"Aha moment" concerning 9 of Swords as what someone truly WANTS

headincloud

Wow, that's an interesting take. I do know that it doesn't apply here but certainly something to keep in mind with this card combo I think.

It's interesting because if you do a couple of cuts around this card it's all to do with the empress rx, ace S rx, magician rx, knight C rx which suggests depression, problems with hormones and mood, wanting to be left alone, lies and secrecy. She could be suffering the effects of drug problems because the 9 in terms of health is paranoia and anguish, empress rx is instability, magician rx is psychosis and knight rx drug problems.

Thirteen

But what about the King/Cups?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Not to say it's definitely true here but that was my sudden theory. Someone who just can't forgive themselves.
You could be right. Obviously, it's your reading and your intuition about these two. But I really think if it was all about forgiveness there's be some other card to indicate that the 9/Swords ought to be read not as sorrow or stress or just not being able to sleep for all the thoughts in your head. That it ought to be read as "I can't forgive myself." Judgement rx, for example, would be the perfect card to indicate that.

But you didn't get Judgement. You got the King/Cups, and we really can't ignore that clarifier. Yes, all Kings are about responsibility and feeling responsible and wanting to be responsible. But none of the Kings would allow themselves to be stuck in that "I'll never forgive myself!" spiral (unless, maybe, if they were rx). That, to them, would be unmanly and irresponsible. They're all about taking care of what others are thinking (swords), feeling (cups), doing (wands), being (pents). About making sure they succeed, or turning around failures. A Knight might tie himself up in knots about his sin, but a King would shrug it off and say, "I'm an adult and stuff needs to get done! Sitting here punishing myself isn't going to do that."

And that should also be taken into account in the pregnancy element. A King/Cups not only *would* take responsibility if his girl got pregnant, but want, very much, to be a father--he wouldn't moan about how unforgivable it is that he got her pregnant, he'd just start taking steps to support her and be whatever he needed to be for her. Does that ring true for this guy? Is he the sort that would be responsible and want to be a dad if she chose to keep the baby? If so, maybe Headincloud is right.

Amanda

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Not to say it's definitely true here but that was my sudden theory. Someone who just can't forgive themselves.

Yes, and I had another thought as well, since you clarified it with the King of Cups -- maybe that person wants to keep their problems to themselves. I think these two cards have 'privacy' in common; they wouldn't want anyone to see them suffering, perhaps.

Thirteen

Yes, and I had another thought as well, since you clarified it with the King of Cups -- maybe that person wants to keep their problems to themselves. I think these two cards have 'privacy' in common; they wouldn't want anyone to see them suffering, perhaps.
That's a good thought. King/Cups certainly keeps his feelings to himself. As a "King" he'd see it as up to him to deal with the emotions in him, to get them under control so that he can go back to helping others.

Sandalwood

Lot of great interps here already. I would read it as the person would like to let the other person really see what he/she's been through and what 'self tormenting events' are still present in him/her. He/she may feel that being able to show/express that, it will create a deeper understanding and calm everything down (king cups). The other then knows where he/she is coming from. Often there's deep shame tied to this though, which is why the 9 of swords tendency is to deal with it alone.

Amanda

That's a good thought. King/Cups certainly keeps his feelings to himself. As a "King" he'd see it as up to him to deal with the emotions in him, to get them under control so that he can go back to helping others.

Yep, exactly! :thumbsup:

Tiggy-cat

none of the Kings would allow themselves to be stuck in that "I'll never forgive myself!" spiral (unless, maybe, if they were rx). That, to them, would be unmanly and irresponsible. They're all about taking care of what others are thinking (swords), feeling (cups), doing (wands), being (pents). About making sure they succeed, or turning around failures. A Knight might tie himself up in knots about his sin, but a King would shrug it off and say, "I'm an adult and stuff needs to get done! Sitting here punishing myself isn't going to do that."

And that should also be taken into account in the pregnancy element. A King/Cups not only *would* take responsibility if his girl got pregnant, but want, very much, to be a father--he wouldn't moan about how unforgivable it is that he got her pregnant, he'd just start taking steps to support her and be whatever he needed to be for her. Does that ring true for this guy? Is he the sort that would be responsible and want to be a dad if she chose to keep the baby? If so, maybe Headincloud is right.

Very interesting point about Kings. That could be true here. I do know for certain that there is no pregnancy involved. But I also suspect IF there were, that he would be strongly guided by his own sense of principles, and would do the right thing the best that he could.

Tiggy-cat

Lot of great interps here already. I would read it as the person would like to let the other person really see what he/she's been through and what 'self tormenting events' are still present in him/her. He/she may feel that being able to show/express that, it will create a deeper understanding and calm everything down (king cups). The other then knows where he/she is coming from. Often there's deep shame tied to this though, which is why the 9 of swords tendency is to deal with it alone.

Yes, it does seem like the 9oS is definitely about solitary misery rather than public drama or heart to heart commiserations with another. Maybe this means he'd like to be able to "spill" his true feelings, but feels he needs to act as the King would, and show a steady facade. Thank you for pointing this out!

headincloud

Oh it's a guy well that throws some light on things. Is he a player perhaps and something's gone badly wrong? Guess we could debate forever really without the other cards as a reference, can u remember what they were by any chance. If not perhaps you could use the 9 as a significator and build a spread around it to get some insight.

Tiggy-cat

Oh it's a guy well that throws some light on things. Is he a player perhaps and something's gone badly wrong? Guess we could debate forever really without the other cards as a reference, can u remember what they were by any chance. If not perhaps you could use the 9 as a significator and build a spread around it to get some insight.

Hi Headincloud. Well, it was a 4-card reading but that card was for the position of what he really WANTED to do, (other cards represented what he felt he OUGHT to do, intended to do, etc.) So with that in mind it's even more cryptic. I later pulled out the 9oS again and laid it down asking to understand it better and drew that KoC as the clarifier, but that's all the relevant cards.