Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

Morwenna

Help! I need emergency de-enabling on two fabulous Malpertius decks.

I linked to the Retroracle from the What's New page, and love it, the design and the fact that it's a Lenormand expanded to a full 52 card deck plus jokers. And the titles are in Polish. Don't know why I like that, I know nothing of Polish or Poland . . .

And while there I encountered the Silson Lenormand. Love the faux medieval style. And the titles are in Latin. Which I do know a little of and like.

Why do not I need these?

I don't need to learn a unique oracle system when there are other, more traditional systems I haven't learned yet.

I'm not even using Lenormands much these days.

I already have Edmund's Lenormand de Marseille, in three versions, which I also love.

Shipping costs across the pond are kind of high.

Can you come up with any other cons? Ok, ok, you twisted my arm, I'll take pros, too!

Of course you need the Silson. If you're even half the medieval buff that I am, you really need the Silson. In fact I have it on order myself. :) I want them to do a Silson Tarot now!!!

athenafletcher

Last time I looked the deck was not available.

Really?! The creator's website still has the PayPal "Buy Now" button. And Tarot Garden says it has stock too. I actually get all the way till checkout. Unless I misunderstood??

Michellehihi

Really?! The creator's website still has the PayPal "Buy Now" button. And Tarot Garden says it has stock too. I actually get all the way till checkout. Unless I misunderstood??

buy it immediately if you can find it!

Lee

Help! I need emergency de-enabling on two fabulous Malpertius decks.
Hi there rachelcat! :)

I have the Malpertuis Lenormand. No question it's a beautiful art deck. When I got it, I used it for a few weeks, then lost interest in it as a reading deck.

I find the scans of his decks, particularly the Retroracle, to be powerfully appealing, but I probably won't get them because I feel like I only really want to buy decks nowadays if I'm going to actually use them.

So that might be a reason not to buy -- ask yourself if you can see yourself reading with them. And perhaps they would work for you as reading decks -- they (or at least the Malpertuis Lenormand) didn't for me. The Tyldwick Tarot, for example, looks beautiful in scans but I know I wouldn't read with it, so it was an easy decision not to get it.

rachelcat

Retroracle and Silson

Thanks, guys! (I think . . .) Very good enabling and de-enabling from all!

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't read with the Silson, so I definitely should consider that. But it is cool. Super cool.

And the whole new system thing for the Retroracle is starting to look like a pro instead of a con.

And so glad I drive-by enabled! That's one of my favorite things about AT!

Oh dear . . . I'll let you know what I decide!

AnemoneRosie

Sun and Moon Tarot

Anyone have this? How do you feel about it?

I much prefer the Thoth-based decks to the RWS-based decks; I'm not sure how I feel about the art.

Nemia

I don't have the Silson but it's on my list. Lenormand - on the one hand, all you need is ONE deck, actually you can make your own just by writing Key, Paths, Birds on blanco cards... so why buy more than one plain and simple deck?

On the other hand, since Lenormand decks read so easily, you can actually read with ANY deck. If you have the Silson, you would really USE it, because the only thing that disturbs the flow of reading Lenormand is an abundance of superfluous details. The Silson IMO doesn't have those. If you buy it, chances are you use it - as opposed to the beautiful Tyldwick: I understand there are many who love the concept and the art but find it unreadable.

So what's not to like about the Silson?

Sun and Moon - another deck on my wishlist. I like the Thothiness of it and the "dumbing down" of the very complex, abstract, symbol-ridden visual language doesn't disturb me. It would be nice to have a Thoth variation that is not intimidating when reading for others.

But I don't really like the art style. More precise: I like the backgrounds, atmosphere and technique very much, but I have a problem with the depictions of persons. Too cute and comic-y for my liking. Just a little more to the sober side, and this would have been the ideal deck for me. Just look at the Aeon and tell me whether the angel really has to look pose like a Pirelli model. The cards that don't have this "look at me how cute I am"-factor are perfectly fine, like the 5 of Disks.

If you're not that sticklerish, it looks like an interesting variation on basic Thoth ideas - simplified and prettified (Justice), and in some cards with ideas of its own (Strength). There are more cards in the deck that I like than dislike.

Citrin

I much prefer the Thoth-based decks to the RWS-based decks; I'm not sure how I feel about the art.

I really like it! Lovely colors, joyful, but still gives clear messages. I personally question the amount of Thoth in this... I mean, Thoth to me = no people in the minors, no? But it's an easy read, very practical, and nice to work with. :) Some people are annoyed by the fact there are no facial expressions, but I don't mind. I like how the landscape behind the figures is often quite big and beautiful.

MissChiff

This deck is going to be a mini in the tin.....they are taking preorders on the usgames website.