Pagan tarot - uusi

Le Fanu

This is such a strong and powerful deck.

It has taken me a while to quietly wallow in its depths but I don't think I've seen a reading deck quite like it.

So suggestive and minimal (but not empty) - it sort of echoes familiar meanings but lets you fill the spaces with your intuition. And so wintry and shamanic. You know the way the mind wanders when you look at vast expanses of landscape and the mind feels freer somehow? The imagery in this deck does that for me. If you have ever lived and woken up every day with vast expanse surrounding you - mountains, sea, urban skyscapes seen from on high - you know that the mind works better than when pressed up against walls. This deck evokes such a feeling in me and and I feel that it allows me to read unfettered.

Funny, the best decks often leave me a bit disappointed when I first unwrap them and it takes time for them to unfold their uniqueness. This is once such deck. I liked it but had to put it down and leave it for a while, forget the hype and try and see it afresh.

It really is quite extraordinary. I'm going to take it out with me this weekend - I have a reading to do for a friend's birthday (so far I've only used it for myself) - so I'm going to give it a spin. I'm curious to see how it reads for others.

martykens

I received a shipping notice for my companion book early this morning :)
Has anyone else received their book or shipping info yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

decan

Oh great! Probably I am going to receive mine soon!

theEnigma

No book shipping info yet:-/ understandable.

Three months later and still no stand or box.... but they are available via their website.... curious.

baconwaffles

This has got me a little worried about their new campaign which I backed...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Philistine

I cross posted this on the Eros thread, but anyhow . . . I got a notice Tuesday and the book arrived yesterday.

I like it, but don't love. So far from the cards I've read through, they are presented in a sort of "daily affirmations" writing style and concluded with three sensible keywords, with no great reveals that one wouldn't already know from RWS.

I'm going to chew on it for a couple re-reads, but for now I think the book is not what I would classify as indispensable to the deck.

gregory

I cross posted this on the Eros thread, but anyhow . . . I got a notice Tuesday and the book arrived yesterday.

I like it, but don't love. So far from the cards I've read through, they are presented in a sort of "daily affirmations" writing style and concluded with three sensible keywords, with no great reveals that one wouldn't already know from RWS.

I'm going to chew on it for a couple re-reads, but for now I think the book is not what I would classify as indispensable to the deck.
Oh good, because I wasn't going to buy it anyway :)

martykens

I too received my companion book yesterday and I agree with you Philistine, that the book (however lovely) isn't essential.
However, I did find the supplemental meanings for the Seeker & Moon phase cards interesting. Additionally, I'm glad to have extra clarification on the 9 of Swords which differs in imagery and meaning from the RWS.
Overall I'm glad to own this volume to provide additional insight, but don't consider it necessary.

Philistine

Martykens, yes, that is one thing I do like is the Seeker and moon phase passages, although there again, I had already intuited a lot of what is said about these cards. I would have really liked some insight on *how* to use the moon cards, as their "mechanic" for imparting meaning seems distinct from a tarot image.

As you point out the Nine of Swords, I would also point out the Five of Cups, where Hamlet's "To be, or not to be" monologue is quoted; this gave me an aha! moment about the skull on the ground, so now that skull doesn't seem so random (ooh, tarot is spooky, throw in a skull!) anymore.

There are several little breadcrumbs like that mentioned above. So, if you love this deck, the book will give you a little sumpin' extra, but, yeah, Gregory, I think you're fine without. ;)