on the bottom shelf i noticed... merged with How did you get started?

LotusSong

In retrospect, I truly believe I was "meant" to read tarot. Yes, laugh all you want. ;x

I was first exposed in the 7th grade when a friend of mine brought this tiny little deck to school one day and did readings out of her LWB. I quickly forgot about it.

A long time later, a video game came out that made a splash in the gaming communities. In this one livejournal community I liked to read (a place where people upload anonymous pictures with fandom-related secrets on them), an end-game spoiler was mentioned for this game. I thought it was very interesting, but quickly forgot about it and moved on. I'm almost certain the name of this game was not mentioned anywhere specifically.

Over a year after that, my mother turned to me one evening and said she was going to drop by Toys-R-Us after my little sister went to the dentist, and wanted to know if their were any video games I wanted. Suddenly, I recalled the end-game spoiler and after a bit more thinking, the name of the game came to me. After looking it up online to make sure it was correct, I asked her to buy it for me. I knew absolutely nothing about the game except this spoiler, but I wanted it.

After she returned home empty-handed, I became obsessed with it. Oh how I burned for that game! The few pieces of knowledge I had consumed me and it was all I could think about. My mother, being the awesome mom she is, ordered it online for me and I simply chomped at the bit.

When it got to my house, I played it for hours. I adored it. At the beginning of the game, I had noticed each main character was represented by a different Greek mythological figure (expect one, who is a Catholic saint). I did research into these myths and was blown away at how the figures tied into each character's personalities and actions.

Much later on, sometime after the crazy school nurse lectured the class on tarot, I noticed each of the main characters also had a different major arcana tied to them. So I thought, if the Greek figures added so much to my understanding of these characters, why shouldn't the major arcana do the same thing?

I started at Wikipedia of all places and the search for answers was hard. So much of it made so little sense to me, and the things I did understand turned out to be wrong later. I grew frustrated. One of the cards I understood nothing about was tied to my favorite character. It was stumbling upon a representation of the Fool's Journey on a completely unrelated message board that helped me both understand the card and made me view that character in a whole new light (this was even before he did something I feel truly embodies that card!).

Several months later, as my mother and I were in Barns and Noble looking for books on forensics, I turned around and saw a display case with some decks. I recognized the RWS as being the deck where Strength was at 8, like in the game, and saw it came bundled with a book. My mother bought it for me for my birthday.

The character I loved whom made me continue to look for understanding, even thought I was frustrated and lost, was represented by The Hierophant. I later discovered The Hierophant is my soul card (I'm still shocked!). It also turned out that the day I received my first deck, on my birthday, marked my exit from the year of Death (where I did I lot of transforming) into the year of The Hierophant.

After I got my first deck (and certain plot events *coughoctoberfourthcough*), my interest in the game has gone from intense passion to almost apathy. I can hardly play it anymore. (I did however pick up the next one in line, which starts with a tarot card reading. <3)

So many random elements came into alignment to bring me here. If I didn't remember the game's name, if I hadn't found that post, if we didn't go into that bookstore, ugh! I feel kind of ill when I think about it. It's going back over the events that brought me here that made me realize that there is less "random chance" and "coincidence" out there than I originally thought. I'm slowly starting to think that perhaps, all things really do happen for a reason.

So, yeah. tl;dr. Sorry, I just wanted to get it all out there for once. >.>;

zan_chan

LotusSong said:
In retrospect, I truly believe I was "meant" to read tarot. Yes, laugh all you want. ;x

I think that if there's anywhere in the world where no one at all is going to laugh at a statement like that, this would be it! I think we all feel like that, in one way or another-- I know I do anyway.

And see, people are always saying that nothing good comes from video games. What do they know?? (What game series are you talking about, btw? I'm a gamer too!)

EDT- just saw your profile-- must be Persona !

canid

I was 15 I think. I had been forbidden to associate with my gypsy Rose tea leaf/tarot reading Hungarian grandma because my mom is paranoid schizophrenic & she had *issues* with her mother. Waaah. (Sorry, Mommy Dearest has *issues* with everyone on the planet.) When I saw a, yes, yellow box at a head shop I just had to have it. I played with it. Then when I learned how to drive at 16 I started secretly visiting gran & it was awesome. She passed away when I was a senior in high school. I was the last person to see her alive; she was in a coma & all the docs said she didn't know anything. Well, I demanded to be allowed to see her (MY Mommy Dearest was even there at the event!) I caressed her hand & kissed her forehead, telling her she HAD to wake up, she hadn't taught me Hungarian yet. She blew me a kiss & passed on. And the doctors didn't believe me, the ***holes. God, I'm crying all over again.

rif

nisaba said:
I look at those publicity shots, and just wonder what her kisses felt like ...

Like whiskey, to match her voice! ;)

I "officially" got started with tarot in the early-mid 90s, as an extension of my metaphysical interests/studies during college years. The new age shop in the college town had a huge selection of decks. I don't know if I saw them at that store first, if they were simply another unknown occult subject that I could explore, or if they were recommended in the magical literature I was reading at the time. (Lots of Golden Dawn and hermetic material.) *shrug* But there I was, and here I am.

Technically, I might have discovered tarot earlier. At some point I made my own tarot deck using artwork out of my D&D book and magazine collection. I have to think that pre-dates the college years when I was able to buy decks; but I honestly can't remember when I made it. High school, I believe, as I'd have free access to a library photocopier. Back then I had access to new age materials at the library: thoughtforms and charging crystals. Very different from my hermetic interests in college! :) I still have that deck, I should look it up. I laminated each card by hand; it's thicker than my Grand Etteilla! :D

Anyhoo... yeah, that's what happened for me. Thanks in part to this forum, I branched out from tarot -- something I never thought to do! -- and discovered the joys of reading Lenormand and playing cards. Always something new to learn!

zan_chan

canid said:
I was 15 I think. I had been forbidden to associate with my gypsy Rose tea leaf/tarot reading Hungarian grandma because my mom is paranoid schizophrenic & she had *issues* with her mother. Waaah. (Sorry, Mommy Dearest has *issues* with everyone on the planet.) When I saw a, yes, yellow box at a head shop I just had to have it. I played with it. Then when I learned how to drive at 16 I started secretly visiting gran & it was awesome. She passed away when I was a senior in high school. I was the last person to see her alive; she was in a coma & all the docs said she didn't know anything. Well, I demanded to be allowed to see her (MY Mommy Dearest was even there at the event!) I caressed her hand & kissed her forehead, telling her she HAD to wake up, she hadn't taught me Hungarian yet. She blew me a kiss & passed on. And the doctors didn't believe me, the ***holes. God, I'm crying all over again.

Wow, canid, that's such a beautiful story and so nice of you to share it with us here. It's so nice that you were able to have those final moments with her.

I love that you call mom Mommy Dearest. Next time she bugs you, just tell her that you are NOT one of her fans. haha

gregory

My SO bought himself a Waite deck in about 1974. (I don't know why; I think it was to do with studying Yeats.)

I was cross. He had something I didn't. Then in K-Mart (!!) I saw a 1JJ. Not as nice, but MINE.

Then wandering through Toronto one day I saw a Thoth - wow, a DIFFERENT One..... (and this was in the early 70s; it was a nice white box one... :D)

And THEN...... on Queen Street East one day, I came across the Occult Shop.

I was lost.

It still exists, but has moved up into York, if anyone needs an address.... })

So - my first was rage; my second the wow factor and the rest is history :|

canid

zan_chan said:
Next time she bugs you, just tell her that you are NOT one of her fans. haha

Haha! I'm certainly not, at the moment. Her current drama has been to accuse me of stealing all her money, *she wiped me OUT!* telling everyone, including filing a police report. She's very delusional & picks & chooses who to hate at a given time. Guess it's my turn again. Problem here is, she has Alzheimer's & I was the very last person willing to help her. Oy.

zan_chan

Gregory, KMart of all places. I like it. Nice humble beginnings. And it's fun to be able to think of the 1JJ as Patient Zero from now on :)

And in my experience, rage is always a good reason to get started with something haha.

Thanks for the story!

zan_chan

rif said:
Like whiskey, to match her voice! ;)

I still have that deck, I should look it up. I laminated each card by hand; it's thicker than my Grand Etteilla! :D

Wow-- that must be a joy to shuffle!

Le Fanu

zan_chan said:
Why did a young, Hugh Grant-looking, Oxford-bound Le Fanu decide that tarot was an interesting road to go down?
I suppose I did have quite floppy hair at the time. Very early 80s, the longest fringe, the frilliest New Romantic shirt on the block :D

I was a pale, over-sensitive child, given to reading true ghost stories and Dennis Wheatley novels. My Mum bought an encyclopedia from the book club called "The Encyclopedia of Magic and Superstition". If I remember rightly, it had a photo on the dustjacket of a woman sacrificing a chicken over a bonfire :bugeyed:.

But there were pictures of tarot cards in it (forget which edition, must check when I'm next at my parent's house). I was intrigued. I was sure someone had said the local bookshop sold tarot cards. It was as if someone had told me that magic was within reach.

So I went down to the local bookshop with my pocket money and found the tarot card section (this must have been about 1982). I remember, they had a Thoth set, an 1JJ set, a Hermetic, a Tarot Classic. I loved the box of the Grimaud Grand Egyptian Tarot (?) and bought that. Wrong choice really, Etteilla, and could only be read with the LWB. I enjoyed playing with the deck though. Loved the backs and was intrigued by the images. Nobody ever said at this time "oooh, go with the flow, develop your own meanings, do one-card draws". That's quite a recent trend, I'm sure :D.

My best friend Matthew's mother had an 1JJ Swiss deck and when I was at his house next, I had a look at that close up, then went and bought one a few weeks later. Then the Spanish Tarot, then the Balbi, then (one very rainy day) the Blue Box Rider-Waite Smith, then the Royal Fez Morroccan. Then another friend, Michael, had bought a copy of the Cagliostro and didn't want it, so I bought it. Then I sold a book Id be given for Christmas to be able to buy the Grimaud Ancient Tarot of Marseilles. Thus the addiction started...

I just couldn't stop and 1982 hadn't even finished yet...