Tarot Deck Creation Study Group

blue_fusion

Creating a tarot with a three-suit minor arcana

hi. i've been thinking of creating my second tarot deck, and am planning to make it minor arcana a three-suit one, instead of the usual four. (actually, i've posted a thread about it somewhere in this forum). anyways, i'm incline to make the three suits on the greek moirae (goddesses of fate), meanig the suits will be loom, measuring rod, and shears. anyway, i would really appreciate it if you guys could give me your opinions and musings on this. thanks.

by the way, if you want to view my first deck, it's here:

http://necromance.topcities.com

blessed be!

kayne

Hey Blu_Fusion,
I split this thread so it would become a new one but I need to work out how to change the title... Hmm...

That is a really interesting concept BF... Would you have more than the standard amount of cards in each suit?

blue_fusion

kayne said:
Hey Blu_Fusion,
I split this thread so it would become a new one but I need to work out how to change the title... Hmm...

That is a really interesting concept BF... Would you have more than the standard amount of cards in each suit?

i'd want the suits to come up to 13 (aside from the court cards). cuz i believe that the number 13 also has a significance in the occult (and also tocompensate for the lack of the fourth suit). well, my first idea, since the suits will be based on the three fates, what will the aces signify?

HudsonGray

Actually I'm wondering what you'll be loosing out of by cutting out an entire suit. Even adding extra cards to the other 3, that only uses 9, which will be shuffled between the other suits (could loose continuity that way). Would you keep the same major arcana? Add a few more there to make up for lost court cards?

I've seen decks that added an extra suit (spirit/spirituality/aura) but cutting out a section seems like there'd be a gap in what's able to be shown when you use the deck.

truthsayer

blue fusion,
i really like your sailer moon deck. i also like your idea about doing a deck on the moirae. have you considered making it an oracle deck rather than a tarot? that way you could create exactly what you have in mind instead of following a centuries old divination structure like tarot. you could still loosely have a tarot format but wouldn't have to worry about having 4 suits or creating pre-conceived expectations from others for a regular tarot deck.

blue_fusion

truthsayer said:
blue fusion,
i really like your sailer moon deck. i also like your idea about doing a deck on the moirae. have you considered making it an oracle deck rather than a tarot? that way you could create exactly what you have in mind instead of following a centuries old divination structure like tarot. you could still loosely have a tarot format but wouldn't have to worry about having 4 suits or creating pre-conceived expectations from others for a regular tarot deck.

that would be nice. but i'm foresseing that my problem would be that i need some sort of structure or guidline to base my cards on. your suggestions to the meanings of the minor arcana cards would be most welcome. :)

truthsayer

each suit is represented by a different goddess. one is the spinner. one cuts the thread and one is the weaver-i think. i'd study the myths and use these as guidelines to create a personality for each fate. piers anthony wrote a fantasy book around them. something like "a tangled skein" or something like that. it's part of the incarnations of immortality series. another side of the 3 goddesses is that they represented the 3 faces of the goddess=maiden, mother, crone.

i don't know if this helps or not but it's all that comes to mind.

blue_fusion

truthsayer said:
each suit is represented by a different goddess. one is the spinner. one cuts the thread and one is the weaver-i think. i'd study the myths and use these as guidelines to create a personality for each fate. piers anthony wrote a fantasy book around them. something like "a tangled skein" or something like that. it's part of the incarnations of immortality series. another side of the 3 goddesses is that they represented the 3 faces of the goddess=maiden, mother, crone.

i don't know if this helps or not but it's all that comes to mind.

hey thanks. erm, would you have any suggestions as to the meanings of the specific minor arcana cards themselves? :)

truthsayer

let me think about it. do you have the mythology deck? i can't remember the specific card used to rep the fates but that's one place i'm going to check. i'm also going to check a book on the 3 faces of the goddess.

blue_fusion

i'm thinking of making the court cards patterned after the 3 faces of the goddess, with a fourth one for the particular moira herself, thus: maiden, mother, crone, lachesis/clotho/atropos. what do you guys think about this? also, what do you think the aces mean in such a deck? :)