Dame Fortune - 8 of Cups

Marchal

This is a card I have great problems understanding.
"A young blond woman enjoys herself sailing a boat on the ocean."
Ok, this is the Etteilla blond woman. And the card has something to do with a change of direction and moving on - hence the boat on an ocean of emotion and subconsciousness. But everything on the card seems rather static and unmoving (hmm, or is it meant to be so?) and else the picture does not tell me much, really - perhaps because I do have difficulties understanding how Etteilla came to his interpretation of the 8 of Cups. But even if I just accept Etteilla's interpretation where in Paul Huson's card do I find "Honest, practical, discretion, modesty, moderation, timidity, apprehension, sweetness, consent." or "Satisfaction, happiness, contentment, gaiety, joy, delight, and rejoicing.". Is this a card the meaning of which you just have to learn by heart or does anybody have a better access to it?

martyn_uk

I'm having problems with the whole deck tbh.
I think it's because I'm so used to using the RWS structure for so many years.I haven't found the deck or Etteilla meanings to give me much depth in readings :(

Carla

In the expanded LWB, Huson says, 'This is a card often indicative of a change of direction and moving on, both in upright and reversed positions.' So I use it similar to a traditional RWS 8 of Cups, except for me because she's in a boat, there's a bit less certainty and resolve in her new direction. What those other words have to do with it I don't know, but her face doesn't look to me like she's exultant, and she *is* clutching the side of the boat and gripping the rudder rather prominently.