tarot art nouveau- the lovers VI

misfitknits

the lover's card shows us a man and woman, in a private, heated, passionate moment. there are many elements of pink in this card: pink roses, pink background detail, and a pink ribbon.

oddly, the pink ribbon is wrapped around the embracing couple and tied in front, over the woman's chest, in a bow- as if she were a present waiting to be ravished- i mean, opened! :p it is a little chauvinistic- the woman wrapped in a bow, a new toy awaiting this man for HIM to play with to HIS satisfaction. *but antonella's deck are like this*

but what does all the pink stand for? red is passion. pink *to me* is the more innocent, sweet, gentle color. like new passion, love, lust, whatever. perhaps this is the loss of innocence? our fool's first taste of real sin? the pink really does give a feeling a delicacy, gentleness, the soft, supple, rosy-pink color of a woman's skin.

so, even if the imagery is a tad chauvinistic, my feeling of the card is a very loving, gentle, caring relationship between the couple. there is an underlying hint of PURE sexual desire, though; the woman is wearing a belt featuring the head of a ram (robust, sexual energy) that sits right on her... pleasure center. but the lover's card is not about a one night stand or a friends with benefits sexual relationship, there are real feelings here.

six: assistance, idealism, perfection, change for the better
*add all the above to the number six meanings and we get the idea of looking for a "perfect" partner, our better half. the IDEALISM of love and relationships; someone that will make us happy and we can do the same for them. and "change for the better"? anyone who's experienced real, true love, even lost love, will say that it changed them for the better. "i'd rather have loved and lost, than not have loved at all".

also, add what i wrote at the end of my hierophant post: that the fool gets tired of living under the restrictions of the emperor, goes to seek advice from the hierophant. after the meeting, he decides to leave his home and build a life of his own.

then, looking at the marseilles tradition, the lover's card shows a man having to decide between two women, and so even still today, some people still use that meaning when describing the lover's card. that deciding to take a lover and start a life with them, was the final act of cutting the umbilical cord to their parents. this all goes along with the meanings of the number six.

reversed: this WOULD be the one night stand, friends with benefit sexual relationship. a partnership that's uneven, one in love, the other less interested. using someone with obvious feelings toward you for sex. a loveless relationship. star-crossed lovers. doomed relationship.