Is it wrong to double check with another deck?

LindaMechele

Well the worrier came out and so did the Tarot Illuminati and it gave a very positive reading almost stressing that I have what I need and should have more confidence in my capabilities.
A thought popped into my head: was the Illuminati talking about your original question or that you worried about your reading skills to the point that you got a second opinion? (Totally rhetorical. No need to really answer me here.)

Is this lack of confidence, or is it simply common human nature looking at something from another direction, or even just common sense using all the tools at hand?
All three I think. It seems to be human nature to have a lack of confidence sometimes. But if you know yourself well enough to know the difference between that lack of confidence and just being overwhelmed to the point you *can't* see what's in front of you, using another deck on the same question can be practical. It can help you see what you *need* to see, and may actually help you avoid seeing only what you want to.

In the past, when I would find myself tempted to ask the same question *again* after consulting a second deck, I tried to figure out why. For me, it was because I didn't trust that I'd gleaned everything from that one reading and was afraid that after I put the cards up I would have forever and ever missed it, never again having the chance to get that message. So now I take a picture of each and every reading, writing down my interpretation and any thoughts and feelings around it, like a diary (The Evernote phone app is GREAT for this!). Recording it helps me relax about it, knowing I can come back later and find that missed information.

Since I've started doing that, the feeling of wanting "still another opinion" has gone away. It's helped my confidence in my readings, too, since I can now look back and see that most often, the cards were right.

HallowedNight

I generally don't ask a second deck after I've already asked before, but if I'm asking several questions in a row, like a series of questions related to the same thing, I might switch decks part way though (and probably start the questions over again) if I feel like the original deck wasn't the right deck for the job. I usually have a pretty good idea which decks work best for certain types of questions, but I'm wrong almost as often as I'm right. :^P

So, I guess it's not "wrong" to ask another deck; it's all a matter of preference. And certain decks are better for certain things. c:

The Happy Squirrel

I used several decks when I just started. It helped me 'scan' for a pattern and that helped me learn. So perhaps it depends on the style of your thought processes. As we gain more confidence not only in our own ability to read, but also in the state of things around our situation, in our own state of being, I found that you probably would instinctively narrow 'field of scanning' down. Less decks if you initially used several, or only the one deck if you initially use two :) Nothing wrong with being human :)

The Happy Squirrel

Oh and to echo the other posters, once I am finally confident with just the one tarot deck, I compliment my reading with other types of system such as Lenormand to zoom in and general 'oracle' decks to zoom out :) So like the other poster said, it is like having advise from a group of friends instead of just the one :) who present you with different angles and perspectives :)

LindaMechele

Oh and to echo the other posters, once I am finally confident with just the one tarot deck, I compliment my reading with other types of system such as Lenormand to zoom in and general 'oracle' decks to zoom out :) So like the other poster said, it is like having advise from a group of friends instead of just the one :) who present you with different angles and perspectives :)
I like the way you put that, Squirrel. I like that a lot.

Achlys

I will ask the same question to multiple decks not so much because I don't trust the tarot, but more so because different decks will often give me different perspectives on a situation. I feel like some decks "go easier" on the querent than others and some decide to answer from one POV or part of a situation while another deck will answer on another part of the situation, even if both decks are asked an identical question.
It depends.

nord_drache

Thanks everyone for your input everyone. LindaMechele as for the second asking the results did not seem to directly refer to my doubt as it was heavy in the pentacles and as an artisan those cards pointed directly at the original question. If there is a question in regards to a reading needed re-examination I do write down each to be able to return to.

I will ask the same question to multiple decks not so much because I don't trust the tarot, but more so because different decks will often give me different perspectives on a situation. I feel like some decks "go easier" on the querent than others and some decide to answer from one POV or part of a situation while another deck will answer on another part of the situation, even if both decks are asked an identical question.
It depends.

This is probably why I chose to do the reading a second time, as I find the Tarot Illuminati to be a much "brighter" deck with no reversals and meanings phrased differently.
This is very different from my go to deck - Alchemy 1977 England Tarot - with its direct and at times unvarnished input.

One thing that I am very cognisant of is the potential to fall into the trap of repeating the reading until I get results I like. If this should ever occur then I will have to walk away from them for a while . . . but until that time comes.
Jim

Philistine

To echo Happy Squirrel, I find it helpful to scan each deck's answer for patterns, which in turn develops my understanding. I find I like to go to multiple decks if it's a type of question I don't normally ask and the answers aren't jumping out at me.

I wouldn't do this for a querent. Only for myself. I guess I find it more helpful for contemplation and study.

jillkite

if I don't accept the first answer I'm given then I'm showing a lack of trust and a lack of respect for Tarot.

i agree with this. i would ask other questions to get reassurance/clarification, from another, or the same, deck.

Padma

myself I will ask the same question of a few different decks - but never twice with the system I am using. So, I will ask the tarot once; and then the Lenormand; then the I Ching, if I have any doubt left. And so on. So, never with the same system - and really after three tries, one should have the answer, plus different POV's, as I believe Achlys mentioned.

Different systems have different things to say, imo. But yeah - I would not ask the tarot system the question more than once, or else, I would give a week or two between the askings. At least!