One Tarot Book [to rule them all!]

SunChariot

So many posts are written asking about which Tarot Books are the best for a reader's library... but if you could only choose/pack/purchase/recommend ONE TAROT BOOK TITLE for yourself or anyone else... what would it be? Non-deck specific, non-system specific, non-level specific. One Tarot Book for a reader in general... which would you be forced to chooseand why?

Although I don't believe one Tarot book IS or could be enough, and that it is best to expose yourself ot lots of methods, ideas and ways of thinking about Tarot, IF I had to chose one it would be "A Magical Course in Tarot" I don't actually DO the magical parts at the end, but the book is just excellent

Babs

Wendywu

For me it would be Jean-Michel David's Reading the Marseille. It doesn't tell you what the cards mean; it teaches you how to look at them to understand what they mean for you. It is designed as a course and takes a few months to work through if you do it thoroughly. Absolutely and totally worthwhile!!

Tarot Orat

Agree with the "no such book" responses, but if I had to, I'd say Rachel Pollack's "78 Degrees of Wisdom."

Kangiska

Absolutely clear for me: A magickal course in tarot

minotaur

My choice for the one and only book would be a blank book with lots of pages. I could then write my thoughts as they develop and I would then have the best tarot book for me.

sapienza

Paul Huson's 'Mystical Origins of the Tarot' is ALWAYS the first book I recommend to anyone interested in tarot. While there is no one book that will suit everyone, I believe this one is a great place to start to build up layers of meaning. It's also great in that it has something for beginners as well as those who are experienced.

Chiriku

Paul Huson's 'Mystical Origins of the Tarot' is ALWAYS the first book I recommend to anyone interested in tarot.

You beat me to it, sapienza.

I'll have to offer a runner-up to atone for my tardiness--Robert Place's The Tarot: History, Symbolism and Divination.

gregory

You both beat ME to it too.

But I will name a second: Cynthia Giles: The Tarot. Another real goodie.

Both these are very BACKGROUND. For reading, I would have to go wth Mary Greer's 21 Ways to read a Tarot Card.

sapienza

I'll have to offer a runner-up to atone for my tardiness--Robert Place's The Tarot: History, Symbolism and Divination.
That would probably be my second choice too. :)

gregory said:
For reading, I would have to go wth Mary Greer's 21 Ways to read a Tarot Card.
Yes, a great choice for reading.

Carla

The Huson and Place books are both essential. :) Also, the Pollack 'Wisdom' books, and Greer's '21 Ways' and 'Tarot for Yourself'.

Could I have six books to rule them all?