Connecting to Thoth deck

Lilianne

There is an extremely good explanation of the Courts in Liber Θ.

Thank you sincerely for that. I'm drawing up a zodiacal wheel to place these cards properly with regards to element attributions and such. I fear that it's me that's the problem, not the cards!

Edit - some sound procedures for meditation therein.

Richard

I believe in organizing things in charts and diagrams. Here's something I cooked up last year, mostly to clarify things for my own understanding.

Attachments

• 20140329.jpg
    20140329.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,165

Zephyros

What do the numbers mean?

Richard

What do the numbers mean?
They are the numbers of the Trumps which correlate to the zodiacal signs. 8 ~ Adjustment ~ Libra, etc. I.e., they are the Simple Letter Trumps. Thanks for the clarification.

Lilianne

I believe in organizing things in charts and diagrams. Here's something I cooked up last year, mostly to clarify things for my own understanding.

Thank you for showing me. I'm in the process of drawing up the same thing - initially for the court cards, hoping that doing will seal the meanings in my mind. The meditation directives also reveal much. I am indebted!

vinLove

Lon Milo book "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot:" has arrived today from US book seller. It took 2 weeks, but looks worth the wait.

For any one who read this book already, how did you find it?

Zephyros

Lon Milo book "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot:" has arrive today from US book seller. It took 2 weeks, but looks worth the wait.

I think it's the best introductory text available, and I am indebted to it for "bringing me into the fold," so to speak. It gives general background on the deck, its philosophy and structure. It also, very importantly, gives an introduction about the rudiments of Qabalah. I still refer to it now and then, especially as there are sections in it that I have never seen duplicated elsewhere (like the important chapter on the Rosy Cross).

Go through it slowly, though. Although the material is presented in a deceptively fun and approachable way, it is far from easy. It took me about six months of study just to get a handle on knowing what I didn't know, and branch out from it. The deck only really began to make sense to me at all after working with another DuQuette book, Chicken Qabalah, but if you're just starting out on Understanding it should keep you busy for a while.

I recommend you download Crowley's Book of Thoth. It's free and serves as an important point of reference.

vinLove

Glad to know that now I have right book for the subject. Thank you for your info and advice. Much appreciated.

I think it's the best introductory text available, and I am indebted to it for "bringing me into the fold," so to speak. It gives general background on the deck, its philosophy and structure. It also, very importantly, gives an introduction about the rudiments of Qabalah. I still refer to it now and then, especially as there are sections in it that I have never seen duplicated elsewhere (like the important chapter on the Rosy Cross).

Go through it slowly, though. Although the material is presented in a deceptively fun and approachable way, it is far from easy. It took me about six months of study just to get a handle on knowing what I didn't know, and branch out from it. The deck only really began to make sense to me at all after working with another DuQuette book, Chicken Qabalah, but if you're just starting out on Understanding it should keep you busy for a while.

I recommend you download Crowley's Book of Thoth. It's free and serves as an important point of reference.

Quotidianlight

Lon Milo book "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot:" has arrived today from US book seller. It took 2 weeks, but looks worth the wait.

I've been reading this thread as well and wanted to thank you for the reference. I also wanted to say that adding youtube talks on the Thoth deck to my study routine is really helping. A couple days ago I found several you tubers that go pretty in-depth and it helped make sense of what I was reading. Honestly, i feel it will take me years to get even a working understanding of all the more detailed symbolism in these cards but it's part of the reason I love them. These cards give me a case of the happies.

Barleywine

This and the "pips" chart were very useful to me in setting up my "planetary humours" and "planetary dignities/debilities" tables for the Thoth. Thanks!