Your Top 5 Home Remedies....

LaLaToro

Raw apple cider vinegar will get rid of heartburn. Even the pregnant kind!
Magnesium chloride whether ingested or used topically reduces overtired muscle pain, nerves and just gives you a boost.
Pomegranite capsules (like 5 at a time x2 a day) with lots of water will cure your uti by the end of the day.

celticnoodle

Cough medicine - equal parts lemon juice, honey, and whiskey. Fresh squeezed lemon is best. Add a spoonful or two to a mug of hot tea and sip slowly. For me this works better than any commercial cough suppressant out there. There's not enough whiskey in a spoonful to even get a slight buzz, so personally I think it would be safe for a child, but you'd want to use your own judgement on that.

My dad always gave us kids a shot of whiskey- (Crown Royal) whenever we were sick with anything. His thought was a shot will cure anything. (we were sickly kids. ;) hee hee). We unfortunately would have to wait to get it before going to bed though, as that was the other part of his thoughts--a shot of whiskey and then off to bed!

Raw apple cider vinegar will get rid of heartburn. Even the pregnant kind!
Magnesium chloride whether ingested or used topically reduces overtired muscle pain, nerves and just gives you a boost.
Pomegranite capsules (like 5 at a time x2 a day) with lots of water will cure your uti by the end of the day.

apple cider vinegar is good for a lot. I knew a woman who took this on a daily basis in a glass of water. She told me her mother always gave it to her as a child from a very young age. She was absolutely beautiful and healthy and very fit! She looked at least 10 years younger then her actual age too. I tried to do this myself, but I just can't get past the taste of it - even diluted in water, every day. But, I know it works wonders.

coconut oil is also a wonder. I am now consuming a tablespoon of it on a daily basis in addition to using it as a moisturizer and a facial cleaner. My hopes are that it will help me lose those last few pounds I've been trying so hard to get rid of and also help me be a bit healthier too. It is a wonderful moisturizer and facial cleanser. Also a great go to for small cuts. I rub it in and it seems to take care of it immediately and by the next day or two, you can't even tell I had one. Also suppose to help with a bad thyroid and the list goes on. And, its very inexpensive! :thumbsup:

Barleywine

I can second a couple of these.

Raw apple cider vinegar (for example, Bragg's with the "mother") is truly a wonder. I took Nexium for over 10 years for acid reflux, but since I started taking a daily tablespoon of vinegar in 8 oz. of water with my morning yogurt, I haven't had an episode of reflux in over 2 years now, day or night. Now that Nexium is over-the-counter, I do have some in the medicine cabinet but I think I've taken it only twice since January 2014, usually when I have something especially spicy for dinner. My doctor acknowledges that vinegar works for heartburn, but said it's unusual for it to be an all-day/all-night solution like it is for me.

Another benefit of vinegar is that it completely alleviated the symptoms of my eczema (there is no known cure for it). If I stop taking the vinegar for a couple of weeks, the rash starts slowly coming back, so I suppose it acts as a suppressant. My dermatologist encouraged me to keep trying to find a natural remedy, and this comes pretty close.

Cocunut oil is another miracle-worker, although more subtle. We use it as a moisturizer in the form of a body butter we get from Trader Joe's. We did try taking the oil internally and using it for cooking, but couldn't keep that up.

A third thing I'm trying is mega-doses of flush-free niacin as a substitute for statin drugs in reducing cholesterol. I've been doing it for almost three months now but won't know until my blood work at the end of February whether it's working. I took myself off statins over a year ago, much to my doctor's dismay, because of all the controversy over their long-term safety, and my LDL became mildly elevated.

Finally, we're pursuing - as much as humanly possible - a GMO-free diet. We think genetic tinkering, such as splicing animal DNA into plant genes, is playing with fire.

Milfoil

laLaToro said:

This I can heartily attest to. White specks on your finger nails are often a lack of magnesium. If you take any kind of water tablet or medication to lower blood pressure via kidney function, then often they strip the body of essential minerals like Magnesium. I make my own body butter with Magnesium oil, coconut oil, beeswax etc and by putting it on my feet, where it is absorbed more easily, it gets to work quickly.

A third thing I'm trying is mega-doses of flush-free niacin as a substitute for statin drugs in reducing cholesterol. I've been doing it for almost three months now but won't know until my blood work at the end of February whether it's working. I took myself off statins over a year ago, much to my doctor's dismay, because of all the controversy over their long-term safety, and my LDL became mildly elevated.

I'd be really interested to know how the flush-free niacin compares to the statins Barleywine. I've refused statins, I don't believe there can be a 'one size fits all' when it comes to cholesterol and it is natural for older people to have more LDL cholesterol than younger ones. I'm also very sceptical about the profit side of why the drugs industry push statins so forcefully.

Barleywine

I'd be really interested to know how the flush-free niacin compares to the statins Barleywine. I've refused statins, I don't believe there can be a 'one size fits all' when it comes to cholesterol and it is natural for older people to have more LDL cholesterol than younger ones. I'm also very sceptical about the profit side of why the drugs industry push statins so forcefully.

I'll update you when I get the results sometime in March.

Tanga

1) Raw cranberry juice, table spoons in lots water sipped 3-4 times per day, scares that urinary/kidney infection away.

2) A couple of drops of apple cider vinegar mixed into an eye bath (usually optrex) kills threatening eye infections/conjunctivitis (also good as already discussed for all sorts of other things - for general health because it alkalinises the body, acid reflux, baldness, and hair and skin treatments etc.).

3) For sleeplessness/insomnia - Valerian tea or tincture, Chamomile tea, listening to my favourite sleep track "sounds of rainfall", or also "sounds of the sea" when bundled up in a warm bed.
Also optimum levels of magnesium and B Vitamins help with good sleep.

4) For oncoming colds - that aforementioned mixture of cider vinegar, ginger, lemon, honey, - could be mixed into a hot toddy (whisky) etc. - and garlic on toast, or sage and salt gargle for sore throats; These things are generally really good for this. However some of these things don't agree with me (honey is too sweet - gives me bladder infection immediately, ginger and garlic are way too strong for my stomach, alcohol is also too sweet - sugar, and I'm wheat intolerant) - so I use: a salt water neti (grapefruit seed extract is too strong for me, and I have to be wary of mushrooms), take a high dose of vitamin C, NAC (N-Acetyl Cisteine) and Zinc, pop a number of "Wellness formula" pills (these have a mixture of goldenseal, propolis, olive leaf, Pao d'arco and oregano amoung other things for boosting immunity/fighting infection) - and bundle myself up in a warm bed.

It's a lack of Zinc that causes white spots on the nails - and the opposite - Zinc overload that has the same symptom.
And it's true that a great many of us actually have Vit D3, and Magnesium deficiency.
I supplement regularly with both (I get medically tested for D - as my skin condition means I avoid the sun like a vampire. For magnesium, my nutritionist tests me using kinesiology).

5) For that stomach! (and intestines) Peppermint tea or oil capsules if it's queasy. Magnesium sulphate and sodium bicarbonate if it's refusing to digest what I've put in it.
Charcoal capsules if I'm farting for England (mal-digestion/fermentation).
Bioculture yoghurt (usually goat because I'm intolerant to cow) as often as I can, to keep populating my gut with "good" bacteria.

And oh - I've gone to 6
6) For skin.
Burns - Cool it, disinfect, then cover with honey or arnica gel. Keeping the wound semi-wet means the skin cells can cross the "hole" quicker and will heal with less scarring (can use a sugar water paste to the same effect - but honey has the extra anti-bug properties).

Coconut oil is my default skin moisturiser - and good for healthy gums - brush with it and/or rinse teeth with it (15 mins of slooshing it around in your mouth - it reduces plaque buildup).
I have to be wary of essential oils - I'm skin sensitive (though they're great and I use them lots in an oil burner). Tea tree, and cloves - great for fungus control. Tea tree is antiseptic. Eucalyptus great for respiratory congestion.

I may dab lavender oil onto an insect bite - but I'll use that zapper-click thing (mild electric shock in the skin layer) to stop itching from a bite. I'll use arnica gel on most wounds. Curious to try rubbing tumeric into minor wounds. Lemon oil on a boil, covered with a cotton pad - will take the boil off (did that once - doctor didn't believe I'd even had a boil when I went to double check)
I've always considered an aloe plant for the event of a burn or skin problem - but then after - you have a plant with tatty broken leaves. Lol... Back to the arnica gel.
I'd put honey on a bee sting.

White heads (pimples) - try rubbing the inside of a tomatoe skin on and leave that on overnight. The fruit acid draws it out. (Also a very sharp needle/pin, heated and disinfected first, then prick the top of the whitehead and carefully squeeze it out, disinfect etc...). Almond oil "wash" with a heated flannel can remove black heads. Or try a face mask - mine is made from greyish mineral clay.
For dry nose from months of in-house heating during winter - Almond oil rubbed on the inside of nostrils before bed.

KatieLuvs

My top 3

Baking Soda
Chamomile tea (if you have very upset stomach)
Salad for Digestion every night (with no bread)

Barleywine

So my bad cholesterol (LDL) went down 5 points after taking the flush-free niacin 2 or 3 times a day for three months. I told my primary-care doctor I would continue it for another nine months (until my next physical) to see what happens.

junethird

Hi everyone! I read through a few of these... And i want to add a few of my own tips :)

Last year I tried the baking soda wash and rinsing with apple cider vinegar. It didnt do much for my hair other than dry it out.

I tried the apple cider vinegar bath... Its ok. I did feel a whole lot 'cleaner' of that makes sense, but the smell is just too much to handle in a hot bath.

Last year I started Drinking apple cider vinegar and for almost a full year... I didnt see much difference for myself. It was pretty gross to begin with, so for me i rather not drink but will have it on my salad instead. I do however recomend any type of vinegar for ingrown hairs. I also soak my feet in a half and half mixture during the summer. It clears up everything during the sandle, barefoot season :)

its best to stick with lemon water as a drink. But make sure you rinse your teeth or the acid in both the lemon or vinegar will weaken teeth enamel!

Vitamin D is important. Especially during the winter months.
Vitamin A is also important.

Coconut oil is great as a mouth wash. Or as its called 'oil pulling' Just dont spit it out in your sink. Do it in a wastebasket.

Salt water is also great as a quick mouthwash.

I use coconut oil as a regular face moisturizer. Been about 2 years now. And its great. I also slather it on before i hop in he shower to flesh out my pores and keep my skin from drying out. You have to be careful tho, because sometimes i get carried away and it makes you break out... So a little goes along way. Altho i would highly recomend you make sure its absorbed into your skin a few hrs before you go out into the sun. Or else it acts as a 'taning oil' and well different people react differently so Its best to use it as a night moisturizer in the summer before bedtime :)

For inflammation best to boil a few teaspoons of flaxseeds in water. And drink the gelly water. Yes gelly water. Its kinda interesting the first few times, but it helps so much. It has no memorable taste, but it helps you pee out alot of icky stuff. You can also add lemon juice or sugar to the gelly water. But its best to drink it as is. This drink also heps with my period cramps and period related headaches :)

The gel from the flaxseeds are also a good cure for dry patches. Also a great gel for frizzy hair.

Its also a good source of fiber and best to ground up the flaxseeds before you eat them. Its also best to do it as you need to instead of buying it 'pre ground'.

Oil of oregano is good. I didnt like it too much for myself. But i did use it on a patch of eczema or maybe it was dry skin between my eyebrows. It kinda burned but it cleared it up. So use with caution around face!

Artichokes are great to clear up and detoxify your liver!!!!!

And ladies. Stocking up on extra rich iron foods while on Your menstrual cycle helps!!!

Thats it for me!

Oh and before i forget. Juicimg is a good way to boost your health. Wheat grass is a great source. It helps you glow from the inside put and its great for inflamation. The powder and capsules didnt do much for me - a total waste of money. But jucing the real deal grass or buying it frozen is amazing and does wonders.

Been trying out the liquid chlorophyl - so so. I like the wheat grass better!!!

But make sure youdrink wheatgrass on a full stomach. If you drink it on an empty stomach it may upset you... Altho once it passes you'll feel great lol... So always in moderation. Even if you add cocnut oil to your smoothies. The first time i added 3 large tablespoons - a big no no! It acts as a natural source of 'fiber' (for lack of better words lol) so after major crampimg and funny tummy rumblings you'll want to be near the toilet. So dont go too crazy. Altho again after the nasty ess passes you feel very clean and healthy. But not worth repeating the discomfort. So start small and increase accodingly :)

celticnoodle

Tis the season here now in the U.S. and Canada, anyway, when the days are getting longer, trees are leafing up and plants all coming back to life. Along with this of course comes the not so good parts of spring and summer....the nasty mosquitoes, gnats, spiders, etc. Here is a good mosquito repellent, great for your yard, and you can also use it (in another recipe) for yourself to keep the nasty's far from you. Thankfully, I happen to like garlic, and don't really mind the aroma of it myself, but even more thankfully, when you spray this concoction in your yard and/or home--it loses its aroma quickly for us humans, is non toxic to pets - but the nasty pests listed above can still detect it and will stay far away! :thumbsup:

GARLIC SPRAY FOR YARD AND GARDEN (& home too, I hear) NON TOXIC

the easiest way to do this is to purchase some garlic powder and mix with water to make some garlic water. Put this garlic water into a spray bottle - or for your yard, invest in a large sprayer you can find in Walmart (holds a gallon or more) or hardware stores. You will then spray it around your yard, porch and even inside your home to rid yourself of mosquitoes and gnats. If you can get ahold of some citronella, add a few drops of this to the mix as well--and spray it around to deter even more pests.

Supposedly, one application of the spray should hold pests away for a full 30 days.

If you want to make a fresh spray, rather then using the garlic powder, which could be old in the store--and not so potent, you would need about 1/4 pound of garlic (no need to peel the paper off the garlic bulbs, and put this into a blender. Then, mix with water, and drain it to get rid of any particles of garlic, and put this into the sprayer.

Also, if you use fresh garlic in your meals, save the paper around the garlic, and put this in your garden around some plants--to keep ants and such away from the plants, and thus yard/home.

If you love garlic--increase your garlic intake. Soon enough, your body will smell like garlic to these bugs and they will avoid you as well! It is suppose to also keep black flies away as well.

Another thing to do when you go to grill some food is to first throw some sage leaves and rosemary onto the grill fire--to burn and smoke. Bugs apparently don't like that aroma either.

Also, plant marigolds. the smell of marigolds deter not only insects but some animals too-such as rabbits. Basil, anise and coriander also will repel insects, so include these herbs in your garden as well.

If you are getting ready to paint your home outside, add a few drops of citronella to each gallon of paint--and it will help to keep the flying insects such as mosquitoes and others away from your home as well. Or so I read recently on a website. Worth a try anyway, eh? :)

Now...I would really love a natural remedy for ridding ones home and yard of stink bugs! Anyone know of one? We have these nasty little bugs at the new home. Still better then those God awful Wolf Spiders that we get at the farmhouse--but I still don't want stink bugs either!