know is enough to make their eyes glaze over with polite boredom, so it's not something I chat about.

It's also true that I don't discuss my other hobbies much either.

Grizabella

I don't mind who knows I use the cards now but for quite a lot of years, I was very careful who knew about it. I have great empathy and understanding for those who are still in that boat. Two of my children (I'm a great-grandmother) are okay with it and they use the cards, too, but my two sons weren't thrilled. The oldest is pretty religious so he doesn't like that I do it, and my younger son doesn't openly state any opinion either way but he's got so much to deal with right now that my telling fortunes just doesn't enter his mind.

Like gregory said, it's your father's house so no matter how old you are, you should respect his rules. I'm sure you understand that as well without our mentioning it, though. :) But maybe you can keep your deck in your backpack or some other personal place that he wouldn't run across it and then just don't use the cards while you're actually at home.

Do you have a phone app for Tarot? I've never tried one but lots of other members here use them a lot and say they're as good as an actual deck.

I've considered this forum my Tarot support for the most part for many years now. I've made lasting friendships here and it's a wonderful source of information and moral support. Especially for those who feel isolated from any positive support from friends or family for their card use.

Laura Borealis

I used to with some family, and at work. Particularly at my mom's house, for the same reason - she said I couldn't have a tarot deck under her roof. A few years ago one of my sisters accidentally outed me by dropping a tarot book in my lap in front of my mom. It was a book I wanted, so I was happy, but I did have some explaining to do. Turned out my mom had mellowed out a lot in the intervening years. :thumbsup:

page of wands

No. If people don't like me as I am they can - not like me :)

But a parent has, I suppose, the right to set rules in their own house. I don't know how old you are, but as he says - it is HIS house. So in your place I would keep my mouth shut. :D

hehehe as what i am doing.

page of wands

I used to with some family, and at work. Particularly at my mom's house, for the same reason - she said I couldn't have a tarot deck under her roof. A few years ago one of my sisters accidentally outed me by dropping a tarot book in my lap in front of my mom. It was a book I wanted, so I was happy, but I did have some explaining to do. Turned out my mom had mellowed out a lot in the intervening years. :thumbsup:

i am worried because i have several tarot books coming in the mail. i hope he doesn't ask what the package is or what book it is.

page of wands

I don't mind who knows I use the cards now but for quite a lot of years, I was very careful who knew about it. I have great empathy and understanding for those who are still in that boat. Two of my children (I'm a great-grandmother) are okay with it and they use the cards, too, but my two sons weren't thrilled. The oldest is pretty religious so he doesn't like that I do it, and my younger son doesn't openly state any opinion either way but he's got so much to deal with right now that my telling fortunes just doesn't enter his mind.

Like gregory said, it's your father's house so no matter how old you are, you should respect his rules. I'm sure you understand that as well without our mentioning it, though. :) But maybe you can keep your deck in your backpack or some other personal place that he wouldn't run across it and then just don't use the cards while you're actually at home.

Do you have a phone app for Tarot? I've never tried one but lots of other members here use them a lot and say they're as good as an actual deck.

I've considered this forum my Tarot support for the most part for many years now. I've made lasting friendships here and it's a wonderful source of information and moral support. Especially for those who feel isolated from any positive support from friends or family for their card use.

that's why i posted here to see if others have had similar experience to me. it really helps to belong to this forum, as i know no one who does tarot. i have tried phone apps and online, but they don't work for me.