VR Combo's: Three of Pentacles/The Fool

Little Baron

I have begun to use two cards for a daily draw, and as much as I think it is interesting and the mix becomes more of a sentence, rather than a word, I do often find my draws confusing.

However, I thought it might be interesting to look at 'combinations' in our Victorian Romantic Study; stirs it all up a bit.

Today, I got the Three of Pentacles and The Fool.

And I laid them out next to each other in that order.

First of all, I notice the following -

The Fool tries to gain the attention of the other three. She waves her little flag right at them. They do not respond, as so focused on what they are doing in their group.

In both cards, one person is the centre of attention. Even though she is a performer, The Fool, is a figure of mockery and sillyness; whereas the old guy is admired and is an example of great skill.

In this, I feel that the combination hints at bringing a fun side into work, projects or anything that you might be taking too seriously. The Fool adds a little spontaneity and unpredictability. Would it be good for the man to try doing something a little different, stray away from what he knows, not be so perfectionist? Maybe a lighter action should be adopted. Maybe he should take a break and do something he doesn't usually do! Go and have a sly pint in the pub with the guy in the '9 of Cups'.

I am finding the 'three' a little difficult to interpret. I think of skill, practice [manual], craft and mastering. I think of perfecting. But when the two cards are together, I think of someone like Picasso. Someone who had all of the manual and technical abilities to rival the great classical painters, but whom preferred to take a chance with his own style - think of the more abstract peices in his later body of work. The Fool gave him this inspiration.

Any other ideas about this combo?

LB

willowfox

Beginning of a joint venture? Planning a new venture?

Sulis

Moderator note

We've moved this from Using Tarot cards as it essentially seems to be part of the Victorian Romantic study.

Please see this study group guideline when posting 'reading' threads in study groups: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=74071

Sulis and Moonbow* - Tarot Study Group moderators.

lilith_in_tree

I'll give it a shot.

I'm very new here, and also very new to the VR and tarot in general. So maybe I'm the Fool, stepping out into the unknown, but I'm going to try.
Comparing these two cards, I notice that there is a child in both of them--it could be the same little girl in fact, observing the skill and workmanship of both the old man and the clown; both adults in these cards might have had long years of training in their fields, and both have something to teach the child about precision, and doing a thing well. If the man isn't careful, the toy he's making could be ruined. If the clown is careless in her act, she might literally fall flat. Maybe this combination of cards could be saying, no matter what endeavor you apply yourself to, wildly creative or sedate and traditional, learn it well.
I hope I've made sense--still trying to learn to articulate what I feel so others understand. :)

Little Baron

Interesting points Lilith.

I hadn't thought of the connection between children watching. But I can see how impressionable they are, now you mention it. Both are watching so intently, not missing a detail [or a trick], arn't they? And in that, maybe there is a lesson on being a good role model. Children need structure in their lives, and the Fool, in some readings, may regard a part-time parent, symbolically - someone that can not offer a real routine in their kids lives, down to having no grounding in their own.
But generally, like you suggest, could others [represented by the watching children], be waiting to see you trip and fall? The Fool is a impulsive character and doesn't care for rule books, instruction manuals or planning, whereas the man in the other picture has probably already made a series of the toys he is shaping, and knows the procedures well. He is about skill and learned workmanship, where she does what she feels as and when she feels it. People are quick to point and condemn when the laughter stops.

I drew these cards the other night and she threw a little unpredictability into the equation. I have been wanting to change my lifestyle a bit for some time and was managing, to some extent. But the other night, with the Fool's influence, I threw caution to the wind and put myself out there on the podium, like this clown does. There were no rules, and it was a flippant reaction to the stuffy way I view constrictions. So in this pairing, I see quite a chaotic shift from one way of functioning or working, to another. She certainly sets the cat amongst the pigeons, doesn't she?

LB

Jewel

I really like the interpretations you guys have come up with for these two cards. Makes a lot of sense.

One of the other things I notice, is that both the fool and the crafstman seem to love what they do. Another message these two cards together could bring added to the one of the best you can be, is pursue a career you love, if you love it poeple will notice (i.e. the children and the audience), and you will live a happier life. Both of these characters took risks in practicing their varied crafts (a performer and an artist) ...

One could also place themselves in the situation of the audience or the children, with a message being to watch and learn, or to be observant.

Grizabella

I just got the VR today as a result of a trade with Rhiamon. It's gorgeous! And seems so readable, too.

I laid these cards out as you did and it looks to me as though the Fool is trying to step over and join the children who are living normal lives instead of performing. She seems to want to just be a normal child and have the fun of watching the man in the 3 of Pentacles make the toy.

My impression from the artisan making a simple toy from the Christmas tree speaks to me on so many levels. One important impression is the fact that the artisan uses his skills to make things for a living, but here he's able to make something just for the joy of using his skill to bring joy to these children. For myself, writing or painting or creating anything else as a paid job and to meet deadlines, (which I've done in my past) no matter how well-paid, isn't nearly as rewarding spiritually and emotionally to me as creating something for a child or as a gift for someone I care about. Even caring for the elderly or working in the hospital, which I really loved doing, was also not as rewarding for me as doing hospice work, which I did purely for the honor of taking another person to the door of the next world with love. It's as much an honor as being at a birth, where another person enters this life. In this card, the man doesn't have to make this toy and doesn't get paid for it, but he's able to do it for the pure joy of the children and the joy he gets from being able to use his art in that way.